PDA

View Full Version : Vegan London, part 2

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22

mariana
Jan 19th, 2009, 05:37 PM
Has anyone been to Mr. Man? http://www.vegmrman.com/ It's a veggie Chinese place in Edgeware(mostly vegan, according to Vegetarian London guide). It used to be called Chai's but reviews say it's improved since it turned into Mr. Man. I'm wondering if it's any good--it got pretty good reviews on a few sites.

[FYI: Part one of Vegan Londos is here. (http://www.veganforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79) Korn]

Gorilla
Jan 20th, 2009, 02:28 PM
^ i hadn't heard of it before but the website sure makes the food look tasty :)

has anyone been to Govinda's recently? Zero and i had a look through the window on Sunday night but it was completely packed and seemed to be closed for a party or something. i've never tried it because i always went to Tai round the corner instead, but now that's gone and V&M's never open when i go there; i'd like to know what Govinda's is like!

Mr Flibble
Jan 20th, 2009, 02:37 PM
mush

All hare krishna food that I've had is best described that way.

I had a takeaway box from there whilst on a pub crawl once. It was warm mush (better than the free stuff at glastonbury), which was good.

With so much choice in the area I don't think I'd go again, I've had better.

SAGAR on Percy Street is a short walk away and very good.

Gorilla
Jan 20th, 2009, 02:54 PM
thanks for the recommendation - i always get lost in Soho but i'll try and remember where it is next time i'm in the area :satisfied:

cvC
Jan 20th, 2009, 05:24 PM
I went to the raw food counter at Selfridges for the second time this year on Saturday and where, for £5.95 - there was also a £3.95 option - the server filled a decent-sized plastic bowl with my selection from an array that included beetroot salad, carrot salad, chickpeas in tomato sauce, alfalfa sprouts, a letucey salad, houmous, tomato sauce, chilli sauce and mango sauce. An "Akashe ball" (or something like that) would also have been included, but I declined it as, unlike the rest of the food, it contained added (herbal) salt. The counter is run by a sister company of Rainforest Creations, whose website I've linked below and who operate raw food and juice stalls at various locations and on various days in London - they also don't add salt to most of their food and which I think is basically the same as that at Selfridges. I've also been abstaining from onions and did notice what I felt might have been an oniony feeling in my body later, but which I don't think will stop me from going back. I also had a slice of banana and mango cake for £2.50 and which I thought was really nice, if not exactly huge and nothing much more than the two fruits whizzed together. There were some slices of rather hard mango where the icing in the middle would have been and I think there was also some kind of nut in the mix. There was also a cacao-containing creation on offer. I wouldn't be surprised if I'm back there this week.

http://rainforestcreations.co.uk/

bryzee86
Jan 20th, 2009, 05:30 PM
I enjoy Govindas.

That is all.

Marrers
Jan 20th, 2009, 05:38 PM
Thanks for that info cvC, sounds interesting. I always love the roti things Rainforest Creations do at the Vegan Fairs.

bryzee86
Jan 20th, 2009, 06:17 PM
Govinda's is on soho street, inbetween soho square and oxford street. Not really soho though.

BlackCats
Jan 20th, 2009, 06:23 PM
Govinda's is on soho street, inbetween soho square and oxford street. Not really soho though.

I will find it one day!:)

Marrers
Jan 20th, 2009, 07:17 PM
(I'm in the "don't bother" camp for Govinda's. It's so close to Beatroot, Red Veg, the chinese buffet on Lexington Street and all the other much tastier alternatives.)

clare155
Jan 20th, 2009, 07:46 PM
^ i hadn't heard of it before but the website sure makes the food look tasty :)

The second picture down of Shredded Vegetarian Beef with Carrots & Chilli kinda looks like mealworms.......

But despite that I would like to try it - looks like another meet up idea :D

mariana
Jan 20th, 2009, 11:23 PM
The second picture down of Shredded Vegetarian Beef with Carrots & Chilli kinda looks like mealworms.......

But despite that I would like to try it - looks like another meet up idea :D
:eek: Now I've lost my desire to go there! :p Nah, I'd try it anyway! I think it would be a good meet up, except I think it's rather far out from Central London so a bit inconvenient to get to. :(

Gorilla
Jan 21st, 2009, 11:47 AM

haha :D i guess you're right!

I think it would be a good meet up, except I think it's rather far out from Central London so a bit inconvenient to get to. :(

it is quite a long way out, i probably wouldn't make a special trip on my own but i might well do if a meet-up was planned.

(I'm in the "don't bother" camp for Govinda's. It's so close to Beatroot, Red Veg, the chinese buffet on Lexington Street and all the other much tastier alternatives.)

i can never find Beatroot and i have enough trouble getting to Red Veg! i don't know what it is about those streets but they all look the same to me. :o i only know where Govinda's is because it's just off Oxford Street and i usually went past it on the way back to the tube station after eating at Tai in Greek Street :p

Elahiya
Jan 21st, 2009, 10:54 PM
when you know where vita organic is, beetroot isn´t far away... just go to the brewer´s street and turn right at an italian deli shop into one of these smallish streets. you´ll find a somerfield on your left hand and just go straight ahead suddenly it´ll appear. it took me also some time when i went there the first time. at first i felt lost in soho and never found anything, now i came across all of the vegan spots and have no prob to find them anymore...

Gorilla
Jan 22nd, 2009, 02:25 PM
Vita Organic is the only place in Soho i can easily find, which is ironic as i don't like the food there at all. :p

Marrers
Jan 22nd, 2009, 02:37 PM
Vita Organic is the only place in Soho i can easily find . . .
We all know why that is! :p

(The Intrepid Fox pub used to be opposite!)

Gorilla
Jan 22nd, 2009, 03:10 PM
i never went to the Intrepid Fox! :confused:

Mr Flibble
Jan 22nd, 2009, 03:13 PM
when you know where vita organic is, beetroot isn´t far away... just go to the brewer´s street and turn right at an italian deli shop into one of these smallish streets..

Or just turn left into Berwick Street when walking down Oxford Street away from centrepoint.

The smallish street you refer to is Walker's Crescent, which is adorned with trashy overpriced old men's sex shops and normally at least 2 prostitutes.

Gorilla
Jan 22nd, 2009, 03:15 PM
^ which is exactly why i'm not inclined to go wandering around Soho looking for cafes i can never find :rolleyes:

Mr Flibble
Jan 22nd, 2009, 03:31 PM
Beatroot is totally worth it thou.

Just make sure that if you want more than 2 sausage rolls that you ask for some first, then again half way through, then again at the end. They have (or at least used to) have a really stingy policy when it came to portion size of them and if you want a load all in one go they say no!

Troutina
Jan 22nd, 2009, 03:46 PM
Haha that's so weird!
They always offer them to me, and if there's no room they pop them on the plate!

Marrers
Jan 22nd, 2009, 05:13 PM
i never went to the Intrepid Fox! :confused:
Shame, you would have liked it!

robb
Jan 22nd, 2009, 09:13 PM
Shame, you would have liked it!
Legenday pub. :D

I see it has reopened at a new venue just round the corner from Tottenham Court Road tube. But it won't be the same...

Gorilla
Jan 26th, 2009, 02:40 PM
Beatroot is totally worth it thou.

i went to Beatroot once or twice and didn't find it to be anything special personally.

Mr Flibble
Jan 26th, 2009, 02:52 PM
You don't like that multiple meals mushed altogether into the same box thing?

The smallish street you refer to is Walker's Crescent, which is adorned with trashy overpriced old men's sex shops and normally at least 2 prostitutes.

They always offer them to me, and if there's no room they pop them on the plate!

Each to their own ;)