PDA

View Full Version : Vegan London, part 2

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22

BlackCats
Jun 5th, 2009, 10:46 AM
I don't know if I just have never seen it but where can you buy seitan in London?

No one knows? Or is it that you can't buy seitan in this country?:confused:

bradders
Jun 5th, 2009, 10:48 AM
I've only ever seen it made into things never plain in shops

harpy
Jun 5th, 2009, 12:34 PM
You used to be able to get seitan "cutlets" and stuff like that in Fresh and Wild - not sure if you still can, but will try and remember to look next time I'm in one. Think I've seen them in Infinity Foods too.

The mock duck you get in tins in places like H&B and Chinese supermarkets is also made of seitan.

Marrers
Jun 5th, 2009, 12:47 PM
Harpy is right, they also do seitan sausages and slices for sandwiches or salads. I have seen seitan in a jar at a vegan fayre too.
(None of this is quite like the yummy home made stuff you get in restaurants in New York though.)

helen105281
Jun 5th, 2009, 12:48 PM
We got Seitan in a jar a few weeks back, haven't had it yet though and can't remember where we got it. Will ask BB.

robb
Jun 5th, 2009, 02:11 PM
Just seen a couple of different jars of seitan in Earth, Kentish Town.

BlackCats
Jun 5th, 2009, 04:58 PM
Thanks people.:) I might try Earth then as I go to Kentish Town fairly regularly. I've never noticed it in Fresh and Wild. I could look there too.

Buddha Belly
Jun 5th, 2009, 05:00 PM
We got Seitan in a jar a few weeks back, haven't had it yet though and can't remember where we got it. Will ask BB.

Arjuna in Cambridge. Really nice shop but bloody expensive.

harpy
Jun 5th, 2009, 06:56 PM
Thanks people.:) I might try Earth then as I go to Kentish Town fairly regularly. I've never noticed it in Fresh and Wild. I could look there too.

If they have it in F&W/Wholefoods it's usually near the chilled tempeh and tofu I think. Looks a bit repulsive, like Spam or something, you can't miss it :umm_ani:

Elahiya
Jun 5th, 2009, 09:59 PM
No one knows? Or is it that you can't buy seitan in this country?:confused:

try the stuff of "wheaty", which in the fridge sections at the health food shops. their stuff is made of seitan and their complete range is vegan.

BlackCats
Jun 5th, 2009, 10:05 PM
Thanks guys.:thumbsup:

Frank
Jun 8th, 2009, 12:14 AM
NEW GRASS ROOTS WHOLEFOODS vegetarian cafe in Peckham.

Only been open a week. Run by vegan John and his friends. It is at 194 Bellenden Road, London SE15 4BW (corner Danby Road).

Train: Peckham Rye BR, or there are loads of buses such as 36 along Peckham High Road (get a free SE London bus map at tube stations). Tel 020-7358 1999.

Open: Mon-Wed 9.00-20.00, Thu closed, Fri-Sat 9.00-21.00, Sun 11.00-17.00

75% organic. Bright, friendly, relaxing. If you like Pogo Cafe Sunday breakfasts, you'll love this place any day.

Rootsy big cooked breakfast £6.50 with home-made sausage, scrambled bean curd, beans, roasted veg, hot drink. The Buljol £5.60 with plantain, ackee, Dominican Bulgol salad and Mastiff bread. Gluten-free porridge £3.50 with quinoa and millet flakes and teff flour. Muesli £3.95.

Moving on to lunch, soup £4 with bread. Le Swazib £6.50 carib bites, rice salad, tomato and pepper sauce. Mezze £6.10. Sir -fry with buckwheat noodles £5.90. Jam Dom ackee and scrambled bean curd with rice £5.90.

Sandwiches can be bagel £2.95, baguette £3.50. Desserts make with unusual ingredients such as spelt, hemp or Ethiopean teff flour such as apple pie, cherry pie.

