PDA

View Full Version : apparently fish are different and killed by chance?

XxsarahxX
Apr 8th, 2009, 03:40 AM
i usually ignore comments on peoples facebook status and type my own response if i want, but this morning reading a "friends" status about making a mock tuna salad i came across this comment. im leaving names out for privacy reasons and i don't no this person.

"Thats just silly. Stupid vegetarian recipes mocking all the time. Um just eat the damn fish. Fish are not bred targeted animals they are caught purely on chance. Unlike abatoirs where a cows/pig/sheeps/chickens etc destiny is determined therefore a karmic cycle occurring. Fish are different. Anyway seya bye. xo"

my response was to ask the mutual friend we have what recipe did she use.
and that i didnt agree with the fish are different comment. and pointed out that the amount of fishing in our oceans is a main cause of the oceans getting destroyed to which i got back.

"Well it is different, cause its not like a fisherman can look into the sea and say "I want to kill that fish". They by chance are in the area where the fisherman are, or where the fishing line is thrown. Question Sarah....Do you drive a car, use an aircondition, use petroleum oil, use electricity? Cause that is destroying the ocean faster than we eat fish"

now by this time im highly amused and im very bored at home today so i though why not get into a discussion where two people have opinions of the opposite side.
im quite proud of my response as i am not all that good with words and writing stuff that makes sense to anyone else but those who no me.
this was my response (which i was asked a question i of course had to respond)

no i don't drive,i don't even own a car and i don't have air-conditioning, i open my windows to cool the house down. and obviously i use electricity as i'm on a computer to type this, thats right they don't look into the ocean and say ill kill that fish, they just scoop up thousands a day, along with corals and other sea creatures that are then suffocated from been out of the water, the thing is they also have factory farming for fish these days, so while yes if one person goes for a day of fishing he may or may not catch a fish,that could be put to chance.
some people chose not to eat sea food to help make there mark on destroying the oceans smaller then the average meat eater. i also think that mock recipes are written for people with allergies to certain foods not just vegans or vegetarians

i don't feel i was harsh or saying your way of life is wrong i simply like they had done passed on my opinion.

but it really annoys me sometimes when a friend is proud of something they have done and because its different you get a comment like that.
people make me sad at times

Jiffy
Apr 8th, 2009, 10:51 AM
I'm assuming that this muppet has been living under a rock or is simply thick.

The barbarity and environmental impact of intensive Trout and Salmon farming, to name but two abused species, are well documented.

KcCrash
Apr 8th, 2009, 11:24 AM
Yes^^Thick. I would apologise if I am being judgemental, but I am not sorry.

Zero
Apr 8th, 2009, 03:17 PM
Fish are farmed just like any other animal used for profit. They clearly haven't looked into Fish Farms (not that non farmed fish are okay to eat either though).

Fish Farm:
http://www.umbi.umd.edu/%7Esowers/images/aquaculture.jpg

Fish Farm Pollution:
http://www.biology.duke.edu/bio217/2005/ncm3/risks.htm

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn4156/is_20030518/ai_n12582593/

harpy
Apr 8th, 2009, 06:14 PM
If someone was going to fry me and eat me with chips I wouldn't much care whether they picked me out personally or just caught me by chance - it would be an equally undesirable outcome either way.

matt35mm
Apr 8th, 2009, 08:49 PM
The friend makes something approaching a good point, and does well to note the tragedy of the completely determined fate that cows, chickens, pigs and the like have to suffer. But fishing is a hugely destructive act, in which nets are used to sweep whole parts of the ocean. Indeed, chance plays more of a part in fishing than in the slaughterhouses, in that seaturtles and various not-commonly-eaten sea creatures are swept up and killed along with the targeted fish.

Still, it's a more sophisticated argument than the "god made animals for us to eat" variety.