PDA

View Full Version : A Man With Opinions on Food With a Face

DiaShel
Apr 16th, 2009, 01:30 PM
I Just found this NY times article I thought people might be interested.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/15/dining/15mass.html?_r=1&emc=eta1

The last paragraph makes me so :mad:

Declan
Apr 16th, 2009, 02:10 PM
I agree, it was reasonable until that bit about the pasta with cheese. If he's that weak-willed and he knows it, then he shouldn't be putting himself in a situation where he knows he'll be tempted by the fermented homogenised cow pus.

squigaletta
Apr 16th, 2009, 03:05 PM
I guess to him that experience, of a different culture with his family, it more important than his morals for two weeks. For me that's ok, it's not something I would promote but I can understand how that kind of experience is more important to him. And he doesn't say that he will happily eat those foods, but more that he can imagine a situation where he personally sees no alternative. I still liked the article, and him.

DiaShel
Apr 17th, 2009, 03:42 AM
Here's my biggest problem:
So many people have no exposure to veganism. This article was in a major newspaper. For someone that has never met a vegan or read any literature, reading this is there only bias to from an opinion. I just hate the idea of all these people getting the impression that we stop being vegan when it's inconvenient. Also that being vegan is hard because he "misses cheese" and may have to "not be vegan for two weeks"
Don't get me wrong, I have respect for everyone that takes any steps to reducing suffering whether they are vegetarian, eat only fish, are close to vegan, etc. It's just that so many will see this and get the wrong idea.