PDA

View Full Version : Cultured (in vitro) meat

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5]

tombenarye1234
Nov 13th, 2009, 06:25 AM
of course today's tissue engineering is not "there yet". it's still evolving. every scientific field needs to start somewhere and throughout the years it becomes better and more suitable for industrial needs. it's like someone who saw the first guns say they will never replace bow&arrow cause they are too clumsy. that's the thing about science and engineering - it is never steady - things that sounds tough today are becoming "trivial" in 10 years. (think how would you react if you heard someone 10 years ago telling you he's gonna make a usb with 2GB, and that it'll cost 5 dollars) and in vitro meat doesnt sound impossible at all.

i'm studying so i can help with the IVM research.

edit: yey! half of my message disappeard. :) well basicly what i've written is that changing people through morality is the real fantasy, and that the thought of morality as a major way to impact the world is based on myths and lies. you can pretty much read what i said here.
http://www.whyculturedmeat.org/the_selfish_gene.php

Declan
Nov 29th, 2009, 08:22 PM
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/science/article6936352.ece

I think the omnis may think they've got us on that one. Thoughts?

leedsveg
Nov 29th, 2009, 08:56 PM
We had a similar thread only a few weeks ago, namely: Cultured (in vitro) meat

If the accompanying picture is anything to go by, the scientists have 'grown it' to look like an ordinary pig. I'm pleased to see nonetheless, that it managed to escape the lab.:D

lv

Sarabi
Nov 29th, 2009, 10:30 PM
Why don't we make in vitro human meat? Wouldn't that be healthier, since humans have all the nutrients we need?

leedsveg
Nov 29th, 2009, 10:56 PM
Why don't we make in vitro human meat? Wouldn't that be healthier, since humans have all the nutrients we need?

That would certainly take away some of my objections to lab meat. And of course, human cooked flesh tastes like pork. Just needs a little apple sauce and some roast potatoes. :)

lv

Mahk
Nov 30th, 2009, 05:12 AM
When meat starts to grow on trees then there is no longer an ethical problem with eating it. [No sentient being has suffered, been exploited, or been killed.] That's essentially what lab meat is.*

*expecting nonsensical, baseless, irrational "I'm holier than thou" rebuttal/tirade in 3, 2, 1.....
---

Why don't we make in vitro human meat? Wouldn't that be healthier, since humans have all the nutrients we need? Perhaps, but since only a small segment of the world population has a taste for human flesh, "anthrophagy" , that would be a very small market share so probably not worth developing initially for financial reasons, however if that segment was to grow then there's reason to consider it.

For all we know there may be some obscure tree slug that has the best nutritional makeup but humans don't currently eat it.
---

In China and elsewhere they serve dogs and cats as part of their diet. [graphic video (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6884232947803717439&ei=M1oTS4reNpXdlQf_o82jDg&q=eating+dogs+china&hl=en#) for those who don't believe me] Do those of you who oppose lab meat also oppose having them stop killing the 10 million dogs and cats annually and converting to lab dog/cat meat as substitutes?

leedsveg
Nov 30th, 2009, 07:42 PM
Come back Buddha Belly!:smile: Any day now someones going to pass the Soylent Green biscuits round the forum and you wouldn't want to miss out. (Or perhaps you would?)

lv

Buddha Belly
Dec 1st, 2009, 07:39 AM
Ssssshhhhh! I'm not here and I am not getting dragged back onto this cold and heartless thread.....(walks backwards slowly)

Mahk
Dec 7th, 2009, 12:37 AM
In addition to inventing new super-meat which is cholesterol free, super low in saturated fats, and carries all nutrients from A to Z, we could also create new flavors we've never experienced such as a cross between tyrannosaurus rex with Peruvian tree slug.

Cost, nutrition, and tastiness are all that matters since the ethical problem of killing has been swept from the table (no longer applies).

I can see it now, year 2050:

"Mahk, would you like some fois gras?"

" Oh no thanks, those soy based synthetic fake meats never taste very good to me."

"This is made from real bird liver."

"What? All intentional animal killing was banned a decade ago. What on Earth are you talking about?"

"It's made from cloned archeopteryx liver tissue grown in a lab."

Kimberlily1983
Oct 31st, 2010, 04:35 AM
Haha, I'm going to stir things up in here, I think. :D

Question for you: how do you guys feel about in vitro meat?

Personally, my veganism is about not contributing to animal exploitation. If genetic material can be used to create meat in the laboratory, under my own definition at least, in vitro meat is vegan. I'd have zero interest in eating it, mind you - mainly because meat is no longer food to me, also because it sounds kind of dodgy - but I wouldn't see it as un-vegan or unethical for people to consume. If no animal is being harmed or exploited, and it's not contributing to exploitation indirectly in some way, I have no problem with it.

[I apologize if this has been brought up before elsewhere - it's possible I brought it up, even. I've been away awhile and can't remember...]