PDA

View Full Version : My Go Vegan Week Flier

Sarabi
Mar 2nd, 2009, 08:49 PM
I just finished a basic version of my flier for Go Vegan Week that I plan to put up around campus:
http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=dhpdsx58_32dssvzvcb

Feedback would be appreciated. I realized as I created this flier that I was really emphasizing the LIFESTYLE and not the principles, which seems inadequate. I just found it easier to do that because I am not very comfortable talking to groups of people, especially on touchy matters, and I didn't want to make the thing too huge since my university has never had anything like this before. Plus, I am running it single-handedly. The bodybuilder who will speak will probably focus on health and environmental issues since those are his thing - impression I get from his personal website. I invited him to address health issues, but he can talk about whatever he wants.

On the final gathering, I am probably just going to prepare the dinner, give some handouts, maybe give out some prizes, and put on that video called "A Life Connected...For the People. For the Planet. For the Animals." Which mentions animals last (but not least???). I don't think a dinner is a good opportunity to tell people about violence. I might say a few words on nonviolence and compassion and introduce myself and thank some people. To make up for anything lacking around the principles, I am going to hand out fliers related to the principles!

ANYWAY, back to the flier. These are the best images I could find. I wanted to use PeTA's image of the cute chicks, but it says "We are not nuggets" in front of them. I know the fetal horse is not one of the primary American food slaves, but I couldn't find another good picture like it.

Namaste.

Eat Y'self Fitter
Mar 3rd, 2009, 04:38 AM
I love the idea!, anyway I'm a design major so I've done a few fliers. I think I could help you come up with something more visually appealing if you wanted. Typographical hierarchy could play a lot into how its read and what information is the most important. If you'd like me to demonstrate I'll be happy to. I'd do it now, but I'm about to head off to bed :( I don't mean to butt in but in but I'm here for help if you want it.

harpy
Mar 3rd, 2009, 12:22 PM
I think it looks quite effective. Just a couple of suggestions:

Are "Tuesday (3-24): red meat out" milestones you want them to hit, as opposed to events? If so maybe include a brief explanation of what the milestones are. You could perhaps use a calendar-like layout to make it clearer what's happening when.

Maybe some cuddly-looking calves or whatever would have more general appeal than the horse foetus. You could also add extra pics, e.g. a rainforest to suggest the environmental aspect of being vegan? More colour generally might be good if it doesn't make the flier too expensive.

Is there a web site they can go to get more information? That would save having to overcrowd the fliers.

Good luck with it all, sounds great.

Sarabi
Mar 3rd, 2009, 07:19 PM
Thanks! EYF, I would love to see an example of what you mean, or an explanation at least.

harpy: Those are really helpful suggestions! They are not milestones. People who are not vegan will focus on giving up red meat on Tuesday, for example. I might suggest that they do that every week, but not on the flier. I like the idea of a calendar and more pictures, but I don't know how any of that will fit. My original idea was to have more space for the actual events and themes, so they would just strike people as they walk out of the dorm to the dining hall each day. However, I was passing by the guard desk in my dorm last night and noticed there were quarter sheets about an event just lying there for all to see and take. I think this would possibly work even better as far as the themes go!

Cuddly calves is a great idea! I looked that up on Google and found some great photos. I don't want anything about the environment because I think that stuff if overemphasized anyway in the "vegan" movement.

Sarabi
Mar 11th, 2009, 04:00 AM
Hey, if you want to get back to me about flier design, you'd better do that by this weekend because I am going to make copies quite soon. Thanks.

Eat Y'self Fitter
Mar 11th, 2009, 04:45 AM
Oh wow I feel terrible I totally went M.I.A. on this, I was starting to design something but then a lot of work came up. OK here's what I did http://www.sendspace.com/file/w3nqgs

its just simple typography no images, because I'm guessing you're trying to print this as cheap as possible and pictures deteriorate when copies are made. Anyway typographical hierarchy involves emphasizing the most important points of your poster/work with type through typefaces (fonts), different weights and type sizes. The actual schedule part looks a bit messy but I wasn't sure if this is exactly what you would of had in mind. Its VERY simple, sometimes posters have too much going on and take away from the actual content, but I have found some neat imagery that I can supply you with. Just an example no harm no foul if you dislike it.

Sarabi
Mar 11th, 2009, 11:31 PM
Hey, that's really cool. I would use your template, but I can't edit PDF, and it really needs to have my contact information - plus I might need to update about the pre-week thing. In any case, thanks for the example. It doesn't cost more money to print with images, but they would be printed in black and white, so the only issues might be image quality as you mentioned and spacing.

Thanks a ton! If you'd be willing to make some updates for me within the next few days, that would be cool, but I don't want to bug you or anything. I'll work something out.

Namaste.

Eat Y'self Fitter
Mar 12th, 2009, 12:49 AM
yea PDF was the easiest way to export it from Adobe Illustrator, but anyway, I really don't mind adding anything to it if you tell me exactly what you want on it. I might be able to work out some other file formats as well but PDF is usually the standard in documents.

Sarabi
Mar 12th, 2009, 04:59 AM
Okay, great. I will get back to you soon.

whalespace
Mar 12th, 2009, 07:57 AM
Good stuff Sarabi [and EYFitter].
I think doing that kind of thing is brave, and can take a lot of time. Good organisational exercise as well.
Good point about presenting information in one format to many different people....they will be looking to extract information which they feel is relevant to them.

terem
Mar 12th, 2009, 09:50 PM
The vegan week idea is great and I like the poster idea, but I do agree with harpy to nix the horse fetus picture. Go with a happy animal, it is vegan week after all!