PDA

View Full Version : Tahini

zombryn
Mar 17th, 2009, 03:37 PM
Hey everyone,

Today I bought some tahini from Holland and Barrett. I want to ask if it's meant to be really runny and oily? I've never had it before so I don't know. Basically I got it home, took the lid off and the foil cover hadn't been put on properly so it was pretty much already opened. I'm wondering if whole tahini is meant to be as runny as that or if it's gone a bit weird from not being packaged properly? I tasted it and it doesn't really taste how I imagined it to...

Also, what's the difference between whole and light tahini and what do you prefer?

Thanks in advance for any help/replies.

Take care!

1gentlemaorispirit
Mar 17th, 2009, 03:44 PM
Tahini is fairly thick as a paste and has an oil on the top. This depends on the make of the Tahini.

As the foil seal is broken, I'd advise taking it back for a refund/replacement, as someone could have tampered with the contents.

I'm not keen on the light Tahini and use it in my burgers for added taste. I use it in salad dressings, hummous, chinese and cakes. :)

zombryn
Mar 17th, 2009, 03:49 PM
Hey 1gentlemaorispirit, thanks for the fast reply.

I just compared it to some tahini that a vegetarian in my house has and it's nothing like it so I'll do as you said and go to see if I can get a replacement tomorrow.

Thanks again! :D

1gentlemaorispirit
Mar 17th, 2009, 03:56 PM
You're welcome!:)

Zero
Mar 17th, 2009, 04:23 PM
I LOVE tahini! :heart:

Yes though, if the seal was broken definitely return it. Sometimes the sesame oil rests on the top, you can either take it off or stir it back in normally, but yours sounds like it might have gone bad :(

zombryn
Mar 17th, 2009, 04:27 PM
I stuck my finger into it to see if it was just oil mixed with the tahini on the top but the whole thing's pretty much a thick liquid. It'll be going back tomorrow and hopefully I'll try tahini (properly) for the first time! :P

Zero
Mar 17th, 2009, 04:35 PM
Have you tried Halva? If you haven't definitely do! :D

(Just watch out for the ingredients as some of them contain honey)

zombryn
Mar 17th, 2009, 04:38 PM
No I haven't but I'll keep an eye out for some tomorrow! :) What does it taste like?

1gentlemaorispirit
Mar 17th, 2009, 04:48 PM
Have you tried Halva? If you haven't definitely do! :D

(Just watch out for the ingredients as some of them contain honey)

I love Halva with Pistachio nuts. *salivates* I'm going to Sainsbury's in a few, will see if they have any.

cedarblue
Mar 17th, 2009, 04:56 PM
tahini = :hmm:

halva = :thumbsup:

Quantum Mechanic
Mar 18th, 2009, 09:56 AM
I like tahini! It's especially good, when as a lemon-tahini dressing.

Korn
Mar 18th, 2009, 10:09 AM
I want to ask if it's meant to be really runny and oily?

Some tahini - normally the lighter colored tahini made in Middle Eastern countries (that's the tahini normally used for making hummus) is much less firm than the one often found in Western health food stores.

If it's oily, you could stir it a little, so the oil and the actual tahini is mixed together again. They are oily at the top first time you open the jar - just like some hazel nut spreads.

There a many tahini manufacturers out there. Lebanese tahini tastes better than Turkish tahini, at least when comparing the types that are available round here.

Check this page if you want to have a look at what I believe is a 'normal' tahini texture:

http://www.foodsubs.com/Nutseed.html

zombryn
Mar 18th, 2009, 03:51 PM
Thanks for that Korn! :)

I looked at the textures and the one I had was pretty much just like vegetable oil. It was like brown thin liquid in a jar. They let me replace it today so I replaced it with a jar of light tahini instead.

Thanks again for the information and the reply :)

maidenofthewell
May 17th, 2009, 05:20 PM
I love to cut a banana in half, spread it with tahini and sandwich it back together! Yum :)

beanstew
May 17th, 2009, 05:25 PM
I love tahini and halva too. I buy the dark tahini and give it a good stir before using it. I like a big dollop with lots of salad in a wrap. *drools*

fondducoeur
May 17th, 2009, 06:43 PM
I love halva so much! I haven't seen any since I moved to Pennsylvania though...
But tahini, I love mixing it with water, lemon juice, garlic powder, and salt and putting it over steamed or raw veggies (especially cauliflower and baby carrots). This sauce is also good to dip pita bread in.

Tigerlily
May 17th, 2009, 07:17 PM
Fun fact: My mother craved tahini like no tomorrow when she was pregnant with me. That might explain how a 115lbs woman could give birth to a 9lbs baby. :)

I love tahini too with lots of lemon juice. It's good in salads and as a sandwich spread. I need to start eating more of it! I love halva too. :)

beanstew
May 17th, 2009, 07:25 PM
I've just remembered about tahini dribbled over a nice hot chili. Mmmmm. And of course falafel in pitta is not complete without tahini, chili sauce and salad.

And German style rye-bread with cherry tomatoes, spring onions, mushrooms and green sweet peppers and tahini. Yum. *licks lips*

maidenofthewell
May 17th, 2009, 10:26 PM
But tahini, I love mixing it with water, lemon juice, garlic powder, and salt and putting it over steamed or raw veggies (especially cauliflower and baby carrots). .

That sounds amazing, I have some cauliflower that needs eating, I'm going to make this to go with it!

fondducoeur
May 18th, 2009, 03:14 AM
I hope you like it! I like the cauliflower steamed or raw...it's good either way.

Ruby Rose
May 18th, 2009, 01:36 PM
I bought a huge jar of Lebanese tahini from Taj in Brighton - it tastes a million, billion times better than the Cypressa brand that is usually the only brand we get in supermarkets here. Until now, I've never considered using tahini other than when making hummus... but this new one tastes so lovely, I think I might.

Halva I could eat by the slab, especially the pistachio one.

DavidT
May 18th, 2009, 03:51 PM
Any foods which might separate in storage, such as tahini, peanut butter, baked beans etc I always put them in the cupboard upside down so when I come to open them, part of the job of mixing is already done.

I must get back into tahini. Some of the combinations mentioned here are tempting.

Halva cannot be good for you - it's far too more-ish.

Windfall
Jun 12th, 2009, 12:49 PM
I love tahini, this is the sauce I usually make, it's from About

* 1/2 cup tahini (sesame seed paste)
* 3 gloves garlic, crushed
* 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
* 2 tablespoons olive oil
* 1/4 cup lemon juice
* 1 teaspoon parsley, finely chopped (optional)

Preparation:
In a food processor or mortar and pestle, combine garlic and tahini. Add kosher salt.

Remove from food processor and add olive oil and lemon juice. If too thick, add a teaspoon of warm water until desired consistency.

Mix in parsely

Serve immediately or refrigerate.

herbwormwood
Jun 12th, 2009, 05:43 PM
I bought some Lebanese tahini recently from the Brighton Grove Oriental Food Stores and it was very runny, more so than the one I was used to from the health food store. It was more like a cream than a paste.

fondducoeur
Jun 13th, 2009, 02:32 AM
I just ate some pasta with a sauce made from a can of plain tomato sauce, quite a bit of tahini (probably like a 1/3 cup) and nutritional yeast. It was tasty.