PDA

View Full Version : Deep frying chocolate bars

Pages : [1] 2

Mr Flibble
Jan 26th, 2009, 11:46 AM
On Saturday night I violated the one rule I've had since buying my deep fryer 5 years ago concerning it's use - only when sober.

But I've always wanted to try (but didn't know of their existance until after I turned vegan) a deep fried mars bar, and it seemed like a good time.

Obviously not completely the same, but I gave Organica Hazlenut Nougat & Dark Chocolate (http://www.goodnessdirect.co.uk/cgi-local/frameset/detail/501097_Organica_Vegan_Hazelnut_Nougat___Dark_Choco late__40g.html) bars a go. I'm glad I did.

I made a quick beer batter:

1 bottle of becks (275ml - any larger will do)
2 heaped tbsp cornflour
150g plain flour

Whisk together to the right consistancy (thick enough to coat basically), let stand for 10 minutes (not in fridge) as the fryer heats up, then whisk again before using.

After dipping put in 190 degree fresh sunflower oil (my oil was very much unuseable after trying this, as chocolate will melt and get into the oil, but it's important to use fresh if you don't want your pudding to taste like chips). I could fit 2 at a time in my standard sized fryer.

They take under 30 seconds to cook, by which point the batter has gone golden and the insides are nicely melted. I found that it's massively important to make sure that once put in you immediately make sure they rise to the top with a fork - otherwise they weld themselves to the bottom of the basket and are a bit of a challenge to get off.

Eat straight away, with vanilla soy icecream :)

1gentlemaorispirit
Jan 26th, 2009, 12:43 PM
One of the er . . .many delights I managed to avoid when living in Scotland. Deep fried Pizza and Haggis are also their delicacies. It's understandable why Scotland has the greatest number of health food shops in Europe than any other country.

Warm friendly people, and was like home away from home to me.:)

pusskins
Jan 26th, 2009, 02:43 PM
Wa-hey! Go Mr Flibble! I used to live in Aberdeen, just up the road from Stonehaven (where they were 'invented'), but didn't partake of the delicacy at the time. You're making my mouth waaaaater, though. Nom. Must give it a go!

Thank you! :thumbsup:

harpy
Jan 26th, 2009, 02:52 PM
Well, it was Burns Night yesterday so there's some excuse for such things I suppose...Not that the Bard ever had the pleasure of a deep-fried Mars bar, alas.

Marrers
Jan 26th, 2009, 02:56 PM
Mr Flibble, our public servant as ever! :D

squigaletta
Jan 26th, 2009, 03:50 PM
watched a programme featuring a deep fried mars bar the other night. it made me really sad to realise that I would never be able to try one, but this thread has given me hope :D

Cherry
Jan 26th, 2009, 08:38 PM
Oooh. Interesting. Any photos? I saw a recipe once for deep fried bounty bars which I've always been tempted to try with the organica coconut ones. I always seem to eat them before I get the chance though.

xrodolfox
Jan 26th, 2009, 09:24 PM
I love deep fried foods. YUMMY!!!

I'd have one (or two, or four. Darnit, the whole batch), but battered w/out beer.

Good idea! I need to get me one of those deep fryers for my own.

Cherry
Jan 26th, 2009, 09:44 PM
You can use fizzy water to make the batter.

loveganism
Jan 26th, 2009, 09:57 PM
Mr.Flibble- is this recipe idiot proof? :) ...my fear would be spending a quid on one of those (yummy) organica bars and totally ballsing up the frying process and ruining it and wasting all that oil and becks! (and having to wash up afterwards!)

vava
Jan 26th, 2009, 10:04 PM
shouldn't this thread be combined with the how to gain weight one?:D

cobweb
Jan 26th, 2009, 10:56 PM
One of the er . . .many delights I managed to avoid when living in Scotland. Deep fried Pizza and Haggis are also their delicacies. It's understandable why Scotland has the greatest number of health food shops in Europe than any other country.

Warm friendly people, and was like home away from home to me.:)

eh?? :confused:
the greatest number of health food shops? :umm_ani:
when i lived in mainland Scotland my 'local' health food shop was 50 miles away, and now i live in Orkney we just don't have one atall! :satisfied:

Mr F it sounds disgusting :p

1gentlemaorispirit
Jan 26th, 2009, 10:59 PM
eh?? :confused:
the greatest number of health food shops? :umm_ani:
when i lived in mainland Scotland my 'local' health food shop was 50 miles away, and now i live in Orkney we just don't have one atall! :satisfied:

Mr F it sounds disgusting :p

I lived in Partick and had 3 on Great western road, plus 2 in the town centre. :) Basildon just Holland and Barrett.:(

cobweb
Jan 26th, 2009, 11:01 PM
I lived in Partick and had 3 on Great western road, plus 2 in the town centre. :) Basildon just Holland and Barrett.:(

must be a regional thing, i lived near Fraserburgh :cool:
we use to have local pie weeks there, with posters around town bearing the slogan 'say aye to a pie' :rolleyes:

