PDA

View Full Version : carob shakes/smoothies

veganedgehiphop
Jan 10th, 2009, 07:35 PM
I suffered a mouth injury which is keeping me away from most hard foods and pushing me towards more smoothies and shakes. I also do not eat chocolate, so I figured carob might be worth trying.

What are some good smoothie or shake ideas that have carob in them? Is there carob powder? Is any carob not vegan?

mariana
Jan 11th, 2009, 12:25 AM
My dad doesn't eat chocolate, and I've made him a carob shake before. I just modified a chocolate shake I usually make. You can get carob powder at most health food stores. I guess there are probably carob powders that have milk or milk derivatives in them, but I just used pure carob powder. For the shake, I think (hope I'm remembering correctly!) I used 1 cup of soya milk, 1-2 tablespoons of carob powder, and 1 frozen banana (cut into slices and freeze over night). The banana should make it sweet, so you don't need to add sweetener unless you want to.

Fuhzy
Jan 11th, 2009, 05:08 AM
I never really understood the difference between carob and cocoa and cacao....

Roxy
Jan 11th, 2009, 09:20 AM
I quite like the taste of carob. Thanks for the idea hiphop and thanks for the recipe mariana. :)

mariana
Jan 11th, 2009, 04:15 PM
Hope you enjoy it. :) (And I hope I remembered that correctly! You can just play around with the proportions until it's creamy enough. You might need to add ice too if your bananas aren't frozen enough.)

mariana
Jan 11th, 2009, 04:18 PM
Fuhzy--I could be totally wrong but I thought cacao referred to the bean and cocoa was after it was processed. Carob is a different bean entirely (and naturally sweeter, apparently).

squigaletta
Jan 13th, 2009, 07:33 PM
banana karma makes me happy :). carob shakes sound delish, I need to get into my smoothie making more!

choptveg
Jan 13th, 2009, 08:54 PM
Just got a smoothie maker / blender for xmas.

I've been having a lot of fun using coconut milk actually, bit of lime too and you're on track for a non-alcoholic pina colada

Have found hemp seed really good in smoothies too - the texture might not be for everyone though

veganedgehiphop
Jan 18th, 2009, 11:14 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions.

I've been adding a tablespoon or so of carob powder to my usual banana/soymilk/soyicecream shakes, and it's wonderful! Hot carob drink with agave nector as the sweetener is great too.

Elahiya
Jan 18th, 2009, 11:40 PM
thatīs great to hear that we were able to give you some advice!!! have you also already tried to add some peanut butter? sometimes itīs nice as well...

veganedgehiphop
Jan 19th, 2009, 01:54 AM
Yeah, nut butter is awesome in smoothies and shakes. I like almond butter the best.

Mr Flibble
Jan 19th, 2009, 02:14 PM
I never really understood the difference between carob and cocoa and cacao....

Some people use cocoa and cacao interchangably but technically speaking cacao is the plant, cocoa is the finished ingredient after processing (as in butter or solids/powder).

Apparently cocoa may have been originally a mispelling of cocao

Carob is a different plant

Nyx
Jan 23rd, 2009, 05:31 PM
veganhiphop: OMG Hot carob with agave! That sounds amazing! *runs to kitchen*