PDA

View Full Version : When, where did you first hear the word vegan ?

Pages : 1 [2]

toma_Paella!!!
Nov 29th, 2005, 03:11 AM
the first time I heard the word vegan... hhmmm... :confused:
It should have been about two years ago, I was already a vegetarian but I had never heard about vegans before. There ain't much information about the topic here...
At first I rejected the idea, "why that" I thought, but after a while I met some vegans in the Running of the bulls who gently explained it to me, and it made sense to be so I decided to take a chance :rolleyes:

;) Paz y luz

moochbabe
Nov 29th, 2005, 03:22 AM
;) Paz y luz
what a nice way to end ur post!

toma_Paella!!!
Nov 29th, 2005, 08:13 PM
I love you guys... :D

Joanne_232
Nov 29th, 2005, 09:04 PM
After I had already become a vegetarian I read it in a book that described macrobiotics, raw food, fruitarians, etc

Lilac Hamster
Jan 12th, 2006, 03:41 PM
Michael Benis, hi some of the longtime vegans in London Vegans might know about the people you knew in the 70's. Peter Despard and Rose King are people that spring to mind and who would probably remember that long back, so they might know what happened to those other people. I used to go to London Vegans a lot in the late 80's to early 90's and I am sure there were people who knew the Vegan Cafe several years before. I don't go back quite that far myself, only went vegan in 1984, and was not in the London area until late 87. Glad to see I'm not the only oldie on here, I wonder if anyone has compiled a comprehensive history of the vegan movement yet? That would be interesting.

Lesley

Michael Benis
Jan 12th, 2006, 06:40 PM
Hi Lesley,

thanks for the suggestion. Do LV have a website?

I agree a history woulod be a very good idea, especially while we still have access to the friends of the first-generation vegans who have recently died.

Cheers

Mike

PS: Just re-read that. It sounds awful! Hopefully you know what I meant.... :-)

PPS: I just found the website! The Net makes it so much easier to find people, doesn't it? I'm sounding older and more senile by the minute.....

sugarmouse
Jan 12th, 2006, 06:43 PM
i think i first heard it hwen i was working with folk selling 'The Big Issue'
in leeds.:)

Yoggy
Jan 12th, 2006, 08:53 PM
I heard about it in my first year of university when I joined the juggling club. The president and her friends were vegan, and I went over to her house to help bake cookies and squares for the bake sale. They showed me how to bake with soymilk and egg replacer, but I brushed off their help and made chocolate chip cookies with milk chocolate chips, milk and eggs and refused to try their creations. My how I've changed ;)

Daniel
Jan 12th, 2006, 09:01 PM
I first heard the word "vegan" in 1991 when I was walking with a couple vegetarian friends to the supermarket and one of the friends claimed to be vegan. I asked what "vegan" meant and the friend said that it was not eating eggs or dairy. Once we got to the supermarket the friend ordered an egg roll from the Chinese take-out. Since I knew egg rolls not only had eggs, but also had ham I quickly dismissed this "vegan" thing as bunch of hooey. As a vegetarian I considered ham and eggs meat, and I couldn't understand why this "vegan" claimed to be a vegetarian. (I was also shocked months earlier when my other friend was eating eggs. I never understood why some "vegetarians" didn't consider eggs meat.) My "vegan" friend insisted that egg rolls didn't have eggs or ham in them. If my friend wasn't a Doc Martin wearing, egg roll eating psudovegan I would have converted that night rather than taking more than a year to figure out what veganism really was. When I did go vegan the egg roll eater had completely stopped being a vegetarian and knowingly tricked me into eating something containing anchovies. The other friend was still vegetarian, but said veganism was too extreme. A few years later the vegetarian friend did become a vegan.

indianvegan
Mar 11th, 2006, 05:20 PM
First time I heard Vegan word on Yahoo Chat, when there was one Vegan/Vegetarian user room. There I met one Canadain Vegan boy of 20 years old Vegan boy.

