WHat is gluten and why is it not vegan?

umbilical
Mar 11th, 2009, 08:11 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gluten

it doesn't say it is not vegan :confused:
it says it can be gained from wheat

missbettie
Mar 12th, 2009, 12:14 AM
it is vegan, just a lot of vegan pre packaged food doesn't have it in there because a lot of people have a gluten allergy, its from wheat. :)

jupiterinka
Mar 12th, 2009, 12:31 AM
Yes, it's vegan, but there are many reasons people avoid it. As a rule, I try to stay away from it, but it's not always possible to find gluten-free vegan food...in a restaurant especially. If you have any questions about eating gluten-free, let me know. I started that lifestyle way before becoming vegan.

Mahk
Mar 12th, 2009, 02:34 AM
Although some people are allergic/sensitive to it (Celiac Disease) there is no reason I know of for general people to avoid gluten. In fact, since our number of available protein sources are slightly limited since we don't eat animal proteins I actually recommend it. Gluten is 81 % pure protein (http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts/cereal-grains-and-pasta/7738/1) which is quite high and contains some Omega 3 and 6 fatty acids.

Yes, there are websites and books that preach that gluten should be avoided but I have yet to see any of them back their claims with scientific data nor any generally recognized nutrition groups, such as the vegan focused PCRM (http://www.pcrm.org/health/veginfo/nutritionfaq.html), warn of any "harms", in fact they also recommend it in this FAQ:

4. How do I get protein on a vegan or vegetarian diet? Do I need to combine proteins?

Protein is an important nutrient required for the building, maintenance, and repair of tissues in the body. It was once thought that various plant foods had to be eaten together to get their full protein value; this practice was known as “protein combining” or “protein complementing.” We now know that intentional combining is not necessary. As long as the diet contains a variety of grains, legumes, and vegetables, protein needs are easily met.

Seitan is pure gluten seasoned with tamari and ginger for taste.

Especially protein-rich vegetarian foods include soy-based products like tofu, texturized vegetable protein, tempeh (a fermented soybean product), and veggie burgers, seitan (a meat substitute made from a wheat protein called gluten), black beans, lentils, chickpeas, grains such as quinoa and bulgur, and whole wheat bread.

Seitan is pure gluten seasoned with tamari and ginger for flavor. Very yummy; I have it often.:smile:

jupiterinka
Mar 12th, 2009, 12:39 PM
I have never been diagnosed as a celiac or having a gluten sensitivity, but I still do avoid it when possible because it makes me feel bloated and puffy. I still get protein in my diet from a variety of other sources. Overall, I just feel healthier eating gluten-free.

Zero
Mar 12th, 2009, 02:38 PM
Is it all sources of gluten that cause this with you or just wheat gluten?

I try to avoid eating too much wheat as I find it makes me sluggish, tired and bloated, other sources of gluten seem fine with me.

I do seem to be okay with low amounts of wheat though. I wish I could figure out why but unfortunately I can only use how I feel as a guide.

I have been using more spelt and riced based products in an effort to eat less wheat.

xrodolfox
Mar 12th, 2009, 10:16 PM
Gluten is a type of protein. That protein is the same if it isn barley, or in wheat. That protein is just in higher number in wheat.

If someone has Celiac Sprue, then they are sensative to all gluten in all foods. Wheat products just have more gluten as part of their caloric make-up.

If someone is only sensative to wheat, then that's something completely different, and may not have anything at all to do with gluten.

Gluten is just a name for a spefic type of protein just as Omega 3 is the name for a specific fatty acid, regardless of source.

VigaRican
Mar 17th, 2009, 06:42 AM
I see :) thank you all for your responses! Im not so confused anymore !

ladyaprille
Mar 17th, 2009, 09:14 AM
I have never been gluten free up until about 3 months ago. I never felt bloated, I didnt think any different of myself when I ate it.. BUT WHOOOOA. Gluten free - Talk about feeling UNBLOATED.. lol. Definitely try it if you have not yet. Just for two or three weeks and see how you feel.
If it's LBD time ladies - it's a winner :)

Quantum Mechanic
Mar 17th, 2009, 11:29 PM
If someone experiences GI symptoms, it's best to get it checked out by a doctor. Because maybe gluten or wheat is the problem, but there could be a different underlying health issue (either instead of or in addition to a gluten or wheat sensitivity), which could be anywhere from really minor to quite serious.

So it is a good idea to get tested at a doctor, because even if a GF diet helps, that may not be the only issue going along with it. And if it's Celiac, that comes with a whole slew of complications, some (or many) of which may not be obvious, so it would be a good idea to find out definitively if you've got that or a wheat sensitivity or what, to determine if you might have suffered complications (beyond the original symptoms) already from prior consumption of gluten. It is also good to know if the problem is wheat and not gluten, as gluten (as Mahk pointed out), is a good protein source. Oats and barley have their merits, excepting a gluten intolerance.

nilrecurring
May 20th, 2009, 04:32 AM
I may have just missed it, but I didn't see anybody mention skin problems as a result of gluten intolerance. DH is particularly nasty:

http://www.aocd.org/skin/dermatologic_diseases/dermatitis_herpeti.html

CassieGetty
Sep 2nd, 2011, 07:09 AM
Gluten is a kind of protein found in almost all kinds of food like bread. Wheat, rye and barley bread have gluten. If you want to take gluten away from your diet, then you should start avoiding bread, beer, crackers, oats, cereals, pasta, imitation meat and imitation seafood, gravy, salad dressings and soups. You can still eat these if they are labeled as gluten free.

The food that has grains and starches that you can still eat are cornmeal, corn, rice and tapioca. There are other food products that are free of gluten and you can find these at your local grocery stores.

Of course fresh meat, fish, chicken, a lot of dairy products, fruits and vegetables are gluten free so you can still eat those. Besides, these are healthy foods to begin with.

harpy
Sep 2nd, 2011, 01:38 PM
The first four types of food you mention as being gluten-free aren't vegan though, and some people here would question how healthy they are too.

Andy_T
Sep 2nd, 2011, 05:32 PM
Nobody would question it - everybody knows that they are NOT healthy at all.
(And even if they were, they would have no place here)

Best regards,
Andy