PDA

View Full Version : Fiamma's Road to Raw

Pages : [1] 2 3

fiamma
Jan 25th, 2009, 05:12 PM
Ok, so here goes *takes a deep breath*

My aim is to adopt a raw food lifestyle; not sure about going 100% but would certainly like to eat two raw meals out of three every day.
And the idea behind this thread is to chart my progress, what I eat, and the emotional and psychological aspects of going raw. Because at the moment the idea of going raw feels a little like hiking to the summit of Everest :sad:

Please feel free to respond, encourage, give advice or support - the more the better! All I would ask is if you yourselves want to post what you eat, or do something similar to this, that you start a separate thread.

Thank you!!!!! :)

vegetarian_cat
Jan 25th, 2009, 05:39 PM
I don't know much about eating raw food.
I still have to understand if that is done for the animals or for health reasons.
Which one is it?

I just have one thing to say as advice: Dates !!

Dates save my life whenever I feel a bit low in energy and I need a quick
fix of energy.
A few raw dry dates (dry is fine, right?) can do wonder if you are in a rush.

Some people in Africa, I heard, live on 8 dates a day..

Have a good transition.

fiamma
Jan 25th, 2009, 05:44 PM
Thanks vegetarian cat!
The idea behind eating raw is for health; by not cooking our food many enzymes are preserved which are healthful to the body.

Dates....mmm! I love Medjool dates, but they are SO EXPENSIVE!!

Thanks for your good wishes :)

loveganism
Jan 25th, 2009, 06:20 PM
Hi fiamma! Good luck with your raw journey. I go through raw vegan phases- I *want* to be raw, but it's a real test of discipline!

Not sure if you're going to eat simple raw (salads etc) or gourmet raw dishes (using food processors, dehydrators etc), but a word of warning- the gourmet dishes will make being raw a drag very quickly! They're addictive, and often unbalanced (too sweet/salty/oily!). Eating raw can be really expensive, so I find it's worth using reduced price fruits and veg for juicing, and using the more expensive organic items for eating whole. Check out the pesticide list online of which fruits/veg are usually very high in pesticides- this helps choose which you should always buy organic.

If you don't already have a sprouter/sprouting jar, it's worth getting one as the seeds for sprouting are very cheap and the sprouts (broccoli/mung/radish etc) are nutritious and really liven up a salad :)

There's a website called www.goneraw.com (http://www.goneraw.com) that has loads of raw recipes.

One of my favourite raw meals is homemade salsa, homemade guacamole, olives rolled up in romaine lettuce. No food processor needed. Yum :)

Roxy
Jan 25th, 2009, 06:39 PM
Hi Fiamma! I really admire you for your new goal of going mostly raw.

I tried it last year, but unfortunately it didn't work so well for me. I think I was doing it for the wrong reasons, and because of my past ED problems, I found it too restrictive for me.

BUT in saying that, if this is something that you really want to do, then I definitely encourage it, as it can be a very healthy way of living, and you will probably find you will feel a lot healthier :)

I agree with the dates thing for when you need a quick, sweet fix. I love medjool dates too!

fiamma
Jan 25th, 2009, 08:24 PM
Aw thanks guys for your tips and your support :)

Loveganism: good tips about using the reduced price stuff for juicing, I'll certainly bear that in mind! I sprouted some mung beans in a mason jar the other week and they turned out really well, really delicious. I think I will look into getting a sprouter though, because the jar is kind of awkward, plus you can only do very little at a time. I got my dehydrater they other day too, so I'm all set :thumbsup:

Roxy: I'm sorry your transition to raw didn't work out; do you think it's something you might go back to in the future?