Manish Jain

piggy
Mar 11th, 2006, 06:24 PM
i've known the word ever since i can remember, i'm sure i must have learnt it from my mom. she's very open to the veg*n way of life, even though she is omni. I remember her talking to me about vegetarianism when i was 5 or 6 or even earlier

Bodybuilder
Mar 11th, 2006, 06:40 PM
I was in high school when my older sister introduced me to veganism. I may have heard the word in middle school, in fact I probably did, but didn't know much about it, other than it was a strage lifestyle my sister had. I've been vegan ever since....10 years now :)

Tiggerwoo
Mar 11th, 2006, 09:02 PM
I think I've always known what a vegan was, right from when I was a kid, wish I had been a vegan as a kid though too!

Romac
Mar 13th, 2006, 07:12 PM
about 18 years ago from a hippy chick in toronto that i thought was a dipshit. She had 3 kids from 3 different guys, but none of them were around, her head was a mess, her life was a mess, and she was a vegan. i'd look at her and think "whatever she is, i want to be the opposite"

very bad first impression of the word vegan to say the least.

Pilaf
Mar 13th, 2006, 07:48 PM
I heard Moby was a vegan. Well, in fact, the entire sleeve of his 1999 platinum album Play was pretty much a treatise on veganism.

veganbikerboy
Mar 13th, 2006, 08:14 PM
when at college, a girl i knew of had passed out and they had to call an ambulance. It turned out that it was a food deficency, she had turned vegan but had not researched it and had lived for over three months on beans on toast!! i always thought she was a weirdo:) unfortunatley she went back to meat.

for many years i thought that all vegans are weirdo's, and i am still trying to collect evidence to prove the contary but it's hard work:D

About 4 years later i met another girl that was vegan, and had an answer for everything! including vegan food, other than beans on toast

speedylemons
Mar 13th, 2006, 08:46 PM
I have been trying to think of my answer for this for a while now. I couldn't figure it out! but now i think i've got it:

When my mom was going through the divorce she thought it necessary for my sisters and i to get those "big brother big sisters" people.. and i got a girl named Misty. i think she was in her early twenties at the time, and i was probably 14 or so. I remember thinking that she was just the coolest, she was always cooking weird new foods with me and we'd do all sorts of fun stuff like go camping, or biking etc. really wholesome active stuff. I remember then one time the conversation came up about how she doesn't eat meat and [at the time i hadn't even gone vegetarian yet] she just kind of said that she was a "vegan" and didn't eat anything from an animal. After that though, we didn't really talk about it much, it was just somethign i looked forward to when i'd hang out with her. I think probably about a year after knowing her i went vegetarian, and it was nice having her to talk to about how my mom was really angry and wouldn't allow it etc. She was pretty impressed by the vegetarian conversion too, and it was nice to have at least one person who agreed.

Eventually we went our separate ways after we both were like 4 years older, and i really haven't heard from her since. I've tried to get a hold of her before in attempts to possibly meet up for some vegan cuisine or something [cooking with her was so fun], but i haven't had much luck yet. I'd love to tell her that i've gone vegan too. I look back and realize that she was probably a big influence on me, whether it seemed obvious at the time or not.. maybe crazy subliminal stuff.

Maybe some day i'll run into her again, that'd be really neat.

So there's my cute little story. lol. :D

DoveInGreyClothing
Mar 13th, 2006, 11:29 PM
At school in a textbook in English class, teaching us about animal rights issues. I must have been about 11. I went vegetarian shortly after, my mum freaked enough at that! Now I do my own cooking it's all good!

Yst
Mar 24th, 2006, 10:04 AM
Quite possibly first in association with the Canadian punk band Propagandhi. But on a larger scale, merely in association with punk culture in general, wherein there were a number of vegan bands which had a chance to be relevant to me in the '90s.

Cherry
Mar 24th, 2006, 11:50 AM
When I was about 11. I went to a big 50th birthday party, and was sitting opposite a young woman (she was probably about 20 but was older than my sisters and seemed quite grown up) who said she was vegan and was broadcasting it to everyone. She then tucked into the mayonnaise! I remember thinking that veganism must be the sort of thing you did for show, and also remember thinking how awful it must be not having cake! (I didn't know about vegan cake :rolleyes: )

I remember saying to people when I was about 18 or 19 'I'm vegetarian but I'm never going to be vegan, that would be far too extreme!" - how embarrassing. :o

JustPeachy
Apr 25th, 2006, 02:47 AM
Through Daniel John's mouth years ago.

I used to be so crazy about him.

He did influence me alot but I went indie too many years ago to even care.