Cakes such as spelt flour choc coconut sweetened with date syrup £3.10 eat in, £2.80 take-away. Tea, coffee, hot choc £1.20-2.30. They make their own almond and sesame milk. No alcohol yet, BYO for now. Children welcome, baby changer, high chairs. They sell a few groceries.

bradders
Jun 8th, 2009, 12:28 AM
I'd just like to add that for people concerned about going through peckham they should go to east dulwich, one further stop out from central but a similar walk only much safer and without the gutters and pavements of blood from the many butchers in peckham.
but it does look pretty cool

mariana
Jun 9th, 2009, 08:08 PM
According to him the Brick Lane area is also really bad and he avoids eating there too.:eek:

That's good to know after living here for a year. :amazed_ani: Oh well, it probably helps me build up immunity to disease. :p

I had a nice lunch today at a Lebanese restaurant near Marble Arch. Can't remember what it was called, though. We had some tasty falafel, a salad, and a dish called batata something (can't seem to remember the full name) that had spiced potatoes and mixed vegetables. I also had some fresh lemonade--they have a lot of fresh fruit juices on offer, including pineapple and mango. I was quite sad they didn't have any tabbouleh, though. Afterwards we went to a Lebanese grocery store just down the road--if anyone likes olives that's the place to go...£4 a kilo (they sell them out of big bins and you take the amount you want). They were also selling some nuts and dried fruits in bulk...I wish I'd discovered that place earlier instead of right before I leave London, as I prefer to buy in bulk (that way I can get the amount I need, and it's usually cheaper).

mariana
Jun 9th, 2009, 08:18 PM
I also finally got a chance to try Scoop in Covent Garden a few weeks ago...it was delicious (in fact, Shrapnel and I went there a couple of days in a row we loved it so much). The extra dark chocolate gelato was absolutely amazing, and the fruit flavours were delicious as well (brought back memories of traveling in Italy, though those were in my prevegan days).

bradders
Jun 9th, 2009, 08:19 PM
well at least you know some places for WHEN you come back to london

mariana
Jun 10th, 2009, 12:20 AM
well at least you know some places for WHEN you come back to london
Thanks for thinking positively! :)

Marrers
Jun 10th, 2009, 10:37 AM
I also finally got a chance to try Scoop in Covent Garden . . . The extra dark chocolate gelato was absolutely amazing

That's my favourite too. :D

robb
Jun 10th, 2009, 10:38 AM
How do I not know about this place? I looked at their web site, but lots of mentions of milk and cream and no mention of vegan options...

Marrers
Jun 10th, 2009, 10:44 AM
If you do a search you'll find I've mentioned it quite a few times . . . :p

Serves you right for having me on ignore!

robb
Jun 10th, 2009, 11:02 AM
Did somebody say something?

:D

mariana
Jun 10th, 2009, 02:27 PM
How do I not know about this place? I looked at their web site, but lots of mentions of milk and cream and no mention of vegan options...
They do a lot of stuff for people with allergies and mark everything in the shop with stickers about what contains dairy, eggs, and gluten--so they happen to have 'accidentally vegan' options without dairy or eggs. :) You can also ask them what's egg- and dairy-free (the woman working when we went didn't know what vegan meant--though I don't think English was her first language).

mariana
Jun 10th, 2009, 02:27 PM
That's my favourite too. :D
I remember you wrote about that so I gave it a try...amazing! *drools*

Marrers
Jun 10th, 2009, 06:06 PM
The addition of stickers is good because as mariana says the staff sometimes struggle to understand. I've been told all the sorbets are vegan except those with crushed biscuits on top. The only vegan ice cream is the extra dark chocolate. (I first read about it in Time Out where they reviewed it when it first opened, saying there vegan options.)

BlackCats
Jun 11th, 2009, 05:40 PM
I'm taking my friend to a vegan/ vegetarian restaurant when she comes to visit me this month. When we were closer friends she was vegetarian like I was back then but she has gone back to eating meat but I think she likes vegetarian food though and I'm thinking where is the best place to take her? I was thinking Mildred's but it isn't open on Sundays. She likes Indian food so I might take her to Sagar (and just avoid the dhosas!:D) I thought of Rootmaster but it's not close to where she is staying. 222 is an option.

Is there somewhere you can get a vegan roast dinner in London?:question: