PDA

View Full Version : Shepherd's Pie - YUM!

socalveggie
Jan 12th, 2009, 04:11 PM
Vegan Shepherd’s Pie

This is a non-traditional shepherd’s pie to which I have added chipotle pepper and cilantro. If you don’t like those flavors, you could substitute thyme and parsley, maybe rosemary. Yeah, that might be nice too!

Ingredients
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 garlic cloves chopped
1 onion diced
2 large carrots diced small
4 large parsnips diced small (we love parsnips)
3-4 celery stalks, diced small
1 package St. Yves ground “beef”
1 can diced tomatoes DRAINED (14.5)
1 can tomato paste
3 large potatoes
1 handful of chopped cilantro
½ teaspoon chipotle pepper
1 cup vegetable broth
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
salt
pepper

Instructions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

“Potato Top”
Peel, chop, and boil potatoes until soft enough to mash. Drain and place in big bowl. Add ½ cup regular unflavored soy milk, chopped cilantro, Dijon mustard, chipotle pepper, and salt. Mash by hand OR use electric mixer to mix to desired texture. Set aside.

“Meat Bottom”
Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil to frying pan. Add garlic, onions, carrots, parsnips and celery. Saute until golden and soft, about 10-12 minutes. Add St. Yves mince meat, tomato paste, tomatoes, and veggie stock. Stir until evenly distributed, about 3 minutes or until the mixture becomes kind of thick. Remove from heat.

Place “meaty bottom” in rectangular glass casserole (9 x 4 x 2). Smooth “potato top” on top of meat mixture.

Bake in oven for 20 minutes or until desired golden top. Allow to cool for 5 minutes.

Serves 3-6.

BlackCats
Jan 12th, 2009, 04:19 PM
That sounds delicious. I haven't had shepherd's pie in ages. I don't think I have any veggie mince in the freezer or I would be tempted to make that when I get in tonight. I could use lentils instead I suppose.:satisfied:

hedge
Jan 12th, 2009, 05:03 PM
Sounds YUM!
Because Mince is impossible to find here I always sub this with Lentils in my Shepherds Pie - soooo tasty and good.

beanstew
Jan 12th, 2009, 06:21 PM
I love Shepherd's Pie. It's so tasty and filling. I usually use a mix of sweet potatoes and potatoes for the top and veggie mince (or lentils), carrots, mushrooms, tomato, celery and onion for the bottom. I like sliced tomato, Cheezly and a generous splash of veggie Worcestershire sauce on the top too. I normally have it with some greens.

BlackCats
Jan 12th, 2009, 07:49 PM
That sounds nice Beanstew, I was wondering what you would serve the pie with, my husband said chips :rolleyes: but greens would be much more healthy.

hedge
Jan 12th, 2009, 08:21 PM
My other half always has the leftovers the next day with Chips!!
:rolleyes:

beanstew
Jan 12th, 2009, 08:24 PM
Peas (cooked with spring onions for extra yum) are good with pie too.

BlackCats
Jan 14th, 2009, 06:00 PM
I tried to make Shepherd's pie yesterday but it came out a bit wrong because I burnt the potatoes whilst I was chatting on the phone. It was nice though, I mashed the unburnt parts of the potatoes with soya cream and I put the peas in the lentil mince part.:)

wendy
Jan 25th, 2009, 02:33 PM
This one is popular:
hepherd’s Pie

This pie is the perfect comfort food for a cold winter evening.

4 medium potatoes, diced
2 Tbsp. margarine
1/4 cup soy milk or liquid nondairy creamer
Salt and pepper, to taste
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
12 oz. faux ground beef-style crumbles (try Yves® Veggie Ground Round)
1 10.5-oz. can Campbells mushroom gravy (or 1 1/4 cups prepared vegetarian gravy of your choice)
1 6-oz. can mixed peas and carrots, drained
Salt, garlic powder, pepper, and cayenne, to taste

• Boil the potatoes for 20 minutes, or until tender. Drain and mash with the margarine and soy milk or nondairy creamer. Season with salt and pepper.
• In a medium pan, sauté the onion in the oil until translucent.
• In a medium bowl, mix the cooked onions, faux beef crumbles, mushroom gravy, peas and carrots, and spices. Pour into a pie pan. Top the crumble mixture with the potatoes, spreading to the edges.
• Bake in a 350°F oven for 30 to 40 minutes, until the potatoes are browned and the crumble mixture bubbles out the edges.

Risker
Jan 25th, 2009, 03:21 PM
I wouldn't dream of putting soya mince (or any other faux meat product) in my shepherds pie, not with all the effort it takes to make one.

BlackCats
Jan 25th, 2009, 03:48 PM
^ I think adding veggie mince gives it a nice gloopy texture.:) But lentils are very nice too, or both actually.

I want to make this again tonight now.:thumbsup:

finnjax
Jun 14th, 2009, 03:45 PM
My local health store do a nice Shephard's pie with Aduki beans instead of faux meat, plus a good amount of veggie Worcester sauce.

Sarah_
Jun 19th, 2009, 06:05 AM
As Risker said, I'm always afraid to put mock meats into anything I cook for fear it'll ruin it. I recently made Isa's chili from VWAV and the seitan made the whole thing godawful.

Buddha Belly
Jun 19th, 2009, 09:58 AM
I do a quick and easy one. Cooked onion with TVP that has been hydrated in Bisto gravy. Dash of Worcester sauce then add mash.

fooldramaqueen
Oct 29th, 2009, 11:33 AM
Tinned green lentils always go into my shepherd's pie, veggie bolognese & chilli - it beefs it up a bit (pardon the expression) and is a cheeky way to get a bit of extra lentil goodness into my other half :D

BlackCats
Nov 8th, 2009, 11:34 AM
^ I've never tried tinned lentils.:smile:

I am going to make a Shepherd's pie today and have it with broccoli or green beans, or maybe both.:satisfied:

Buddha Belly
Nov 8th, 2009, 06:52 PM
I've started to add some balsamic vinegar as it adds sweet and sour tang to the 'mince'.