PDA

View Full Version : Recipes for leek and potato soup?

Zelah
Feb 7th, 2009, 11:35 PM
Has anyone got any recipes for leek and potato soup?

I have a non vegan recipe using meat stock and cream. If I swapped the stock into a vegan vegtable stock and use the soya cream alternative would it be ok?

I'm very fond of leek and potato soup so any ideas would be great, thanks

KcCrash
Feb 8th, 2009, 12:42 AM
Has anyone got any recipes for leek and potato soup?

I have a non vegan recipe using meat stock and cream. If I swapped the stock into a vegan vegtable stock and use the soya cream alternative would it be ok?

I'm very fond of leek and potato soup so any ideas would be great, thanks

I thinks that would be fine!I wuold post up my own if aohell hadnt deleted my recipe page (growls)
This is Cherry's though.

http://www.parsleysoup.co.uk/getrecipe.php?section=soup&recipe=leek_and_potato_soup

Risker
Feb 8th, 2009, 07:25 AM
2 Leeks (Trimmed & Chopped)
2 lb [1KG] Potato (Peeled & Diced)
2 Vegetable stock cubes made up into 2 Pints [1L] of stock
Vegetable oil
Salt & Pepper

Heat the oil in a large frying pan, add the leeks and fry until soft (Should take about 5 mins, do not let it brown.) Add the potato and stock, bring to the boil and simmer until the potato is soft (10-20mins). Remove half of the mixture and blend then return back to the rest (Leave half unblended so you have chunks or blend it all for smooth soup).

Add salt & Pepper to taste.

Serves 8

No need for soya milk/cream, keep it simple.

Roxy
Feb 8th, 2009, 07:50 AM
Mmmmm I haven't had leek & potato soup for ages! I should make it again soon, while the weather is still soup weather :)

cobweb
Feb 8th, 2009, 10:13 AM
i just cut up the leeks and potatoes finely and bung them in a pan of water with some really tasty stock, boil, then simmer for 40 minutes.

jimmeh
Feb 8th, 2009, 10:57 AM
You can also add soya milk near the end then blend it up if you like it creamier

harpy
Feb 8th, 2009, 01:03 PM
I don't bother with soy cream or anything like that as the potatoes make it quite creamy (depends on the potatoes and how creamy you like it of course!). If you are going to use soy cream I would add it right at the end so it doesn't curdle.

Zelah
Feb 8th, 2009, 01:20 PM
To store my soups I freeze them so wont put anything in like the soy milk or cream in til I'm ready to eat as I don't think it freezes too well?

But thanks for all the ideas, I can't wait to make some now :)

Cherry
Feb 8th, 2009, 04:16 PM
I wuold post up my own if aohell hadnt deleted my recipe page (growls)
This is Cherry's though.

http://www.parsleysoup.co.uk/getrecipe.php?section=soup&recipe=leek_and_potato_soup

Oops. Do you have them written down somewhere?

Zelah, I think that's probably a good idea to add the soya cream later if you're freezing it.

*live*&*let*live
Jun 29th, 2009, 09:53 PM
Mine is pretty much similar to Riskers but a word of advice, don't freeze! I find the potato goes really bitty (no jokes about Little Britain purlease!) and tastes yak!

DavidT
Jun 30th, 2009, 03:44 PM
Mine is pretty much similar to Riskers but a word of advice, don't freeze! I find the potato goes really bitty (no jokes about Little Britain purlease!) and tastes yak!

Leek and potato is one of my favourite soups. As we grow masses of both vegetables, it's handy having a liking for it! One of its advantages is that virtually the whole leek can be used.

In my opinion, the quality of the soup varies depending upon the age of the leeks and the type of potato.

The older, bigger leeks need more cooking and then more liquidising, in which case use less potato as otherwise the soup goes like a smoothie.

Care must be taken not to use too starchy a potato. It can give an unpleasant consistency, perhaps this is what l&ll means. I have had no trouble freezing this soup. Indeed, with our gluts of vegetables, a freezer tremendously useful.

As for recipes, cobweb has it just about right imo, though 40 minutes seems a tad long to me. A good stock cube (I use Kallo organic if any) or use water that has had vegetables cooked in it or steamed over it, possibly adding a little Vecon.

The milk and cream is decadent! Just before serving, I'm quite happy experimenting with whatever takes my fancy: grated nutmeg, yeast flakes, any fresh herb, croutons, toasted almond flakes, lime juice, sesame seeds, you name it.

*live*&*let*live
Jun 30th, 2009, 11:42 PM
Hi David
Can you recommend a potato that is suitable? I really would like to make a batch and freeze, but honestly whatever recipe I do with potatoes or pasta it doesn't freeze well. Could it be to the gluten in the pasta do you think? It goes like the potatoes. Thanks for your advice.:smile:

DavidT
Jul 1st, 2009, 10:30 AM
Potatoes themselves don't freeze well but I tend to mostly liquidise l&p soup.

The Irish prefer their potatoes floury so most varieties sold here are ok, Rooster being the most popular. You don't want what the British call 'waxy' potatoes. Those suitable for mashing are usually fine, Maris Piper, Estima, King Edward, Records, Roosters, but those that are a bit 'gluey' should definitely be avoided, perhaps better saved for baking.

There's a brown-skinned potato I can't recall the name of just now which is awful for soup. Well, for anything really.

*live*&*let*live
Jul 3rd, 2009, 11:06 PM
Hi David

I use Roosters most of the time (I love 'em baked the skin is scrummy!), but have never tried them in L&P soup. I will make some with these though the next time and see how it goes! Cheers! :satisfied:

DavidT
Jul 13th, 2009, 09:58 AM
I tried the variety Cara in some soup yesterday: not recommended. It's a bit gloopy. You live and learn....

They're beautiful spuds lightly steamed with a blob of Plamil organic mayo though!

DavidT
Jul 13th, 2009, 10:00 AM
I think the other aspect to any soup is to limit the amount of potato: many soup recipes call for one small potato. (Obviously, l&p has to have more...)

genisis
Aug 23rd, 2009, 03:51 PM
2 Leeks (Trimmed & Chopped)
2 lb [1KG] Potato (Peeled & Diced)
2 Vegetable stock cubes made up into 2 Pints [1L] of stock
Vegetable oil
Salt & Pepper

Heat the oil in a large frying pan, add the leeks and fry until soft (Should take about 5 mins, do not let it brown.) Add the potato and stock, bring to the boil and simmer until the potato is soft (10-20mins). Remove half of the mixture and blend then return back to the rest (Leave half unblended so you have chunks or blend it all for smooth soup).

Add salt & Pepper to taste.

Serves 8

No need for soya milk/cream, keep it simple.
TWO leeks,TWO potatoes,TWO stock cubes and TWO pints............thats so easy to remember,thanx Risker :)