PDA

View Full Version : Vegan Edinburgh

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

Quorlia
Sep 13th, 2004, 01:16 PM
Hi!

I am getting married in Edinburgh and was wondering if anyone knows of beauty salons, hairdressers etc that use vegan products?

Also, if anyone knows of a good place to host the reception I would be very glad to hear of it!

Thanks

Kirsty

gertvegan
Sep 13th, 2004, 01:33 PM
Congrats Kirsty. Apart from The Cruelty Free Guide to Edinburgh (http://www.crueltyfree.org.uk/edinburgh/) which you probably already know about, I don't know, sorry. All the best. :)

PinkLogik
Jun 20th, 2005, 12:17 PM
Cruelty-Free Scotland Fayre

Saturday 16th July 2005, 10.30 – 16.30

In the hall at the back of the Church of St. John the Evangelist, Princes Street, Edinburgh, EH2 4BJ. See here (http://www.multimap.com/map/browse.cgi?lat=55.95&lon=-3.206&scale=10000&icon=x)

The launch event for the newly-formed Scottish Animal Rights Coalition, the 1st Annual 'Cruelty-Free Scotland' aims to encourage the public to consider how their lifestyle impacts upon animals and the planet, from what they eat and wear to the products they purchase, the charities they support and their hobbies and interests.

Doors open to the public at 10:30am. Vegan refreshments available on the day and lots of information stalls on issues such as animals in sport and entertainment, factory farming, the fur trade, hunting, veganism and vivisection as well as Scottish companion animal and wildlife rescue centres and Scottish grassroots campaign groups.

Ph: 0131-225 6039 / 07984 006 884

Scottish Animal Rights Coalition (http://www.advocatesforanimals.org/coalition/)

Evilfluffbunny
Jun 22nd, 2005, 09:16 PM
Thanks for the info - sounds interesting. :)

littleTigercub
Jun 24th, 2005, 05:44 PM
Yes, I will go to - I will be just back from holiday then, so this will work out fab!

littleTigercub

gertvegan
Sep 18th, 2005, 10:04 AM
1st Annual CRUELTY FREE SCOTLAND Event a Great Success!

The first annual Cruelty Free Scotland (CFS) day took place at St John’s Church in Edinburgh on Saturday 16 July 2005. The event marked the official launch of the Scottish Animal Rights Coalition (SARC) (www.advocatesforanimals.org) and attracted hundreds of visitors. Feedback from both coalition members and the public was positive and encouraging, and paves the way for another similar event in 2006.

CFS received excellent coverage in the Big Issue in Scotland, which chose to concentrate on the anti-vivisection theme due to the presence on the day of Dr Jarrod Bailey, Science Director for Europeans for Medical Progress, who held an information stall at the event. Other stall-holders were the Captive Animals’ Protection Society, the Coalition to Abolish the Fur Trade, Greyhound Action Scotland, Vegetarians’ International Voice for Animals, the Vegetarian and Vegan Foundation, Waterside Action Group and of course Advocates, which sponsored the event. Grassroots campaign groups, wildlife and companion animal rescue organisations were also represented.

Several companies donated samples and testers for the vegan food tasting stall and the cruelty-free toiletry stall, and Henderson’s of Edinburgh provided catering throughout the day, which went down extremely well!

CFS’s free prize draw questionnaires produced very positive responses from all visitors, with more than two thirds of visitors saying they had learned something by attending and almost half saying they would change their lifestyle in some way to reflect what they had learned from attending the event. Some of the feedback included:

“I changed my point of view.”

“Excellent event – look forward to next one!”

“Great event – promoting a positive image is essential.”

“This is one of the best exhibitions I have ever been to. I only intended to stay 5 mins and I have been here over an hour and a half. I am now aware of so much more relating to unnecessary animal cruelty.”

Congratulations to the five prize winners, lucky recipients of two free meals at Henderson’s, two cruelty-free toiletry hampers and Jane Goodall books.

SARC wishes to thank everyone who helped out before, during and after the event, and is grateful to the undernoted companies for their kind donations:

Click HERE for details of the next Scottish ARC meeting.