Day One

Today I think I did pretty well, considering how un-raw the day started out :umm:

Breakfast:
Two croissants, one little cake thing (all vegan but definitely not raw!!!)
Espresso coffee

Lunch:
Salad of salad greens, tomato, red pepper, fennel and orange with hemp oil (is that raw???)
Apple

Dinner:
Bowl of raw tomato and carrot chowder
Orange
Half a banana

So I'm feeling good physically; satiated but clean and light inside. Tomorrow I'm going shopping for fruits and veggies, am very excited :)

ellaminnowpea
Jan 25th, 2009, 09:30 PM
Oh yay! New raw adventure :D... I'm gonna be reading! Good luck!

fiamma
Jan 25th, 2009, 09:52 PM
Thanks Ella! :)

fiamma
Jan 26th, 2009, 09:31 AM
Day Two

I'm having issues with bread right now, ate four slices with jam for brekky :rolleyes: I did think of eating fruit, but the "comfort" issue won out in the end - maybe it's winter and the cold mornings? Still, I'm going grocery shopping this avo to get lots of fruit and veggies so hopefully that will get me making green smoothies, or fruit salad...

Lunch:
Bah... I was hypoglycaemic and ended up scoffing about a dozen biscuits (vegan) :(
Still, I made up for it with a large plate of orange and fennel, very refreshing.

One thing I'm really pleased about is that both the people close to me who know I want to go raw (or high raw) - my bf and my mum - are both being really supportive, it's fantastic :)

missbettie
Jan 26th, 2009, 06:47 PM
go fiamma you can do it! i havn't had much luck as of lately...but i've been kinda broke... :D

Manzana
Jan 26th, 2009, 08:38 PM
Hey Fiamma,
I went to this place in November: http://www.comunidadcruda.com/mag.php?lang=en . It is a raw food community. The man in charge is called Balta and he made us some really delicious food! Lots of avocados, custard apples, hemp smoothies, dates, nuts, olives and fruits.

I only did it for a week or so but it was 100% raw. It felt pretty good once you get used to eating quite a lot of quantity!

My main advice, normal people dont eat enough avocados!

Best of luck!

PS. I think Balta has been a raw vegan for about 25 years and he seems to be EXTREMELY fit, especially for a man his age...

fiamma
Jan 26th, 2009, 09:23 PM
Thanks missbettie and Manzana :)

Manzana - that's fascinating about the raw food community - lucky you! And yes, avocados; they seem to come into almost every savoury recipe :amazed_ani:

missbettie - I know what you mean about the grocery bill; I ent shopping tonight for veggies and spent 73!!!!!!!!!! :eek: *faint*

Dinner was a glass of freshly squeezed orange juice, an apple and a yellow kiwi (after stuffing my face YET AGAIN) with these sneaky little fried biscuit things they make here for Carnival :rolleyes:

Tomorrow I'm in Milan for my course; hopefully I'll be able to avoid temptations when I'm out.

Oh.... today I discovered that wheat contains a natural opiate... that's why it's so tough to give up for so many people.

missbettie
Jan 26th, 2009, 11:26 PM
and wheat is in everything...ugh.

it makes me sad that its so expensive when it the healthiest food for you, and for the most part there is no packaging and no one had to prepare it. its so strange....

the other thing is i don't know how people just eat fruit for dinner, i think i'd want a salad or something heavier...

ellaminnowpea
Jan 27th, 2009, 02:04 AM
Awww Fiamma. Don't beat yourself up over the bread. I really craved carbs when I ate raw. I think I crave carbs when I'm not eating enough calories...like sugary carbs!! But you're doing well, keep it up. :thumbsup:

fiamma
Jan 27th, 2009, 11:14 PM
Day Three

Today I had to get up at four to take the train to Milan for my course. And I woke up craving carbs, possibly because I didn't eat much last night.
So this is how the day panned out:

4am: 4 slices of bread, marg and jam
5am: Coffee
8.30: African Tundra tea

Snack during class: Almonds and raisins

Lunch: Salad of lettuce, radicchio, tomato, rocket, olives, artichokes and pine nuts

Afternoon snack: Apple, and a coffee because I was literally falling asleep :rolleyes:

Dinner: Didn't feel much like eating.. banana and an apricot jam tart

As I mentioned yesterday I bought a ton of veg, and today I bought a sprouter :thumbsup: So hopefully I'll get more into the swing of eating raw this week, and hopefully next Tuesday I'll be better prepared :)

Lifeonmars
Jan 28th, 2009, 04:53 AM
It sounds like your doing great Fiamma! Its nice to to read someones food journey. Good luck tomorrow!

fiamma
Jan 28th, 2009, 01:44 PM
Thanks lifeonmars, it's always great to get words of encouragement :)

