PDA

View Full Version : St. Patrick's Day Recipes

missbettie
Mar 16th, 2009, 08:07 PM
I need a good recipe for St. Patrick's Day. Like a full dinner, if it was something I could throw into the crock pot (or slow cooker) that would be all the better. :)

jimmeh
Mar 16th, 2009, 08:13 PM
erm.. Irish stew perhaps?

Also colcannon as a side. I use this recipe

water for boiling
5 large potatoes
1 head green cabbage, chopped
3 leeks, sliced
1 cup soy milk
1/4 tsp nutmeg (optional)
salt and pepper to taste

Place potatoes in a large pot and add enough water to cover the potatoes. Bring to a boil and cook for at least 20 minutes, or until potatoes are tender. In a separate pot, boil the cabbage in water for 15 minutes. Drain and set aside.
In another pot or skillet, cook leeks in soy milk until tender, about 15 minutes.
When potatoes are done cooking, mash them together with leeks, soy milk, nutmeg, salt and pepper. Add cabbage and stir to combine. Add more salt and pepper to taste and enjoy!

Poison Ivy
Mar 16th, 2009, 08:14 PM
Some vegan irish recipes here (http://www.ivu.org/recipes/european/uk-eire-index.html):)

missbettie
Mar 16th, 2009, 08:16 PM
whats a colcannon?

i'm not irish one little bit, but my husband to be is irish and lurves this holiday, i really don't know what its all about... but i love cooking. :D and it would help lots if the recipe is omni approved :D

that sounds yummy though jimmeh thats along the lines of what i was thinking, though i'm not a big fan of cooked cabbage... it smells pretty bad.

missbettie
Mar 16th, 2009, 08:17 PM
thanks PI! I couldn't find a good website. I make shephards pie a lot, and neal really likes that.

jimmeh
Mar 16th, 2009, 08:22 PM
whats a colcannon?

that sounds yummy though jimmeh thats along the lines of what i was thinking, though i'm not a big fan of cooked cabbage... it smells pretty bad.

Ha ha. I don't think you can make an Irish dinner without cabbage I'm afraid, missbettie :D St Paddy's day is mostly about wearing silly green hats and getting hideously drunk and merry. Enjoy :thumbsup:

BlackCats
Mar 16th, 2009, 08:28 PM
I had forgotten it was St Paddy's Day tomorrow.:o I will wear something green when I go out tomorrow.:)

Colcannon and Irish stew sounds great as well (with soda bread) yummers. I hope you have a good day Missbettie.:thumbsup:

missbettie
Mar 16th, 2009, 08:30 PM
thanky! i think i may try a stew, i really want something for my crock pot, i want something cooking all day and when i get home the house to smell oober yummy.

whalespace
Mar 16th, 2009, 08:41 PM
O.K., please don't hate me, but I thought it worth mentioning.

St. Patrick's own speciality:

Drowned snake in sea water.

Method:
Cast all of the snakes in Ireland into the sea.

Sorry.
I know Saint Patrick was a down to earth grafter.
I'm jumping to conclusions too...snakes can swim can't they?

missbettie
Mar 16th, 2009, 08:54 PM
ya well, most holiday's have lost their previous "charms" and are entirely commericial now, soooo i'm not sure its really promoting snake drowning, just as much as Christmas isn't the day i celebrate Christ (though many others do)

besides i just thought St. Patrick's day was about boozing it up! :D

jimmeh
Mar 16th, 2009, 08:59 PM
O.K., please don't hate me, but I thought it worth mentioning.

St. Patrick's own speciality:

Drowned snake in sea water.

Method:
Cast all of the snakes in Ireland into the sea.

Sorry.
I know Saint Patrick was a down to earth grafter.
I'm jumping to conclusions too...snakes can swim can't they?

Ireland never had snakes apparently. It's used as a metaphor for paganism. St Patrick driving the old religions out of Ireland and Christianity in.

missbettie
Mar 16th, 2009, 09:01 PM
hey wow thats interesting...

I just realized that sounded sarcastic, it wasn't! I swear, that is pretty interesting though.

BlackCats
Mar 16th, 2009, 09:04 PM
Ireland never had snakes apparently. It's used as a metaphor for paganism. St Patrick driving the old religions out of Ireland and Christianity in.

I have heard that about Paganism and snakes as well.:) I'm sure Whalespace was joking anyway.:confused:

Sorry totally off topic!

missbettie
Mar 16th, 2009, 09:06 PM
^ ya no kidding damnit give me more recipes!!! :D :p

jimmeh
Mar 16th, 2009, 09:16 PM
Well, if you don't like cabbage for colcannon, you can make champ instead. It's basically just mashed potato and spring onions (scallions)

whalespace
Mar 16th, 2009, 09:24 PM
I was mostly just mentioning the snake episode to prepare the vegan.
Sandra does recipes.
I think St. Pat took a vow of poverty... or behaved like it.

jimmeh
Mar 16th, 2009, 09:26 PM
I think St. Pat took a vow of poverty... or behaved like it.

He probably ate champ then ;)

missbettie
Mar 17th, 2009, 06:37 PM
i ended up just throwing a bunch of veggies and broth into the slow cooker...not very irish...but still...

sandra
Mar 17th, 2009, 07:18 PM
I think broth IS Irish MissBettie...............at least I'm always making it!
Hope you are having a lovely St. Patrick's day! :)

pavotrouge
Mar 17th, 2009, 09:44 PM
I had to work until just now, so now celebrating or boozing for me.

But I made soda bread and coddle, which is basically city people's Irish stew... Fatfree Vegan Blog has an awesome recipe: http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2008/03/dublin-coddle-with-vegan-irish-sausages.html

missbettie
Mar 17th, 2009, 09:51 PM
^ i think i'll try making soda bread...maybe...

when i get home my house is going to smell nummy from my stew...i think i'm going to throw baked tofu in there too...

Thnx Sandy i'll tell the boy that Sandra said its irish and he should just deal. :D