PDA

View Full Version : How do you pronounce 'seitan'?

cxmnz
Jan 19th, 2009, 06:50 PM
Like I said, how do you pronounce 'seitan', I don't want to appear a fool in public!

bryzee86
Jan 19th, 2009, 07:01 PM
I believe it's "say-tan".

Not "see-tun", or "say-tun".

Quantum Mechanic
Jan 19th, 2009, 07:34 PM
About appearing a fool, LOL, yes, I must've done that a half dozen times trying to talk about this recipe with agave nectar (I kept saying ah-gave).

cobweb
Jan 19th, 2009, 07:40 PM
say-tawn, i say!

burl
Jan 19th, 2009, 07:56 PM
for me it's more like say-taan. long a. or i guess say-tahn. rhymes with john.

Agatha
Jan 19th, 2009, 08:29 PM
i generally say satan. this is probably wrong. i think the stress is on the second syllable. but i like telling people i'm eating satan.

Guate_Vegan
Jan 19th, 2009, 09:12 PM
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/seitan

They have free pronunciations and you can actually click on "HEAR" and they will say it :)

bradders
Jan 19th, 2009, 09:59 PM
Have been merrily pronouncing this badly for the past year (seet'n), until I got thoroughly admonished for this a week ago. though pronouncing it properly amongst my catholic family would have been funny, instead of eating Jesus I'd be eating the body of the Antichrist

fiamma
Jan 19th, 2009, 10:55 PM
I say "sai-tan" (first bit rhymes with "tie"). Irrelevant really as I never eat the stuff :D

Penny
Jan 28th, 2009, 09:47 AM
Have been merrily pronouncing this badly for the past year (seet'n), until I got thoroughly admonished for this a week ago. though pronouncing it properly amongst my catholic family would have been funny, instead of eating Jesus I'd be eating the body of the Antichrist

LOL :D

My trusty dictionary says it should be pronounced si (long i, as in tie) tan with the emphasis on the first syllable. This is how I've always pronounced it anyway, but had to look it up a few months ago as I kept hearing it said differently and I'm a bit of a pedant about these things.

It's awkward though when, as happened at our last vegan potluck, you're discussing the stuff with someone who pronounces it differently and you both stick doggedly to your own pronunciation! :p

DiaShel
Jan 28th, 2009, 04:25 PM
On a related subject, can someone tell me how to pronounce Tempeh? I feel silly ordering when I'm not sure.

I've also had trouble with Edamame and quinoa in the past but I think I got them done!

BTW- I've never had seitan

Poison Ivy
Jan 28th, 2009, 05:49 PM
I believe it's "say-tan".

That's the one I go with!

As for tempeh, I say 'tem-pay':)

DiaShel
Jan 28th, 2009, 06:03 PM
Oh good, that's how I've been saying it. I was at a restaurant and we both orders something with it, and I said tem-pay and he said tem-puh.

Kitteh
Jan 29th, 2009, 12:26 AM
On a related subject, can someone tell me how to pronounce Tempeh? I feel silly ordering when I'm not sure.

I've also had trouble with Edamame and quinoa in the past but I think I got them done!

BTW- I've never had seitan

I say:

SAY-TAN
TEM-PAY
KEEN-WAH

I too have never had seitan because it's made of gluten and I heard a dude ask for QUIN-OH-AH the other day and my bf likes to say it that way cause it makes me laugh.

squigaletta
Jan 29th, 2009, 07:03 PM
LOL :D

My trusty dictionary says it should be pronounced si (long i, as in tie) tan with the emphasis on the first syllable. This is how I've always pronounced it anyway, but had to look it up a few months ago as I kept hearing it said differently and I'm a bit of a pedant about these things.

It's awkward though when, as happened at our last vegan potluck, you're discussing the stuff with someone who pronounces it differently and you both stick doggedly to your own pronunciation! :p

I never know what the etiquette is in these situations. Do you swap to their was of pronouncing it and risk looking awkward, weird, patronising, or do you stick with yours and end up looking arrogant?!!!?? swedish glace, or swedish gla-say?
i say tem- peh, more like tem puh than tempay, i have no idea though :). keeenwa is a good one though :)
how do you say edamame?

Mahk
Jan 29th, 2009, 07:17 PM
ed (rhymes with "said") ah mah may. Accent on the mah (http://www.answers.com/topic/edamame)

Say tan (http://www.answers.com/seitan)

tem pay (http://www.answers.com/tempeh)

keen wa or ki (rhymes with kit) no ah (http://www.answers.com/quinoa)

Press the speaker icon to hear each at the links. A problem with all these words is they didn't start from English. In France it is not "Paris" it is "Parrrrrr ee" (that was a rolling "r" ;))
----
Q. How do you pronounce "ghoti"?

A. It is pronounced "fish": "gh" as in "enough", "o" as in "women", and "ti" as in "pollution".

Penny
Feb 1st, 2009, 05:25 PM
I never know what the etiquette is in these situations. Do you swap to their was of pronouncing it and risk looking awkward, weird, patronising, or do you stick with yours and end up looking arrogant?!!!?? swedish glace, or swedish gla-say?
i say tem- peh, more like tem puh than tempay, i have no idea though :). keeenwa is a good one ow do you say edamame?

I suppose the best way is to say somethig along the lines of, 'Ah, I notice you pronounce it *****. I say &&&&&&&, but I've never been sure if that's right...'

This gives them the chance to say, 'Me neither!' or 'Oh, I found out how to pronounce it on the Vegan Forum!' !!!

Of course, that's not so good if you're convinced that you're right and they're wrong.....

cxmnz
Feb 2nd, 2009, 05:22 PM
I'm glad to hear I'm not the only once who's thoroughly confused by this, at least I will feel less foolish when I inevitably pronounce it differently from everyone else. I'm going to have a mental game of roulette next time I need to say it and pronounce it at random from the suggestions.

I might even say it differently each time to keep myself entertained. It's the simple things.