PDA

View Full Version : Why has the BUAV standard been dropped?

philfox
Feb 10th, 2009, 08:58 PM
And can anyone explain further why?
http://www.uncaged.co.uk/petfood.htm

Unfortunately, the BUAV Standard is no longer operating. However, we have written to approved companies and obtained statements of confirmation from the following firms that they are still adhering to the Standard - they represent the ‘Premier League’ of anti-vivisection pet foods:

What can I look for on product labelling in order to ensure my shopping remains cruelty free?

vava
Feb 10th, 2009, 09:16 PM
buav doesnt mean it is cruelty free - it can be buav approved (not tested on animals) and still contain animal products - madness.:(

philfox
Feb 10th, 2009, 10:56 PM
oh no, i meant that it was the sort of back up that I checked after reading ingredients etc. I was just a bit curious as I am a member of a forum who aren't necessarily vegetarian but many are opposed to animal testing and it was pointed out on a thread there that the BUAV were no longer operating their standards or something.

The whole animal ingredients malarky is something which is quite frankly bizarre. Even Co-Ops labelling system is a bit odd. Maybe we should set up our own 'true vegan' labelling system? 'Vegan Forum Approved' :D

Gorilla
Feb 11th, 2009, 09:11 AM
this is the first i've heard of BUAV 'no longer operating' - Co-op products still have their logo :confused:

philfox
Feb 11th, 2009, 10:05 AM
That's what I thought Gorilla. But I do like uncaged campaigns and wonder what they mean. But they are a more animal rights 'focussed' group so maybe they have more strict regulationns over the policies. Or reading the link again, maybe it's just in regards to pet foods?