PDA

View Full Version : Cutting out the crap and Going Raw

brighteyed
Mar 3rd, 2009, 04:44 AM
Whew it's been a long time since I've been on this forum! So much has changed in my life... for the better :) I'm stronger and fitter and happier than ever before. That said, I want to rid my diet of a few unhealthy things and move from my current plan (about 75% raw- raw food, soy milk & protein, coffee & drinks) to a 100% raw plan.

Mainly, I want to cut out the unhealthy drinks (coffee, soda), GUM, and artificial sweeteners which are TERRIBLE for my health. I've watched my body's reaction to different foods and I find that my digestion and mental clarity is best when I stick to wholesome, raw foods. No problem, right? :satisfied:

Not so- I am a poor college student with no car and only a microfridge & a hand blender. I'm addicted to sweets (candy, gum, coffee w/splenda). Am I doomed to never change?

I'm trying to slowly make the transition, but I get frustrated and low in energy quite easily, making me return to my habits.

Here's my attempt for today:
B- apple, two oranges blended into smoothie
S- 2 carrots, tsp peanut butter
L- large salad w/ tsp seeds, every kind of veg known to man, and olives
S- apple, 5 baby carrots w/ tsp pb, celery and pepper strips
D- greens w/ sprouts, a little hummus (not raw), tomatoes, carrots, olives w/ balsamic
S- (an hour later starving) more carrots w/pb, 1/2 cup almond milk, apple
Then I gave in to the cold weather and had 2 cups of tea w/almond milk and 1/2 cube veg bouillion. And I'm chewing gum :(

I feel kind of dizzy and tired and I'm wondering if I'm doing this right or if I'm just adjusting to the lack of caffeine. And tips/experiences/books/sites that might help me would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks and wish me well in my journey towards becoming raw :D

Quantum Mechanic
Mar 3rd, 2009, 06:23 AM
I'm no nutritionist, but if you wanted to tell what was the effects of going off caffeine and then discern the effects of diet change, it would probably be much easier to discern by changing these two variables separately - such as by first sticking with usual diet, but ridding caffeine, and then changing the diet again once effects of caffeine loss have been sufficiently noted, then proceed.

Cherry.Chops
Mar 3rd, 2009, 03:24 PM
you should try and eat more, your not getting many calories there.

You will find that if you are raw for a number of days then you eat cooked, the cooked will make you feel hungrier and crave more.
good luck and you will feel great in no time!

brighteyed
Mar 3rd, 2009, 07:02 PM
Thanks for the responses!
I am working on getting in more calories... especially with the peanut butter (been eating it all day! -it is raw, right?).

it would probably be much easier to discern by changing these two variables separately - such as by first sticking with usual diet, but ridding caffeine, and then changing the diet again once effects of caffeine loss have been sufficiently noted, then proceed.
This is a good idea and a far more adequate way of seeing what's contributing to the way i feel. I get ahead of myself sometimes- I just wish I could be rid of the icky feelings that bad food has inflicted upon my body. One day at a time, I suppose.

When starting out raw, is it generally easier to start out with large portions, heavier or lighter foods, not too much sugar or more than is ideal, etc? I would love to make the transition as seamless as possible!

missbettie
Mar 3rd, 2009, 07:40 PM
peanut butter is definately not raw, most normal nutts you get won't be. but if it helps you transition i don't see the harm.

they say that when you are starting out to eat as much as you possibly want of everything raw. whatever raw food your body craves eat it!

Kitteh
Mar 3rd, 2009, 09:19 PM
Hi BrightEyed :)

I agree with trying to break your caffeine addiction while not being 100% raw. It will probably be easier. Even if you can transition to black tea w/ soy/rice/almond milk instead of coffee.

I am high raw at the moment but am still having a cup of tea w/ rice milk in the mornings, I will probably give it up eventually but at the moment I still enjoy it.

Commercial pb is not raw but you can get raw peanuts and raw peanut butter. That said they're not nuts, they're legumes and can be hard to some ppl to digest and they can contain fungi. I still have non-raw foods at home so I am finished them up or will give them away, incl. a jar of non-raw pb and last night I had a spoonful after dinner.

If you need it to transition then have it and as most ppl said, the more raw you eat, the more raw you will want. I too find if i eat cooked food then I want more cooked food.

I don't chew gum, but maybe you could have something on hand to have instead? Like some fruit, or make some fruit rolls or nuts or something healthier?

Good luck and just do your best :)

brighteyed
Mar 4th, 2009, 04:45 AM
Thanks for the suggestions! I've had two cups of black tea today and they definitely helped curb my craving. That's so odd about peanut butter, I always assumed it was raw! I don't even like it much- I had bought it as a "raw" substitute for hummus. Oh the things we learn :) Is there an alternative source of concentrated protein other than nuts that I could try? I lack the monetary funds to purchase expensive raw nuts, but I want to get in enough protein and calories for my runs without gorging on fruits (been there, got a protruding belly & a massive stomachache).

I'll also try your gum replacement suggestion Kitteh- hopefully will help with my sweets addiction as I transition. Great ideas and input guys, thanks so much for helping a noob!

Cherry.Chops
Mar 4th, 2009, 10:08 AM
for the gum, you could try fruit leather? or make your own!
Dates, dried fruit and bean sprouts contain lots of proteins...but all the raw food you will eat are packed with amino acids which are the building blocks of proteins your body will make. so really, i dont think there is anything to worry about there. I have logged my protein intake on a raw diet, and im getting plenty. (i dont eat loads either!)

Remember to eat fats too like avocado, flax and cold pressed oil. This will help you with your healthy fat and calorie intake as well as being super good for you!

harpy
Mar 4th, 2009, 11:30 AM
You can make hummus from raw chickpeas if you sprout them first - there are some recipes around e.g. http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Raw-Hummus/Detail.aspx ETA though that one suggests that you need to put the sprouts in boiling water for a minute after which they presumably aren't raw :confused:

I find raw chickpea sprouts rather indigestible myself but I am fine with other sprouts such as mung beans. I imagine they could be a good source of protein in a raw diet.

Kitteh
Mar 5th, 2009, 02:29 AM
There are rawcipes for hummus made w/ zucchini too, I am going to try one soon

brighteyed
Mar 5th, 2009, 03:41 PM
Mmm those sound good! I'll definitely look for some raw hummus recipes and try them out. Let me know if you find the zucchini recipe, Kitteh, as it's my favorite vegetable and I'd love to try it!

Kitteh
Mar 5th, 2009, 08:41 PM
Here are a few!

http://www.rawfreedomcommunity.info/forum/showthread.php?t=103

http://www.therawtable.com/recipecoll/hummus.htm

http://makeeverydayraw.blogspot.com/2007/06/zucchini-hummus.html

JC
Mar 5th, 2009, 09:52 PM
for the gum, you could try fruit leather? or make your own!

What's fruit leather? :confused:

Kitteh
Mar 5th, 2009, 10:05 PM
What's fruit leather? :confused:

Fruit Rolls or Fruit leather are made by pureeing fruit and then dehydrating that liquid

http://images.marthastewart.com/images/content/pub/kids/2007Q1/skate_fruitrolls_l.jpg