PDA

View Full Version : Vegan pub food

squigaletta
Jan 10th, 2009, 11:24 AM
I didn't really know where to put this, so feel free to move!

The chef at the pub where I work is re-doing the menu and has told me that if there are any vegan recipes I want to add I can just bring in the recipe, make it and they will add it to the menu! They have veggie burgers that aren't vegan so I'm going to suggest they get vegan ones of those instead but I also wanna suggest something else they can add. I'm so excited but don't really know what to suggest. What would you guys like to order if you went for lunch/dinner at a pub. The food is of a pretty high standard but is 'pub' food. I was thinking of mains and puddings too.
Maybe a pasta dish?

threeheadedpuppy
Jan 10th, 2009, 11:55 AM
Side salad!

Okay, you can probably do better ;) I'd like to see more mezza platter starter dishes, as they are fun to share, and usually really easy to make vegan. Crudités with a few dips are always nice. Or falafels with warm pitta, hummus, baba ghannouge and salad.
For a main dish, I think some sort of pastry thing - pie, with chips/veg/gravy is a classic pub dish, but never vegan, so you could find an easy recipe for that!

I'm so jealous! I wish our local pubs would spruce up their menus!

Ruby Rose
Jan 10th, 2009, 12:05 PM
How fantastic, squigs - what a good influence you must be! How about getting them to veganise a curry with all the trimmings? Also, falafel is a winner with omnis and right-thinking people alike!

Cherry
Jan 10th, 2009, 12:22 PM
That's so cool. What kind of thing do they normally do? I agree with threeheadedpuppy: pie and chips :) Or shepherd's pie maybe. And sticky toffee pudding :D Mmmm.

Ruby Rose
Jan 10th, 2009, 12:46 PM
Oh yes! Puddings!

Risker
Jan 10th, 2009, 03:11 PM
Penne Rigate with Artichoke Hearts, Sun-Dried Tomatoes, Olives and Basil

400g Penne Pasta
1 Onion, chopped
2 Cloves Garlic, crushed
8 Sun dried tomatoes, chopped
1 Tin Chopped tomatoes
1 Tin Artichoke hearts, sliced
50g Black olives (Pitted)
Fresh basil to garnish

Heat 1 tbsp of olive oil in a large saucepan, add the onion, cover and cook until tender (not brown), stir in the garlic and cook for a couple more minutes then add the sun dried tomatoes and chopped tomatoes. Leave to simmer gently while you cook the pasta.

When the pasta is ready add the artichokes and olives to the sauce and season. When heated through combine the pasta with the sauce.

Top with ripped basil leaves.

(From Rose Elliots vegan feasts, I was going to give this recipe to a local pub round here that said they would do a vegan dish if I provided a recipe but I never got around to it.)

buttons
Jan 11th, 2009, 05:47 PM
A good vegan casserole. With legumes and such.

Hemlock
Jan 11th, 2009, 06:58 PM
Mushroom and potato puff pastry pie, I was going to say ale but they are bound to use an isinglass based ale.
Mushroom stroganoff.
Chickpea casserole.
Even a useless chef should be able to manage those!!!

Corum has pissed off every pub in the vicinity by going in and demanding that the manager put vegan food on the menu. However, we do now have a choice of local pubs that now do vegan food :)

harpy
Jan 11th, 2009, 07:50 PM
Nice work squigaletta! For a pub it probably has to be something they can freeze in portions and then heat up quickly, does it?

Home-made vegan shepherds' pie is something I've had in pubs so I assume they can do it easily. There are loads of recipes for that around, including one in the Vegan Society's catering leaflet which I assume is suited to institutional kitchens. [ETA sorry - I see Cherry's already suggested this!]

As well as a homemade dish, perhaps you could suggest they have some vegan sausages in the freezer, then they could do a vegan version of sausages and chips or mash (I'm assuming they have this stuff on the menu and could do the spuds without animal products if they don't already). That would give an extra option for vegans with minimal effort on their part.

A chunky vegetable soup would be something that everyone would eat, not just vegans.

Corum
Jan 11th, 2009, 08:59 PM
Mushroom and potato puff pastry pie, I was going to say ale but they are bound to use an isinglass based ale.
Mushroom stroganoff.
Chickpea casserole.
Even a useless chef should be able to manage those!!!

Corum has pissed off every pub in the vicinity by going in and demanding that the manager put vegan food on the menu. However, we do now have a choice of local pubs that now do vegan food :)

near us...
There's the Smugglers, Alfriston, which does Veggie Sausages (though I'm going to check on that before committing to it...
in Lewes, there's the Royal Oak (v. burger), The Lewes Arms (ask for the v. chilli without the mayo, and the burger's still vegan + I gave them one of the vegan society cards I got from our local group) and you've got the Snowdrop (again, v. burger AFAIK);
the Giant's Rest, Wilmington (they can veganise the veggie menu)

I'm still working on the Golden Galleon after their crap performance back in October - which is a shame as they used to do some good food as well as their beer! (then again, in those days, it had a flourishing microbrewery as well)

As Hemlock says, I'm working on it!!! :D

Mr Flibble
Jan 12th, 2009, 02:30 PM
Spotted dick

Hemlock
Jan 12th, 2009, 02:51 PM
Spotted dick

Trust you :D

squigaletta
Jan 12th, 2009, 03:25 PM
Update: I've basically been offered the job of head chef now, so should be able to do more than just the odd dish :D:D:D!!! It is a pretty good pub actually, pretty sensitive to veganism and has falafel and stuff all ready. deffo going to suggest sausage and mash, going to make veganise the veggie burgers we have on atm (they have egg in, boooo) and really like the idea of doing shepherds pie. Have also been thinking about a fishcake using seaweed. as for puddings, I am addicted to making vegan baked goods any way, so will attepmt to veganise all the cakes they have, and maybe if I'm lucky persuade them to buy some soya cream, (will get custard powder and make it up with rice/soy milk). Ooooo I can't wait. Makes it worth have to have worked with burgers and bacon for the past month and a half!!!

harpy
Jan 12th, 2009, 03:31 PM
Brilliant, congratters on the promotion! You'll have to tell us where this pub is sometime so we can all come and try your cuisine when we're in that neck of the woods.

There are quite a lot of vegetarians round Bristol, aren't there, so I bet it will be good for business!

Gorilla
Jan 12th, 2009, 03:45 PM
yes congratulations indeed squigaletta :)

Fungus
Jan 12th, 2009, 03:56 PM
A good vegetable soup or a chickpea curry etc could be a pretty easy one ..

cxmnz
Jan 12th, 2009, 06:24 PM
Good work! I've found that a lot of the time I'm able to make vegan puddings that even the most picky omni wouldn't notice is vegan until I tuck in.

Apart from the obvious slab of meat, it wouldn't be too hard to put together an almost entirely vegan menu that no one would or could object to without even raising the cost.

All this talk has given me a craving for custard now...

KayJay
Jan 14th, 2009, 09:17 PM
Congrats on the promotion! I agree with Harpy re the bangers & mash, but a vegan Sunday roast would be fantastic!