PDA

View Full Version : I'm so hungry I could smack somebody! On-the-go meal planning

babystace
Jan 27th, 2009, 09:24 PM
The only complaint I have after becoming vegan is that I have a hard time planning to go outside (not just go out-but outside my home) anywhere more than five miles and be able to just pick up something convenient to eat that is vegan. Normally, I do carry a lunch box just in case because there aren't many vegan places in my state so I have to cook my own food. And if I go to a market to pick up something, my day is shot along with my pockets. I'll spend all day there not to mention all my cash, lol. But I don't always think of carrying a lunch box EVERY time I go out, nor would I really want to. And there are times I don't plan to be out all day and it just happens. What portable foods do you all pack away, just in case? I've had trail mixes or homemade granola bars or a piece of fruit. They work when I plan on having them in the house. I don't always have them though and my kids eat them up pretty quickly when they are there. Are there any other things I could stock up on so that I can just stuff it in my purse on my way out the door? What are your favorite on-the-go meals?

Forgive me in advance if I don't respond asap to your post. I've got to head out again!!!! But I'm looking forward to knowing what some seasoned vegans do to deal with their busier days. Thanks!

jimmeh
Jan 27th, 2009, 09:27 PM
One thing I ALWAYS carry with me is a bag of dried fruit - figs or apricots usually.

Quantum Mechanic
Jan 28th, 2009, 02:02 AM
Mixed nuts
Dried fruit
Larabars (which is basically the above two mashed and processed together into a yummy bar)
Sometimes dry cereal, like shredded wheat (though some really don't like dry cereal, but I hear that some places you can get small sizes of soy milk containers).

That's mostly what I do.

squigaletta
Jan 28th, 2009, 09:25 AM
nakd bars and primal strips, and I just always keep fruit with me, plus it's easy to pick it up normally wherever you are, fruit is your friend!