Breakfast: lemon water, 2 glasses freshly squeezed orange juice

Lunch: Raw tomato chowder (an absolutely divine Victoria Boutenko recipe)
Salad with lettuce, valerian and rocket with hemp and flax oil
1 orange, 1 yellow kiwi

missbettie
Jan 28th, 2009, 06:49 PM
fiamma how did you make the soup? what was in it? if its divine i must know. lol

fiamma
Jan 29th, 2009, 02:38 PM
^ Hehe, well I thought it was divine, others might disagree.. :D

Blend 1 cup cashews or walnuts with 1 cup water until smooth (I didn't have a whole cup of walnuts so used a mix of walnuts/pine nuts - highly recommended, apart from the fact that pine nuts are SO EXPENSIVE; I was told it's because no-one picks them any more).

Then add the following and blend well:
1 cup water
1/4 cup olive oil
2-3 dates, pitted
1 cup chopped celery
Hot peppers to taste
1-2 cloves garlic (I missed this out as I find raw garlic a bit indigestible)
Celtic sea salt to taste (optional)

So there you have your plain chowder, you then add whatever veggies you want - Victoria suggests chopped broccoli, mushrooms, tomato, grated carrot, corn or peas, dulse flakes.

It made a lot too - 2 big bowls :)

Day Four

B: Bread and jam, coffee

Another coffee out with a friend

L: Spremuta (glass of freshly squeezed OJ), papaya, 2 oranges, apple

D: Will be live mushroom burgers, which are dehydrating as we speak :thumbsup:
Salad with valerian, rocket, tomato, avocado
Orange, half a banana

At the moment I'm finding it easy to eat 1 cooked and 2 raw meals a day; I'm considering going 100% raw for the whole of February (apart from my birthday weekend in London) as my next challenge.

Yesterday I ate raw at breakfast and at lunch, but caved at dinner, partly because I was freezing cold, and partly because I was feeling down about crashing the car, and so I was craving some warm, filling comfort food. So I made scrambled tofu, and my bf made roast potatoes, although to be honest - although the cooked food was delicious - I think I might have preferred something raw once it actually came around to eating.

I'm reading an excellent book by Victoria Boutenko (12 Steps to Raw Foods - How to End Your Dependency on Cooked Food), and it is truly an excellent book, not just for those who want to go raw; she explains lots of little ways how we can improve our way of living. And she explains how our eating patterns are governed by so many sub-conscious processes, and how cooked food is a dependency. I still have to make up my own mind about a lot of what she says, but it's a very inspiring read nonetheless.

Declan
Jan 29th, 2009, 05:23 PM
This is really interesting - I'm interested in raw veganism and would like to give it a go - maybe when the weather gets better here (In like July *rolls eyes*) or when I'm living in a (marginally) warmer climate (Roll on ERASMUS!!)

Ruby Rose
Jan 29th, 2009, 07:18 PM
Fi - did you get a dehydrator, or are you dehydrating in your regular oven?
RR xx

fiamma
Jan 29th, 2009, 08:01 PM
I got a dehydrater; 3 trays, temperature dial, didn't cost that much.
I'm really happy with it.

missbettie
Jan 29th, 2009, 08:08 PM
i have that book too, and you've inspired me to re read it. lol i started last night!

btw how do you blend the nuts until they are creamy? do you soak them first and then put them in the blender?

fiamma
Jan 29th, 2009, 08:18 PM
No, you don't need to soak them, at least I didn't; just whack them in the blender with the water. My mushroom burgers I had for dinner were pretty yummy, although a little bitter; don't know if it was because I used dark tahini instead of light, or whether it's a case of my palate still needing to adjust. Highly recommended :thumbsup:

(Dark tahini isn't raw, as far as I know; one thing I have noticed about raw uncookbooks is that they often use ingredients which aren't raw... I wonder why?)

Tomorrow I'm thinking soaked nuts and seeds with fresh fruit for breakfast, live fettuccine with basil pesto for lunch and stuffed peppers for dinner... mmm, I'm salivating just thinking about it :)

missbettie
Jan 30th, 2009, 07:57 PM
i wanna hear about the stuffed pepers your making!!