Information stalls:

Advocates for Animals – www.advocatesforanimals.org

Coalition to Abolish the Fur Trade – www.caft.org.uk

Captive Animals’ Protection Society – www.captiveanimals.org

Europeans for Medical Progress – www.curedisease.net

Greyhound Action Scotland – www.greyhoundactionscotland.org.uk

Killhunting UK – www.killhunting.org.uk

Vegetarians’ International Voice for Animals – www.viva.org.uk

Vegetarian & Vegan Foundation – www.vegetarian.org.uk

Waterside Action Group – www.wag-ayrshire.org.uk

Catering:

Henderson’s - www.hendersonsofedinburgh.co.uk

Food donations:

Booja Booja – www.boojabooja.com

Tofutti – website currently unavailable – www.tofutti.co.uk

Redwood Foods – www.redwoodfoods.co.uk

Cosmetics & Toiletry donations:

Honesty – www.honestycosmetics.co.uk

Daniel Field - www.danielfield.com

Astonish – www.astonishcleaners.co.uk

Yaoh - www.yaoh.co.uk

The Co-op – www.co-op.co.uk

abrennan
Sep 18th, 2005, 10:14 AM
Yay!!!:D

Can't wait for ours ours in Australia next month

woopeee

gertvegan
Oct 14th, 2005, 01:07 PM
The fair is still scheduled for November 26th.

Freemason's hall,
George St,
Edinburgh.

10.30-3 though more info to follow and confirm.

gertvegan
Nov 13th, 2005, 02:23 PM
Cruelty Free Christmas Fare
(FreeMason Hall, 96 George Street, EDINBURGH)
Sat 26th November, 11am to 4pm
Entry - £1 for adults, under 16's free

Stalls with cruelty free info & gifts (Animal-free, Organic, Fair Trade), Cookery demonstations, Talks, Veggie Cafe (Hendersons), Complementary Therapies

BUAV, Animal Aid, Viva!, Hendersons.

Anyone know anymore??

gogs67
Feb 18th, 2006, 02:51 PM
Holyrood Tavern is now doing vegan brakfasts on a Sunday from 1-5 and vegan burgers,spring rolls,chips etc on a Fri and Sat night from 6-10!
Come along if you're in the area!
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=42557375&MyToken=A3840F3B-B1C8-7E4F-F85F12BA1D285FA28078824

gogs67
Feb 22nd, 2006, 02:15 AM
The Holyrood Tavern is now doing vegan snacks (Burgers,spring rolls,chips etc) on a Fri and Sat evening till about 10 and on a Sun afternoon between 1 and 5 you can get a great vegan breakfast,traditional or continental!The sundays usually a good one,mabye 30 or so diff people there over the course,most vegan!:D
I think the weekend of the 12th we're gonna try and do more because there's a weekend music show on in the subway(just along the road) Sat and Sun so there should be a lot more folk about,bands from Germany,USA,England etc playing!Should turn out a good weekend!:D

Oh!
http://www.myspace.com/vegan_kitchen

TheBluePenguin
Mar 8th, 2006, 11:19 PM
I believe Aveda salon/hair products are vegan. Best bet is to find a hairdresser that uses Aveda products I guess.

gogs67
Mar 13th, 2006, 07:55 PM
Yesterday afternoon was a great success,we sold about 45 vegan breakfasts and numerous helpings of vegan cheesecake and hot chocolate!
£115 pounds was raised for Allandale Animal Sanctuary!:)

gertvegan
Mar 18th, 2006, 10:17 AM
If anyone is visiting Edinburgh, I recommend staying at The Greenhouse. (http://www.greenhouse-edinburgh.com/greenhouse_about_us.html) Just look at the breakfast choice. :)

gogs67
Mar 20th, 2006, 11:31 AM
Another good afternoon yesterday at the Holyrood pub,we actually ran out of food which is a good sign i suppose!
thanks to Tim Holehouse for his accoustic set and Project Serendipity
Pauly, formerly of Shindig and now of Black Tax,erm,fame for doing his electronic project,ambient sounds:D

gogs67
Apr 6th, 2006, 07:41 PM
The Holyrood will be closed this weekend due to structural work!:(

fiamma
Apr 21st, 2006, 06:50 AM
I am going to Edinburgh in June for my brother's wedding and wondered if anyone could recommend any vegan restaurants there, or one where they serve good tasty vegan fare. I was born and grew up there, so I know the city and should know what you're talking about if you recommend a place! I know, for example, that there's a vegetarian/vegan Indian place on Clerk Street called the Kalpna, plus a superb veggie place called Henderson's down Hanover Street way. Any personal recommendations and any info at all would be very welcome. Cheers all!

