PDA

View Full Version : Vegan Edinburgh

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

WeeLee
Feb 7th, 2009, 12:46 AM
Hey guys Im a new member here! Stay in Edinburgh, alright place for vegans but doesnt compare to other cities.

I like Hendersons -upstairs in nice for a family/romantic meal and downstairs is perfect if you skint/cant be bothered getting dressed up!

David Banns has fantastic food thats a little expensive. I sometimes feel a bit out of place there though, it can be pretencious at times, but the service is fab!

The Baked Potato shop is crazy good, we go there at least once a week for a serving of food big enough to feed 10 people!

The Engine Shed is a fab place, specially in the summer... sitting at the wee windows reading a book and eating the chocolate cake! If anyone goes that hasnt been before, pick up some tofu coz its great! its a non profit organisation too so all good!

Never been to the forest cafe yet tho, whats that like??
Someone mentioned PIEMAKER!!!! Manage to stagger there drunk on my way home some weekends. Pretty good, but I swear thats why I'm gaining weight!!

Not been to the forest cafe yet, what that place like for some grub? mmmm... getting hungry here! :D

Golebnik
Feb 13th, 2009, 01:38 PM
I see that both Kalpna and Ann Purna are now offering lunchtime buffets. The Ann Purna one is £6.95, and I think the Kalpna one is not much more expensive. I haven’t had the chance to try either of them yet. Has anyone here tried one or other of them? Any opinions/reviews? Maybe we should arrange a Vegan Forum Edinburgh trip!

SnowyWhite
Feb 14th, 2009, 12:06 PM
Oooh I would love that!!! I'd love to go and experience vegan Edinburgh! All my friends in Edinburgh arent vegan, so whenever I go across there I dont get a chance to go to all these lovely places!

Golebnik
Feb 14th, 2009, 03:58 PM
Let’s see whether any other Edinburgh (or other Central Belt-ish) people reply. Otherwise it’ll just be SnowyWhite, me and Mrs Golebnik (if she’s free), and I know of one other I could probably invite.

I’d love to try the buffet at Ann Purna; I haven’t been there since the change of management really took hold, so I do hope it hasn’t gone downhill.

SnowyWhite
Feb 14th, 2009, 05:33 PM
There's a good bunch of us here that would probably love to go through too. We can see what happens!

Fungus
Feb 14th, 2009, 11:29 PM
I might be interested .. :)

DarmokTheGreen
Feb 15th, 2009, 01:20 AM
As a Central Belt-ish person, I think I might like to come along too... I also know a few other Edinburgh vegans who I don't think are on this forum...

WeeLee
Feb 20th, 2009, 02:06 PM
oh, id go 2 that, if im not too skint! Im from edinburgh and apart from my boyfriend I dont really know any other vegans here!

Someone mentioned vegan breakfasts? Im having a problem finding good breakfasts in Ed, the Engine Shed do vegan scones which are pretty good. Thought Hendersons would have something good but i went in and asked n they only had toast, porridge or fruit suitable for vegans! :( good home made jam though.

Lee :D

Golebnik
Feb 20th, 2009, 08:30 PM
Shall we all try to arrange a date, maybe in late March or early April, to go to Ann Purna for a buffet lunch? How about Saturday, 28 March, say? We can organise the exact details nearer the time. There is a ‘Vegans of Edinburgh’ group on Facebook, so maybe everyone should join that, and we could arrange the lunch on there. It might be too chaotic to try and arrange it via this forum.

Opinions, folks?

Fungus
Feb 25th, 2009, 08:17 PM
I'd rather not have to make a facebook account ...

Golebnik
Feb 25th, 2009, 09:41 PM
I'd rather not have to make a facebook account ...
Fair enough, but judging by the fact that there hasn’t exactly been a flood of messages here since I suggested a date five days ago, somehow I get the idea that this lunch thing isn’t going to happen!

DarmokTheGreen
Feb 25th, 2009, 11:01 PM
OK, if other people are going, I think Saturday 28th March is OK for me...

Golebnik
Feb 28th, 2009, 02:47 PM
I’ve now booked myself up for something else on 28 March. There hasn’t been much of a response to my original suggestion, anyhow.

Despite the reservations of some, I think it may be better to try to arrange something via the ‘Vegans of Edinburgh’ group on Facebook. I don’t much care for Facebook myself, but when it comes to trying to organise an event among disparate people, it has its uses.

If anyone has any better suggestions, please post them here!

harpy
Apr 30th, 2009, 06:29 PM
I've just been in Edinburgh for a few days and would endorse the earlier recommendation of the Greenhouse B&B for anyone that's visiting. The veggie couple that run it are really nice and the rooms (in a Victorian or Edwardian house with period-type furniture) are comfortable and well-equipped. It may not be the cheapest place to stay in Edinburgh but you could probably eat one of their vegan cooked breakfasts and manage without eating for the rest of the day :D

Unfortunately for our waistlines we didn't follow that advice! We had fun meals in Henderson's bistro and salad table and in Kalpna. I also enjoyed lunch in Bann's although the place seemed a bit kind of formal compared with how I remember it (think it's moved premises since the last time I was there so maybe they changed the formula at the same time?).

kit
May 26th, 2009, 11:25 PM
I don't think I ever knew the Engine Shed was a veggie place. My mum's taken me there a few times. Now I've checked the site I think I'm gonna go there with my friend this Saturday and try out the vegan dish of the day! :)

MeTheVegan
Aug 24th, 2009, 07:59 PM
Visited Hendersons Restaurant today at breakfast time and was very disappointed when I was told the only vegan breakfast option was 'just fruit'
After I kinda hummed and hawwed for a sec as I was hoping for something more substantial, I was told the rolls were vegan, but even then I had to ask if there was anything to put on them (soya marg was the only option)
I didn't even know you could get a non dairy milk for coffee or tea until I went into the shop afterwards.

