PDA

View Full Version : coconut

Daffodil
Feb 15th, 2009, 02:47 AM
I bought a coconut today at the supermarket (it just looked nice)

i dunno what to do with it tho, apparently you make a hole and drink the milk inside....but with wot??? how??? it's solid!??!

and what sort of recipies can i do with wot's left?

please help....maybe i should've left it on the shelf.

ps. are they fattening? :dizzy:

veganvic82
Feb 15th, 2009, 06:04 AM
Sorry Daffodil, I don't have the slightest clue..... but be sure to make yourself a coconut bra out of the shell when you do :)

Digital Ghost
Feb 15th, 2009, 07:44 AM
You need to use something sharp (a nail plus hammer would work or a drill) and make a hole in one of the 3 indentations at the top.

Drain out the juice which you can use in a recipe or drink.

Once drained wrap the coconut in a towel so that it doesn't break everywhere and use a hammer to smash it up.

Um....sorry - I guess if you did this you may not be able to make a bra.

Coconuts do contain fat but it is good fat - there are some good facts about its nutrition on here http://www.coconutresearchcenter.org/

f2097
Feb 16th, 2009, 12:25 AM
wow there is a coconut research centre.

Coconut milk is good as a smoothie ingredient. Like blending with a banana and some mango or pineapple or whatever really. I love the taste of coconut its so smooth and makes me dream of being on a tropical beach somewhere, in the heat, laying on the bright white sand listening to the sound of the waves *drifts off*

Vee
Feb 16th, 2009, 06:55 AM

i dunno what to do with it tho, apparently you make a hole and drink the milk inside....but with wot??? how??? it's solid!??!

Is it a green coconut or brown?? If it's brown and hairy, likely it won't have milk (or much) and the flesh will be quite firm and chewy and will taste quite like dessicated coconut you buy in the shops.

If it's green, it'll have milk that, once you've put your hole in, you'll be able to drink with a straw (probably best one of those wide thickshake types) and the flesh will be soft and silky (slimy?) compared to the above. If you knock two holes in the green, you should be able to pour the milk into a glass.

That just reminds me.......apparently you can get a vegan version of 'Bounty' bars (yummy coconut creamy stuff covered in chocolate).

Has anyone come across them? Are they as delicious as I remember 'Bounty' bars being?

Vee
Feb 16th, 2009, 06:58 AM

Forgot to add - yes! (they are fattening), so don't eat it all at once

Vee
Feb 16th, 2009, 07:02 AM
wow there is a coconut research centre.

Coconut milk is good as a smoothie ingredient. Like blending with a banana and some mango or pineapple or whatever really. I love the taste of coconut its so smooth and makes me dream of being on a tropical beach somewhere, in the heat, laying on the bright white sand listening to the sound of the waves *drifts off*

If I recall, back to the days when I would see commercials, that (beach etc) is exactly how the 'Bounty' ads went.

Sounds like you might be interested in the answer to my vegan 'Bounty' question??:smile:

Kitteh
Feb 16th, 2009, 07:11 AM
That just reminds me.......apparently you can get a vegan version of 'Bounty' bars (yummy coconut creamy stuff covered in chocolate).

Has anyone come across them? Are they as delicious as I remember 'Bounty' bars being?

Yup! Here (http://crueltyfreeshop.com.au/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3_18_72&products_id=448) at the Cruelty Free Shop :) I have also found them in Manly @ a cafe called Pure Wholefoods.

I find coconuts a bit hard to open, I have a young one in the fridge, I think I will get my bf to help me. Though a hammer and nail is a great idea for the milk, then I still need to open it to get the flesh.

puffin
Feb 16th, 2009, 01:12 PM
I smash it on the patio with great force, obviously there will be no milk after but it is pretty horrible so your not missing much :D

Daffodil
Feb 20th, 2009, 10:28 PM
I smash it on the patio with great force, obviously there will be no milk after but it is pretty horrible so your not missing much :D

loL!!

I'd quite like to try the milk....i still haven't opened it....

will take it to my dad i think on sunday so he can get his hammer and nails on it :-)