PDA

View Full Version : Laura's Idea Vegan Foods!

loveganism
Jan 29th, 2009, 08:31 PM
This company (although not vegan) have quite a lot of vegan snack foods in the fridge section in health food shops- lots of tasty salads etc, vegan calzone, vegan croquette, vegan spinach wrap and puddings- tofu cheesecake, apricot mousse, vegan lemon polenta cake in soy milk (awesome!). Warning- They're pretty healthy (the calzone doesn't even have vegan cheese in it- just shredded veg) so if you're expecting an exact, vegan equivalent of a Tesco cheescake you might be disappointed :)

But still, good to see more options for a vegan lunch!

twinkle
Jan 29th, 2009, 10:40 PM
I've never heard of them before. I wonder if they're available outside London?

bryzee86
Jan 29th, 2009, 11:31 PM
I don't think an awful lot of their stuff - their tofu "cheesecake" (tasted just of tofu on its own) got thrown away after one spoon.

Troutina
Jan 30th, 2009, 11:48 AM
I don't think an awful lot of their stuff - their tofu "cheesecake" (tasted just of tofu on its own) got thrown away after one spoon.

Me too!!
I think I made it to two spoonfuls before I left it for a pigeon to eat.

Her curry was nice but a salad I tried got quite dull half way through.
Shame because it's awesome loads of her stuff is vegan and available in a lot of stores.

Mr Flibble
Jan 30th, 2009, 11:50 AM
I've not seen their stuff outside central London.

I've tried quite a few of their things and they are OK, nothing special IMHO.

vegan lemon polenta cake in soy milk (awesome!).

This did *not* go down well with a certain someone off this forum, when I exported a pot to Cumbria a few years ago.

;)

This seems to be their relatively useless website: http://www.laurasidea.co.uk/ and someone claimed to have bought some in Manchester: http://www.justanswer.com/questions/onzu-buy-lauras-idea-vegan-food

Cherry
Jan 30th, 2009, 05:38 PM
OMG! Whatever that disgusting wibbly stuff in a tub was (cake, indeed!), I remember it well. I was thinking I hadn't tried anything by them. I guess being transported won't have done it any favours though.

BlackCats
Jan 30th, 2009, 05:41 PM
I have tried the vegan calzone and I quite liked it. I gave half to an omni guy and he thought it was good too, he sounded surprised.:rolleyes::D I think I tried the spinach wrap too. They were expensive though (if it is the range I'm thinking of!)

Troutina
Jan 31st, 2009, 10:25 AM
Mmm the calzone is amazing, hot or cold.

bryzee86
Jan 31st, 2009, 10:30 PM
Calzone it is not, though. Tomatoey-veg in a thick-as-a-boot-sole pancake it is.

loveganism
Feb 1st, 2009, 02:16 PM
Hahaha, ah... well I do go through phases of raw vegan so maybe their stuff tastes more flavoursome to me! Their stuff is pretty simple food (most things only have about 4 ingredients!) - using agave or maple instead of sugar and all their marinades for their salads are pretty much just oil and lemon juice.

My omni brother liked their croquette and spinach wrap/roll.

I noticed in Planet Organic a couple of their puddings hadn't been stored properly and had actually gone sour! So if it tastes REALLY disgusting, that maybe a factor ;-)

Elahiya
Feb 3rd, 2009, 02:32 PM
i tried the calzone, sushi and spianch pancake wrap... i was pretty disappointed by it. you had to search for tomatoes in the calzone, it consisted more of carrots and peppers. the sushi roll tastes like nothing and i find it a bit unusual that u have to bite your sushi off, itīs not that really possible to cut it in slices so that u have a more traditional sushi. the tofu spinach pancake was filled with more spinach than tofu. i like spinach, but it i think itīs just tooooooo much of it in there.

the apricot mousse is nice, but tastes more like blended dried apricots in my opinion. if you like dried apricots... but i like the tofu cheesecake and sometimes the tofu passion.dunno why. i know itīs nothing special somehow. or the vegan strawberries and vegan berry mix is very nice, too. although itīs more like soyayoghurt with fruit, the fruit are fresh and it tastes better than the bought soyayoghurt, unless u prepare it with fresh fruit on ur own. the polenta cake was ineterestig. itīs actually the first kind of polenta i like. iīve never liked polenta before.

Charlotte
Jul 10th, 2009, 05:20 PM
Had the rice pudding yesterday and it was pretty good. More imaginative than most vegan take out food around.

puca
Jul 10th, 2009, 06:57 PM
I don't know who Laura is, but her ideas aren't very good.

I honestly haven't enjoyed one meal of hers yet... And I'm a gannet.

Buddha Belly
Jul 10th, 2009, 07:56 PM
I looked at them in Whole foods and was not even tempted to try them. They all looked a bit too soggy. May taste nice though.

Cherry
Sep 23rd, 2009, 08:42 PM
I had a lovely Laura's Idea tofu sandwich and thought some of the other things looked nice too. I'd forgotten (again) that I'd encountered them previously.

dook
Oct 3rd, 2009, 12:35 PM
i really liked the spicy soba noodle salad. was not keen on the tofu cheesecake though, tasted too much like just tofu.

veganatheist78
Oct 3rd, 2009, 12:59 PM
I've had the spinach and tofu pancake and liked it for the most part. However, one day I bought an undercooked one and it tasted really floury and that put me off. I've also tried the millet and caraway seed slice. It was so bad, I can no longer eat anything that contains caraway seeds or millet. I agree that they all look a bit soggy. I no longer have any desire to touch them. I find it distressing that they sell them at Wholefoods. In America, Wholefoods has some really good vegan products. Here it's absolutely pants. Or maybe it's just that vegan products in the UK can't really rival American products in terms of quality or presentation. Although Mr Booja-Booja makes some exceedingly good truffles and a mean chocolate ice cream.