gogs67
May 29th, 2006, 06:33 PM
Accross the road from thr Kalpna is a far,far better Indian called Ann Purna,they're South Indian and the food is delicious.The kalpna have also served my dishes with milk in them when it was meant to be vegan!:confused:
Suzies diner over from 'The Pear Tree' pub is great for eating in comfy surroundins anytime of the day and just round the corner from that is a Sudanese place called Nile Valley that does some of the tastiest vegan options imaginable.Their Fuul masala is Mmmmmm!Down the raod from that on Causwayside there is a Jamacian place opened up last year and they cater well for vegans.In Tollcross there are 2 new African places opened up,both of whom do nice vegan options.Down on St Mary street is David Banns which is a pretty famous Vegetarian restaurant with vegan options but i find it expensive and he down plays the vegan side in my opinion.Round the corner from that is the Holyrood pub which does vegan burgers,chips,spring rolls etc on a Fri and Sat night and all day vegan breakfasts on a Sunday between 1 and 5.Full breakfast,scrambled tofu on toast or a continental breakfast and it's always a nice atmosphere........most folk that come in are vegan and just wanting to chill out for a few hours on a Sunday and eat some nice food!(i help with the cooking by the way,that was my plug for the place!:D )
There are other places,numerous Falafal shops opened up which is a good thing but i'm talking mainly on the Southside.Gives a shout if you got any questions about any of the places i've mentioned!Enjoy...........:)

fiamma
Jun 12th, 2006, 02:17 PM
When I went to the Indian Cavalry Club I got a hot chocolate when I asked for an espresso coffee. And they swore blind it was an espresso when questioned! Bit of confusion there I think. :D
What's the best place for a soya latte d'you reckon gogs, now that Starbucks is off my list?
Thanks for all the suggestions BTW, I really appreciate them.

fiamma
Jul 11th, 2006, 08:48 AM
Went to Susie's Diner in Edinburgh - sooooooooo good! Had the combination plate with felafel, hummus, tahini and various salads. Omni bf liked it too (he's great, he'll try anything!!!). Kind of worn, warm and comfy surroundings, great for relaxing in. God I miss Edinburgh :( Italy sucks (except at football, I guess ;) )

Kevster
Sep 25th, 2006, 07:01 PM
Just heard about The Forest cafe in Edinburgh selling vegan and vegetarian food, sounds interesting.....

http://www.theforest.org.uk/

gogs67
Jul 11th, 2007, 08:28 PM
I know this should maybe be in the UK/Edinburgh section but i just thought id show this nice reply from a Salsa bar in the town that had got in touch with me on another forum because i stayed in Edinburgh and wondered if i wanted to come along.I replied that if they had any vegan food i would consider and left it at that.I instantly got this reply!

"I'm the new owner and hadn't actually considered vegan options - although I had vegetarians catered for.

So I have been in touch with the Vegan Society and have checked our menu against the criteria - it seems we need to add some vegan foods pretty quick.

A of the things I'd have thought would be safe, probably aren't - for example, eggs used in bread production.

Anyway - here's a brief list
Vegan food

We believe these foods to be suitable for vegans. However, it may be that in the production process (the supplier, not our kitchen!) the food may have been exposed to animal products or derivatives - we have no way of 100% verifying a complete lack of animal contact at supplier level.

For your teas and coffee - Soya milk is available.

Paella - vegetable paella
Patatas Bravas - Fried potatoes served with homemade spicy tomato sauce
Pan Con Tomate - Toasted bread with garlic, oil and fresh tomato
Olivas
Champiñones - Mushrooms cooked in garlic oil, parsley and butter
Escalivada - Grilled tomatoes, aubergines, onions and piquillo peppers, served with extra virgin olive oil
Garbanzos - Chickpeas marinated in garlic and lemon juice
Ensalada de Judias - Marinated bean salad with peppers and red onion

Can you recommend anywhere that has a good vegan menu in Edinburgh? I'd be interested to see what they're serving.

J :) "

If the guys as keen as that then i deff will go along and it just goes to show the value of asking places to consider their menu!http://84.234.17.160/images/smilies/thumbupyellow.gif

xaaronx
Jul 11th, 2007, 09:34 PM
It's always awesome when you get a reply like that from a business, which is detailed and they seem very enthusiastic about selling vegan options too!

gogs67
Jul 12th, 2007, 09:39 AM
Here's the address of that Salsa bar!
Sala Café Bar -60 Broughton Street, Edinburgh!http://www.celticminded.com/images/smilies/thumbupyellow.gif

horselesspaul
Jul 12th, 2007, 12:50 PM
Most excellent. What a good response. I shall make sure I eat there next time I visit my sister. Nice one gogs67!