PDA

View Full Version : Hunstman 'killed by saboteur gyrocopter'

Gorilla
Mar 10th, 2009, 04:53 PM
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/4/20090310/tuk-huntsman-killed-by-saboteur-gyrocopt-dba1618.html

Two suspected saboteurs have been arrested on suspicion of murder after landing a gyrocopter in a field and killing a hunt supporter.

Trevor Morse died after he was hit by a gyrocopter at Long Marston airfield near Stratford-Upon-Avon, Warwickshire, as he followed a hunt on Monday afternoon.

The hunt had previously complained to the Civil Aviation Authority about the gyrocopter, a cross between a light aircraft and a helicopter, following them.

Warwickshire Hunt master Sam Butler said: "A gyrocopter had been following us for a couple of weeks and we had made a formal complaint to the Civil Aviation Authority ten days ago."

He added: "It is a tragic but fatal accident, our first and foremost thoughts are with Trevor's family and we must wait for the facts and the truth ourselves.

"He was a very great supporter, a passionate believer in country sports and hunting and the tribute I pay is not only to him but to his family.

"This man was the most loyal and most high quality supporter of hunting you will ever find."

Mr Morse, from Alderminster, near Stratford, is believed to have been in his 40s. He died at the scene.

The Civil Aviation Authority confirmed that a complaint about the gyrocopter was received ten days ago, and an investigation subsequently launched.

A spokesman said: "The CAA can confirm that it has received a complaint regarding the operation of the gyrocopter involved in yesterday's incident.

"The CAA is investigating that complaint in conjunction with the police."

cobweb
Mar 10th, 2009, 08:22 PM
well i really do hope that there is also an investigation into just what the hunt were doing in the first place - as we all know they can't be hunting foxes because that is illegal.

hullabaloo
Mar 10th, 2009, 08:34 PM
They don't hunt foxes. They lay down a fake trail and follow that, it's called drag hunting.

To be honest, I think the press are puting two and two together and coming up with a sensationalist story. The facts remain unclear and I don't think it is right to speculate.

cobweb
Mar 10th, 2009, 08:44 PM
They don't hunt foxes. They lay down a fake trail and follow that, it's called drag hunting.

To be honest, I think the press are puting two and two together and coming up with a sensationalist story. The facts remain unclear and I don't think it is right to speculate.

Really, that's what they were doing, drag hunting :confused:
the article doesn't mention that, also says that the victim of the accident was an ardent hunt supporter/country sports supporter, seems odd to me that he'd be following a drag hunt, especially as drag hunts move a lot faster than fox hunts and are difficult to follow..........

cobweb
Mar 10th, 2009, 08:50 PM
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/crime/article5877904.ece

with all respect, hullabaloo, it appears you don't know what you are talking about in this instance, please read the article i have linked here, it gives more information, including the involvement of the master of foxhounds.

cobweb
Mar 10th, 2009, 08:53 PM
It would appear that this man was actually killed because he stepped onto an airfield runway whilst trying to discover who had been following the hunt - he got in the way of the aircraft and now the blame is being shifted!.

harpy
Mar 10th, 2009, 09:14 PM
I'm sorry about the man, but if as the "hunt master" says it was an accident then surely by definition it wasn't murder?

cobweb
Mar 10th, 2009, 10:32 PM
I'm sorry about the man, but if as the "hunt master" says it was an accident then surely by definition it wasn't murder?

quite, Harpy, unlike all those foxes they accidentally kill whilst out for a quiet ride with a pack of hounds :rolleyes:

Honest_Goodbye
Mar 10th, 2009, 11:04 PM

Unforunatly keeping a horse means i run into a lot of hunt supporters, i know for a fact when they go they have no plans to do drag hunting! :rolleyes:

I agree with Harpy, if it was an accident it's not really murder.

Spud Addict
Mar 11th, 2009, 12:10 PM
It's an awful and tragic accident, but I'm sure if it was some random passer-by flying the gyrocopter the word 'murder' would be last on everyone's lips.

VeganMonkey
Mar 11th, 2009, 01:55 PM
It's a shame that one of the comments on the Times Online article was 'This was karma knocking him on the head'. Those kind of glib comments play right into the hands of the people who think that if you care about animal rights you must hate humans. I'm sure that everyone on both sides of the hunting debate recognises this as a tragic loss of life. Surely it had to be an accident? - I really hope so or that's another blow to the reputation of the animals right movement (in a world where the media will only highlight the negative stories).

Est
Mar 11th, 2009, 02:46 PM
Well said, Vegan Monkey

horselesspaul
Mar 11th, 2009, 06:01 PM
It's a shame that one of the comments on the Times Online article was 'This was karma knocking him on the head'. Those kind of glib comments play right into the hands of the people who think that if you care about animal rights you must hate humans. I'm sure that everyone on both sides of the hunting debate recognises this as a tragic loss of life. Surely it had to be an accident? - I really hope so or that's another blow to the reputation of the animals right movement (in a world where the media will only highlight the negative stories).
The glib one liner is the stock in trade of the online newspaper 'comment' lists. The format invites mindless remarks and internet keyboard warrior dullardry unfortunately.
The word accident is not used by police to describe road traffic 'collisions' now because these things all have a reason behind them. I suspect this incident will have primarily arisen because an individual walked on to an airstrip but obviously I don't know for certain.
It's very sad.

VeganMonkey
Mar 11th, 2009, 06:09 PM
[quote=horselesspaul;558963]The glib one liner is the stock in trade of the online newspaper 'comment' lists. The format invites mindless remarks and internet keyboard warrior dullardry unfortunately.
quote]

You're right - I should stop reading them as they make me very angry!

emzy1985
Mar 18th, 2009, 04:39 PM
Being of an animal rights disposition I've heard alot of different stories. Some people were saying that the "hunt sabs" weren't even really hunt sabs, just concerned citizens checking up. Others have said that they have been charged with murder etc. Also aload of distasteful comments about being ripped to shreds. It would be a great tragedy if these hunt sabs are found guilty of murder. (Agreeing that the loss of life is a great tragedy anyway.) It will be plastered all over the front pages, " animal rights terrorists brutally murder animal loving country man!" In the whole history of the animal rights movement not one single human life has been lost on "their side." They are oh so easy to brush away the four we have lost already.......