http://www.seashepherd.org/campaign-paul.html

Kevster
Jan 12th, 2007, 12:15 PM
A piece by Paul Watson just before Christmas

'Greenpeace vies for the action - and bags the profits

Paul Watson
Wednesday December 20, 2006
The Guardian

I can't go to the Greenpeace office Christmas party this year. I've written to the activist group a few times asking for it to cooperate with us to help stop the Japanese whaling fleet, but I have not received a single answer. Greenpeace International raised $103m (£53m) from its whaling campaign last year and initially said in March 2006 that it would not be returning to Antarctica. Now it says it is. [...]'

http://environment.guardian.co.uk/conservation/story/0,,1975368,00.html

RedWellies
Jan 12th, 2007, 12:26 PM
OMG. Do you think he's right?

Kevster
Jan 13th, 2007, 01:50 PM
Yeah. Greenpeace have a history of non co-operation with Sea Shepherd, last year they refused to give the co-ordinates for the Japanese fleet, when they found them. Sea Shepherds tactics have a greater chance of successfully saving some whales, whereas Greenpeace are just there to take the pictures and essentially help bankroll their future campaigns, call me cynical but like many large mainstream organisations they make a good living from environmental destruction and animal abuse. They should be trying to put themselves out of a job not floating about taking pictures of dieing whales, pictures that we've seen time and time again over the years.

It's just another case of a big organisation sweeping up donations that could go to smaller more effective ones. People buy into Greenpeace 'activism' but what is it that they're actually doing to STOP whaling, what's the plan? They're suitably vague. Just like they are on the issue of the environmental impact of animal farming which is a huge issue, but of course they wouldn't want to pursue that one.

eve
Jan 14th, 2007, 01:00 AM
You're quite right Kevster, and although I used to support G/peace some time back, but not any more. Incidentally you know Capt Watson was one of the founders of Greenpeace, but he broke loose, and thankfully so.

In fact it is questionable whether one should support these large organisations who spend so much time and energy in raising funds for their organisation.

Roxy
Jan 14th, 2007, 03:11 AM
I support them both, as I think they both have some very effective campaigns.

Yes, Sea Shepherd's whaling campaign may be more effective than Greenpeace's whaling campaign, but Greenpeace do work in lots of other areas also, where Sea Shepherd don't.

My hat goes off to both organisations.