PDA

View Full Version : Gift from London - any ideas of what a New Yorker might appreciate?

Marrers
Apr 2nd, 2009, 10:08 AM
I want to get a gift for the person who owns the apartment I'm staying in (in New York). Any suggestions or ideas of what gift from London would be appreciated? Thanks.

BTW she's not vegan.

Buddha Belly
Apr 2nd, 2009, 10:10 AM
What is the person like? Are they taditional, free-spirited, good sense of humour and how much are you looking at?

Marrers
Apr 2nd, 2009, 10:30 AM
I don't know her very well but she's very stylish (in a NY way, has all the mega fashion magazines delivered on subscription and hugely expensive designer clothes and shoes), health conscious (but I'm sure a treat wouldn't go amiss, she appreciates any vegan ice cream I leave behind in her freezer!) and her home is very neat and tidy. She goes to Thailand a lot, has a lot of Arabic and African music and has objects from her travels on display.
I think she has a reasonable sense of humour. She also has an 8 year old daughter.

Last time I bought her some Lush stuff but this time I'd like to bring something they can't get over there. So far my only thought is some nice English chocolates. I'm thinking £20-30.

Poison Ivy
Apr 2nd, 2009, 10:36 AM
If I'm giving a chocolate gift I generally go for Hotel Chocolat...not only is the chocolate lovely but everything is nicely presented too:)

Marrers
Apr 2nd, 2009, 10:42 AM
Thanks, that's a thought if they can't get it in America, although it's not actually English. I was thinking Rococo or maybe even Charbonnel & Walker.

Poison Ivy
Apr 2nd, 2009, 10:46 AM
I know they've just started doing mail order in the US, don't know if the shops have made it over though? Mmm, Charbonnel & Walker sounds nice!:)

Marrers
Apr 2nd, 2009, 10:47 AM
If I'd thought about it earlier I could have bought a box of House Of Dorchester vegan chocs in Brighton. :rolleyes:

shiny2008
Apr 2nd, 2009, 11:55 AM
Mabye nice music CDs?

mariana
Apr 2nd, 2009, 02:48 PM
Thanks, that's a thought if they can't get it in America, although it's not actually English. I was thinking Rococo or maybe even Charbonnel & Walker.
I'd go with Rococo. Yum. :D (But I am sort of in love with Rococo chocolates now.)

Buddha Belly
Apr 2nd, 2009, 02:53 PM
How about the Bouja bouja easter egg.

harpy
Apr 2nd, 2009, 03:57 PM
Too bad she isn't vegan or you could have just taken a suitcaseful of Cheezly ;)

I think chocs of some kind are a good idea; I have an American friend who always takes chocolate back for her colleagues when she visits here and it seems to go down well. As well as the ones that have been mentioned, Fresh & Wild/Wholefoods have some unusual chocolate (at least some of it European :) ).

Marrers
Apr 2nd, 2009, 06:16 PM
(But I am sort of in love with Rococo chocolates now.)
Which I think is my fault isn't it! :satisfied:

In the absence of any other ideas I think I'll go with chocs, maybe in Easter egg form for the child at least. (Cd's are hard to pick out shiny and these days you can get what you want worldwide really). I did consider some of those truffled walnuts harpy but I reckon they may have them in the US since they are branded Wholefoods.

Thanks folks! :)

Buddha Belly
Apr 2nd, 2009, 09:50 PM

In the absence of any other ideas I think I'll go with chocs, maybe in Easter egg form for the child at least. (Cd's are hard to pick out shiny and these days you can get what you want worldwide really). I did consider some of those truffled walnuts harpy but I reckon they may have them in the US since they are branded Wholefoods.

Thanks folks! :)

Get her a Robb Johnson CD!

mariana
Apr 3rd, 2009, 02:11 PM

Yes! Care to start paying for the Rococo habit you caused? :p (I'm just lucky the Rococo shops are all located pretty far away from me or I'd end up spending all my money there! :o:D)

Marrers
Apr 3rd, 2009, 02:43 PM
Ha ha! I have my own habit to feed! :D

Anyway you're obviously not too addicted as I've not noticed it migrating on to your hips! :p

Gorilla
Apr 3rd, 2009, 02:45 PM
sounds like it's a good thing i'd never heard of Rococo!

Marrers
Apr 3rd, 2009, 03:15 PM
They are very nice Gorilla! In fact I'm going to have a few right now!

Gorilla
Apr 3rd, 2009, 04:16 PM
i just looked up their website, and crikey i think they're a bit too posh for me! :p

Marrers
Apr 3rd, 2009, 04:42 PM
They are a bit pricey but if you like fondant creams in unusual flavours like geranium and lavender they are worth it. It's best to call in at a shop and buy them by weight if you're eating them yourself!

mariana
Apr 3rd, 2009, 07:50 PM
I am lucky I can't afford to eat many of them or else you would notice them migrating to my hips. :p I tend to buy them as gifts for birthdays, Christmas, Valentine's, etc...and naturally I get some for myself everytime I buy for other people (it's a wonderful excuse)! ;)

1gentlemaorispirit
Apr 3rd, 2009, 09:00 PM
They are a bit pricey but if you like fondant creams in unusual flavours like geranium and lavender they are worth it. It's best to call in at a shop and buy them by weight if you're eating them yourself!

The choocy my OH has bought me for Easter has Geranium oil with macadamia nuts. I love fondant chocs with lavender, rose, jasmine and geranium, but thay are a treat due to the cost.