I've been to Hendersons Bistro a couple of times before and quite enjoyed the vegan choices, but that seems really poor for breakfast time.
Plus I'm a little annoyed I wasn't even told they do soya milk etc as there were no menus on the tables or on the wall.

I just wondered if anyone else knew of different options I wasn't told about or if there's somewhere better to go for breakfast in town?

gogs67
Aug 24th, 2009, 08:25 PM
I've never really thought about 'eating out' at breakfast time, lol, i couldnae really tell you if there is anywhere decent at that time of the day!!!:D
Is it a cooked breakfast you are looking for?

MeTheVegan
Aug 24th, 2009, 08:40 PM
Well I don't usually eat out at that time I must admit, but I was in town very early for an appointment and had missed breakfast! I just wondered in case there was ever another time.
I wasn't even looking for anything fancy (or even a full cooked although I wouldn't say no) I assumed I would maybe get a veggie roll on sausage or maybe cereal with soya milk or even a slice of toast.
Fruit or a plain roll are a bit uninspired :rolleyes:

Jennie
Aug 24th, 2009, 08:54 PM
I was just in Edinburgh for the festival and loved the city. One place that was nice to hang out in was the Forest cafe on Bristo Place. Not sure if they specifically do breakfast but a website I saw says they open at 10am and on Sunday do a vegan brunch 12-2pm. I only went for a snack in the afternoon so I couldn't say for sure.
Have you ever tried David Bann restaurant for a fancy meal? It was so yummy, especially the pudding!

MyVeganLunch
Aug 27th, 2009, 06:41 PM
I was just in Edinburgh for the festival and loved the city. One place that was nice to hang out in was the Forest cafe on Bristo Place. Not sure if they specifically do breakfast but a website I saw says they open at 10am and on Sunday do a vegan brunch 12-2pm. I only went for a snack in the afternoon so I couldn't say for sure.
Have you ever tried David Bann restaurant for a fancy meal? It was so yummy, especially the pudding!

We hit David Bann again this year whilst at the festival and I must say the vegan options for main course were better than two years ago, so they're improving.

They only seemed to have one vegan dessert which was rasperry jelly, so we went to the potato shop and had a piece of their wonderful cake!

Oh yes, in answer to the original post there's a pie shop on South Bridge (near C venue 43 - Adam Building in Chambers Street) which does a number of vegan pies. They have a couple of pasty type affairs and a sausage roll if I remember rightly, and do some lush apple (and blackberry or cherry) pies which are also vegan (everything with two asterisks on the menu!). Can;t remember the name, but it's almost or is next door to Forbidden Planet.

Of course, you can always go into BHS and have a five item breakfast - hash browns, potato scone, beans, tomato, fried bread and toast... if that's what you fancy!

MVL

Jennie
Aug 27th, 2009, 07:18 PM
I had the raspberry jelly! When I initially saw it I was a bit dubious, sounded very boring, but it was the best bit of the meal for me! It was a light jelly with fresh raspberries in sitting on a lemon cake with syrup and topped with some lovely frozen coconut creamy stuff. Altogether it was heaven!
The potato shop was good too.

MyVeganLunch
Aug 27th, 2009, 07:29 PM
Oh yes, and the Forest Cafe was very cool.. loved it in there, although the toilets left a lot to de desired. Yuk!

We also ate in WannaBurger one day - they do a grilled Mushroom burger - just a mushroom in a roll, with all the accompaniments of course - it was very nice too.

Looked and Black Bo but didn't go in - didn't have time!

Went to the Mai Thai, down one of the little lanes off the High Street - Thai food is always good as they simply don't do dairy, just need to avoid certain noodles. One of the dishes came with what looked like a swirl of cream in the sauce, but we discovered it was coconut milk, so all was well.

Oh yes, also went to Kalpna and had a vegan thali - although the guy waiting seemed to think he was the prince of somewhere or other - didn't smile. The missus takes that as a personal attack and deliberately looks at people and smiles at them when they're like that and eventually she gets a response!

Where else did you find to eat vegan in Edinburgh.. always after new places!

We were up for the first week... saw some cracking stuff. 28 shows over the six days. Phew!
Best show we saw was Morecambe, but of the 28 only two were particularly poor.

falafel-addict
Aug 28th, 2009, 07:15 PM
that's really surprising- I went to edinburgh at the end of july and had a vegan porridge from hendersons. ate it in the park- super yum! oh and hello vegan forum :)

falafel-addict
Aug 28th, 2009, 07:15 PM
oh wait i went to the bistro- is that a different place?

harpy
Aug 29th, 2009, 11:44 AM
Hello, fellow falafel-addict :) - yes, Henderson's do have a separate bistro that's round the corner from the main restaurant, accessed from a side street if I remember correctly?