PDA

View Full Version : Tomato and split red lentil soup?

Zelah
Feb 28th, 2009, 01:55 PM
I'm looking for a tomato and lentil soup recipe ideally for the slow cooker/ crock pot. I don't have use of a convetional cooker - its broken.

I've been looking online but not got very far I find recipes but with other types of lentils.

I have loads of split red lentils.

Any ideas would be good, thanks

1gentlemaorispirit
Feb 28th, 2009, 02:25 PM
I use my slow cooker for soups and casseroles alot. My OH loves tomato and lentil soup. Here is my recipe:

2 tins chopped or pureed tomatoes
1 1/2 pints veggie stock or water
3 cups lentils
2 cloves of garlic
2 tablespoons Sundried tomato puree
3 carrots chopped
2 celery stalks chopped
Parsley and oregano
3 tablespoons Olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste

Place the ready soaked and cooked lentils and the rest of the ingredients in the slow cooker on low for 7-8 hours. When cooked puree if desired and top with home made garlic bread.

Home Made Garlic Bread

1 French stick cut into 1 inch thick rounds
1 clove garlic
5mls Extra virgin Olive oil
Salt and fresh Parsley to taste

Blend together the garlic, salt, parsley and Olive oil until fairl smooth. Gently dip the bread into the Olive oil mixture. When all the bread has been dipped in the oil, fry on a medium to high heat until golden brown.

fondducoeur
Feb 28th, 2009, 08:40 PM
Mmm. That sounds pretty tasty! I don't have a slow cooker, but I just might try that anyway.

Ananas
Apr 10th, 2009, 12:07 PM
Tomato & lentil soup's one of my favourites!
I never tried a recipe, but my way is pretty easy.
I stirfry some veggies like leek, sweet pepper and some cherry tomatoes with italian herbs & sambal. Then i add some veggie stock and pre-cooked lentils, and let it cook for 5 mins and thats all :) I usually have brown lentils though, i like them better. But i think u could use red ones as well, i assume u shouldnt cook them first then.

BlackCats
Apr 10th, 2009, 01:06 PM
I don't think I have tried brown lentils before Ananas. I usually have red and sometimes green.:)

1gentlemaorispirit - I just made that soup and garlic bread and it was delicious. I never thought to fry garlic bread before but it was so yummy like that.:thumbsup:

1gentlemaorispirit
Apr 10th, 2009, 03:58 PM
1gentlemaorispirit - I just made that soup and garlic bread and it was delicious. I never thought to fry garlic bread before but it was so yummy like that.:thumbsup:

Thank you BC! :) It was a needs must when I was craving garlic bread and had no oven.

Ananas
Apr 10th, 2009, 09:29 PM
I don't think I have tried brown lentils before Ananas. I usually have red and sometimes green.:)

i just found out that theyre actually called green on the package... they still seem brown to me anyway :D