PDA

View Full Version : Fermented Tofu/Bean Curd

imothepixie
Jan 13th, 2009, 10:11 PM
Not sure if this is the right place to put this but I've heard tell its a bit like very stinky cheese!

Most people Vegan and Non-Vegan go Urgh! :dizzy: if given a little taste!

I'm a huge fan of the stuff and have a little nibble and put it in soups and stews as well as/instead of miso or stock etc.

Have you had some and :eek:? Anybody a fan? Any ideas for Recipes?

mariana
Jan 13th, 2009, 10:23 PM
Ooh, is that like stinky tofu (chou dou fu)? I've always wanted to try it! Where do you get it? (I thought I had to go to Asia to try it.)

imothepixie
Jan 13th, 2009, 10:26 PM
Ooh, is that like stinky tofu (chou dou fu)? I've always wanted to try it! Where do you get it? (I thought I had to go to Asia to try it.)

Most Chinese Supermarkets seem to have some form or other (and a number of other vegan delights!)

mariana
Jan 13th, 2009, 10:34 PM
The Chinese supermarket I go to doesn't have any. :( Time for me to find a new Chinese supermarket!! :)

Cherry
Jan 13th, 2009, 11:25 PM
Urgh. Mr Flibble, where did you get that jar that you had? Was it 'Cho Mee' in Cambridge? It absolutely stank, even through a sealed glass jar :D

twinkle
Jan 13th, 2009, 11:48 PM
Most Chinese Supermarkets seem to have some form or other (and a number of other vegan delights!)

Have you been to Wang Fung Hong, and if so do they have it there? I've always wanted to try this since I first heard about it, although I have to admit I'm a little bit afraid! :umm:

imothepixie
Jan 14th, 2009, 12:11 AM
Have you been to Wang Fung Hong, and if so do they have it there? I've always wanted to try this since I first heard about it, although I have to admit I'm a little bit afraid! :umm:

Yep! they seem to have quite a variety! Cans, glass pots and Chinese style jars ...Including the chinese version of Kimchi (Korean stinky veg! that is scary stuff to be afraid of!)

bryzee86
Jan 14th, 2009, 09:14 AM
The Chinese supermarket I go to doesn't have any. :( Time for me to find a new Chinese supermarket!! :)

One of the biggish ones in Chinatown has it.

mariana
Jan 14th, 2009, 11:52 AM
Thanks Bryzee. I'll have to go have a look. :)

rainleaf
Apr 13th, 2009, 06:52 PM
actually. tofu has a lot of antinutrients (poisonous stuff) that disapears while fermented. everything fermented is actually much more healthy. same with kimchi, it enable ut to digest food more easily, (sheep, horses etc) have more stomachs to be able to digest things as grass.... we need sone times a bit of help fr nature= good bacteria coming fr fermentation.