1gentlemaorispirit
Jan 26th, 2009, 11:07 PM
must be a regional thing, i lived near Fraserburgh :cool:
we use to have local pie weeks there, with posters around town bearing the slogan 'say aye to a pie' :rolleyes:

One of the health food shops called Grassroots has a restaurant/Cafe. The food is pretty good.

jimmeh
Jan 26th, 2009, 11:36 PM
I live near Partick and we don't have many health food shop at all. I usually have to travel 3 miles or so into the city centre to go to Holland and Barrett, which doesn't have an enormous range. I also live about 3 minutes walk from the chippy that invented the "stonner" (see link). On the plus side, we do have a lot of vegan restaurants for a city this size

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/article94120.ece

1gentlemaorispirit
Jan 26th, 2009, 11:45 PM
I live near Partick and we don't have many health food shop at all. I usually have to travel 3 miles or so into the city centre to go to Holland and Barrett, which doesn't have an enormous range. I also live about 3 minutes walk from the chippy that invented the "stonner" (see link). On the plus side, we do have a lot of vegan restaurants for a city this size

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/article94120.ece

Grassroots - Woodlands road.
Natural Balance- Great western road
Roots and fruits - Otago street

jimmeh
Jan 26th, 2009, 11:50 PM
Suppose. Still a bit of a hike from deepest darkest Partick. Maybe I'm just lazy.

I'm comparing them with some of the better health food shops I've seen, like the two in Berwick

Mr Flibble
Jan 27th, 2009, 12:11 PM
No pictures - they were eaten too fast.

I'd say it's worth the risk, but then it's up to you ;)

Mars bars can be melted in the microwave, however the vegan bars can't (I've wasted a couple this way - they go hard and weird in seconds - probably not enough water content). Deep fried however does give very good results. If you want an ultra low risk recipe you could just melt one a bit in a bain marie. It'll taste roughly the same.

You can certainly make batter without beer, or as cherry said use sparkling water. You loose some of the taste, but it's not the end of the world - it still physically does the job. There are a million recipes on google. It'd also work very well with alcohol free becks/larger if you don't mind having something that is 0.01% alcoholic.

The main problem I see is the cost of the oil (approx 2 worth in my fryer), which only makes it sensible if you're got a load of people round and doing a batch.

You need to deep fry really, I can't see it working with shallow frying (the batter needs to cook in one go and become crispy before the insides melt too much).

1gentlemaorispirit
Jan 27th, 2009, 12:53 PM
Suppose. Still a bit of a hike from deepest darkest Partick. Maybe I'm just lazy.

I'm comparing them with some of the better health food shops I've seen, like the two in Berwick

If the weather was nice, I would walk from Sauchiehall street, do some shopping in Lims or Chung Ying Chinese supermarkets, down past Cowcaddens subway, up along Graham street to Garnet Hill steet, making my way towards Charing Cross and along Woodlands road. If it was too hot, Id either make may way to Kelvin Grove park and sit under a shady tree feeding the squirrels or get on the subway at Kelvin Bridge to Partick. Twice a month Id walk from town via Woodlands road and up Great Western road, down Byers road, along Dumbarton in Morrisons or browse in Blockbusters, then home.

In winter Id get the subway at Buchannon or St Enoch, get off at St Georges Cross to Grass roots, hop back on the subway to Kelvin Bridge to Natural Balance and then back on to Partick. It was a pain as Grass roots didnt sell some foods that Natural Balance does.

I do miss living in Scotland. It will be 2 years come April since I lived there. My partner and I are considering to move back there or go over seas.

Berwick, the home of the Rugby sevens. :)

Marrers
Jan 27th, 2009, 06:07 PM
The main problem I see is the cost of the oil (approx 2 worth in my fryer), which only makes it sensible if you're got a load of people round and doing a batch.
First your cocktails, now this - just one more reason for a party at your place! :p

Mr Flibble
Jul 28th, 2009, 09:09 PM
If you're squeamish when it comes to chocolaty sweet things deep fried with icecream then please look away now, or click this link for a thread about favourite ways to eat kale (http://www.veganforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4676).

I tried the recipe again last night am pleased to announce that i was able to make it without any seepage, so the oil is still useable. I took a picture this time:

http://tmp.offline.org.uk/deepchoc.jpg

So when are you coming to visit then marrers? Just had the first of this year's peach and lychee pimms this evening.

xrodolfox
Jul 28th, 2009, 09:30 PM
^ OMG!
I'm an athiest, but if I believed in heaven, that's what it's gates would look like.

Ms_Derious
Jul 28th, 2009, 09:30 PM
So when are you coming to visit then marrers? Just had the first of this year's peach and lychee pimms this evening.

If I change my name to Marrers, can I come round for Pimms and deep fried choccy?

Mr Flibble
Jul 28th, 2009, 10:43 PM
^ OMG!
I'm an athiest, but if I believed in heaven, that's what it's gates would look like.

If I change my name to Marrers, can I come round for Pimms and deep fried choccy?

Only if you bring treacle tart and wear funky glasses :thumbsup: