PDA

View Full Version : When, where did you first hear the word vegan ?

Pages : [1] 2

gertvegan
Dec 19th, 2004, 04:39 PM
When, where ...... did you first hear the word vegan ?

I can't really remember, I guess it was in the uk veggie mag or summut only 4 - 5 years ago. :)

MzNatural
Dec 19th, 2004, 04:48 PM
About the same time I learned about Macrobiotic. That was about 10 or 11 years ago.

PinkFluffyCloud
Dec 19th, 2004, 05:32 PM
Someone I met an AR demo told me they were Vegan. I was already a Vegetarian, but didn't really know exactly what a Vegan was, so I picked his brains and it all made sense to me!

feline01
Dec 19th, 2004, 06:41 PM
I was transferred from our main office to our satellite office and everyone kept telling me about some weird woman who was like me that worked in the satellite office. I was ovo-lacto vegetarian at the time. I had talked to her on the phone once to ask a question and she was really rude so I wasn't looking forward to meeting her but we did meet and she told me all about being a vegan and started giving me all sorts of literature and restaurant recommendations. I still think she is a crazy, rude, lunatic but at least she's another vegan!

foxytina_69
Dec 19th, 2004, 06:52 PM
i heard it on the peta website that i was looking at whilst watching the video "meet your meat" that a friend sent to me, on december 16th 2003. from that minute on, i was vegan! :)

veganblue
Dec 19th, 2004, 10:14 PM
In "The Teenage Vegetarian's Survival Guide" where vegan made so much sense but initially living at home and with few resources was difficult to maintain for longer than 6 months. Things are different now :)

Mystic
Dec 20th, 2004, 02:30 AM
I don't know - As long as I can remember, I have always known what a vegan was...I am sure there was a time where I heard it for the first time, but I cannot remember. My cousin was a vegan for a while, but she got sick because she could not absorb B12. She still can't (she is lacto-ovo now) and even struggles absorbing her booster shots.

Tigerlily
Dec 20th, 2004, 05:37 PM
I heard of it a few years ago. I had known about vegetarians but when I found out about vegans, I thought they were crazy. I remember even telling myself I'd never be vegan but it's crazy. :p Hahaha. Times have changed!

Gorilla
Dec 21st, 2004, 11:23 PM
i think i first heard it around the time i went veggie, some 12 or 13 years ago. i was learning more about plant-based diets, but didn't know any vegans and the internet wasn't around then, so i didn't have much info on veganism. the UK Vegetarian Society was kind of dismissive of vegans at the time i seem to recall.

i vividly remember when i told my parents i wanted to be veggie my dad said, "as long as you don't want to be a vegan - that's just weird!!!" that's the first time i actually remember hearing the word. ;)

now i love the word - vegan vegan vegan vegan vegan :D

BTW gert it's 'hear' not 'here' LOL ;)

jumpinglegacy
Dec 23rd, 2004, 04:19 AM
I first heard it when my friend said she was vegan... and I was like, you're a what? lol

Lilac Hamster
Dec 26th, 2004, 12:12 AM
Mine is even longer ago than IlFromaggio's (I guess you loved cheese before you were vegan?).

I had already gone vegetarian (1981) and joined the Vegetarian Society, BUAV and League Against Cruel Sports, I think it was in 1982 that I first read someone saying they were a vegan, I seem to remember it was a piece in the BUAV magazine "The Liberator", where the office staff of the BUAV were introducing themselves, some of them said they were vegan and I did not know what it was and actually I think I might have even phoned up the BUAV and asked or somehow made it a point to find out what a vegan was because I was intrigued and I'd never heard of it before. I was a pretty poor example of a veggie still at that time because I still ate loads of biscuits and jellies with animal fat and gelatine in them but I knew I wanted to be vegan eventually. I went vegan finally in 1984.

Lesley

Fruitbat
Dec 26th, 2004, 09:20 PM
I first heard it on Ready Steady Cook when I was about 11 and Mystic Meg came on. I thought vegans were the wrongest cast of people on earth but I was beign told that at the time by my parents and she did cast a very bad picture of it.

The second time I thought about it was when "next of Kin" sitcom was on BBC and I at once admired and scorned the extremist vegan grandaughter

Vegan entered my life firmly after turning vegetarian and I met a lovely vegan girl who is now my best friend and there was a Vegan Society approved vegetarian restaurant in town and then I discovered vegan Society and vegan ice cream and I read Optimum Nutition Bible which I interpreted as almost having nothing bad to say about veganism...

Now look at me!!!

bulletproof
Dec 26th, 2004, 10:42 PM
i guess it was around the time that i became one

kriz
Dec 27th, 2004, 07:52 AM
Lilac Hamster-

It must have been hard to be a vegan back in 1984??

Lilac Hamster
Nov 20th, 2005, 08:35 PM
Wow, nearly a year since I was on this thread, and so sorry I have not been on this forum much for ages, but I feel this is worth responding to, even almost a year later!

Kriz, in answer to whether it was hard to be vegan in 1984, I have to say no it was not really all that hard once I had decided I was determined to see it through although it is even easier now.

I can't imagine how hard it was for people who were vegan very long ago like Donald Watson and Arthur Ling who both passed away recently. I heard Arthur became vegan as early as 1926 and in comparison being vegan in 1984 surely was easy indeed, even without soya cheese on the market at the time.

I always feel a bit surprised that people think it would have been very hard being vegan in 1984, with the animal rights movement gaining in popularity rapidly at that time, I got involved in lots of groups and got to meet lots of vegans and vegetarians, and never really found it at all difficult. Really to me it feels like it was not all that long ago, not like a completely different world the way it must have been in the 1940s when the Vegan Society was founded. Most people knew what a vegetarian was in 1984 even though I had to explain veganism to a few people.

Lesley

moochbabe
Nov 21st, 2005, 01:54 AM
well the first time i ever heard it, i was really young, but at the time i didn't understand the lifestyle or anything else about it...i really found out about veganism when i first went veg, when i still had no intention or desire, of really doing it...then a couple years after that, i really found out about it as i became more active in being environmentally concious... i can't remember if there was anyone that i really learned it from though...

thecatspajamas1
Nov 21st, 2005, 06:22 AM
I think I first heard the word over a year ago when one of my friends became vegan. It's possible that I had heard it before. I don't remember even paying much attention to it when it happened. I didn't really know anything about it. What luck that within a year I would be vegan myself!

snaffler
Nov 21st, 2005, 02:49 PM
A hard one to remember but I think it was some time ago I was reading some information sent through by the Campaign Against Leather & Fur. It was a long time ago I can not recall the time or date

catmogg
Nov 21st, 2005, 07:09 PM
I was about 8 and my (much) older sister was telling my mum about a 'crazy' vegan performance artist. She was basically taking the piss out of this guy but although i'd never have admitted it to her, i thought he sounded really interesting!;)

Pilaf
Nov 21st, 2005, 08:58 PM
When I bought Moby's album "Play" back in 99. I did some research online and discovered he was a "vegan". Didn't think much of it at the time. It would be another six years before I turned.

Michael Benis
Nov 22nd, 2005, 12:47 AM
Around 75-76 at the Vegan Cafe in London. They had the old Vegan society leaflet on milk there. I was veggie at the time and went vegan on the spot. Lovely people, as well. Cat, Keith, Richard and Sue are the names I remember. Also Marijke and Kevin (I think). With Malcolm Horne they also started The Vegan Newsletter which not long after became Vegan Views. Henry, who I met on a sort of group outing, was the first fruitarian I ever met.

I ended up cooking and serving and washing up with them for a while before I went to university.

Does anyone know where they are now? The only one I've heard about is Malcolm, who organised the camp for several years, I think, and recently moved to Wales...

Cheers

Michael

Plunder Bunnie
Nov 22nd, 2005, 12:58 AM
I was like, 10 and watching Jonovision on CBC and they had people on talking about it.

coconut
Nov 25th, 2005, 06:52 PM
When I bought Moby's album "Play"

Yeah that's the first time I remember coming across the word vegan. The essay in the album sleeve is really good, I can't believe it didn't make an impression on me the first time I read it. Like everyone else whenever I thought of a vegan I got the image of a pale, stick-thin person. Shows how much I knew :rolleyes:

moochbabe
Nov 25th, 2005, 08:45 PM
lol, coconut, i had the same thought when i used to think of vegans... i always thought of skinny unhealthy ppl, sitting around like hippies eating carrots, now i know differently...although i have turned into quite a bit of a hippy :D

Pob
Nov 25th, 2005, 10:28 PM
I used to hang around with a vegan hunt sab sometimes in Sheffield from 1990. I think I knew about vegans before that, though.