PDA

View Full Version : Spiced Chickpea and Lemon Soup

Pages : [1] 2

Troutina
Apr 23rd, 2009, 01:20 PM
This soup is YUM and only takes about 30-40 minutes to make.
These measurements make about 4 bowls.

3 cans of chickpeas
2 onions
1 carrot
2 stock cubes (2 pints of stock, roughly)
2 garlic cloves
salt
pepper
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon (ish...!) chilli powder
1 squeezed lemon
Garnish: sesame seeds and cumin seeds.

Heat oil in a deep saucepan, then cook onion and carrot until just tender.
Add garlic, salt, pepper, ground cumin and chilli powder.
Stir for a few minutes, then add chickpeas and stock until the vegetables are covered by about 3 cms.
Simmer for 30 minutes, take off the heat to cool a little, then liquidise until smooth. If it's a little thick add more stock, or maybe some oat milk, but it should be fine.
Add the lemon juice and garnish with seeds. Serve with warm crusty bread and a glass of wine.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_8ePgmodEBBg/SezWfMFJ4xI/AAAAAAAAADg/qLGTuIN7-I0/s320/Friends%26Family,+April+09.jpg

VeganMonkey
Apr 23rd, 2009, 01:33 PM
Hmm, sounds and looks good. Thanks!

missbettie
Apr 23rd, 2009, 05:16 PM
that sounds really good for some reason...i'm always pretty skeptical about adding lemon to food... is it a real prominent flavor in the soup?

Risker
Apr 24th, 2009, 01:09 AM
Lemon and chickpeas go together so well :) 3 tins of chickpeas to make 4 bowls of soup sound like massive portions though! A teaspoon of chilli sounds alot too, it must either be very mild or you must like your food very spicy.

beanstew
Apr 24th, 2009, 01:13 AM
That sounds yum, I love anything involving chickpeas. Thanks Troutina.

Enchantress
Apr 24th, 2009, 01:15 AM
Lemon and chickpeas go together so well :) 3 tins of chickpeas to make 4 bowls of soup sound like massive portions though! A teaspoon of chilli sounds alot too, it must either be very mild or you must like your food very spicy.

I don't think a teaspoon of chilli powder sounds like that much when split between four large portions. You must just be used to your super-strength home made chilli powder (you definitely would not want to use a whole teaspoon of that).

Mmm, the soup does sound good.

Troutina
Apr 24th, 2009, 10:47 AM
I like my food really spicy, but put a teaspoon (ISH!) because I'm really not sure how much I use, just chuck some in!
Because you liquidise the soup it's fairly thin- you don't want heated up houmous!
I would say for a decent sized portion between 4 and 5 bowls. Though it's so tasty I always have seconds!
And lemon gives it a really clean taste, you don't want it to be too heavy with chickpeas.

VeganMonkey
Apr 24th, 2009, 01:08 PM
I made this last night for my OH's lunch. I haven't tried it yet but he gave it a big thumbs up (lemon definately not a dominate flavour). I used just slightly under a teaspoon of chilli powder.

mariana
Apr 24th, 2009, 01:40 PM
This sounds good!!! I'm going to have to make it sometime. I'd add more like a tablespoon or two of chili powder! :p (But I like my food spicy!)

missbettie
Apr 24th, 2009, 06:40 PM
i'm going to make it sometime this weekend...it sounds oober good!! AND it will be pretty cheap too!

Troutina
Apr 25th, 2009, 09:19 AM
Oh how exciting everyone's trying the recipe!
I have a deep and true love for chickpeas, and anything related to them!

mariana
Apr 25th, 2009, 12:04 PM
Oh how exciting everyone's trying the recipe!
I have a deep and true love for chickpeas, and anything related to them!
Me too! They're so wonderful and versatile! Some weeks I have them at every meal. :)

Troutina
Apr 25th, 2009, 02:25 PM
Me too! They're so wonderful and versatile! Some weeks I have them at every meal. :)

Even BREAKFAST!?
Haven't managed that yet!

pavotrouge
Apr 25th, 2009, 03:54 PM
mashed chickpeas are a good addition to a breakfast frittata!

sound great, I think I'll try it tonight... off to buy bread and wine :)

mariana
Apr 26th, 2009, 01:22 PM
Even BREAKFAST!?
Haven't managed that yet!
Good point, I'm not sure if I managed for breakfast every day (I don't always eat breakfeast though). My grandfather sometimes eats pasta for breakfast and says he'd be happy eating it every meal for the rest of his life!

mashed chickpeas are a good addition to a breakfast frittata!

sound great, I think I'll try it tonight... off to buy bread and wine :)
Mmm, a chickpea frittata sounds good!

pavotrouge
Apr 26th, 2009, 03:17 PM
My grandfather sometimes eats pasta for breakfast and says he'd be happy eating it every meal for the rest of his life!

Italian? Though I'd be ok with that too :)

I tried the soup last night and it was mighty tasty. I'm kinda having a soup weekend... right now I'm having a bowl of sunchoke, carrot and potato soup.

Troutina
Apr 26th, 2009, 03:40 PM
Italian? Though I'd be ok with that too :)

I tried the soup last night and it was mighty tasty. I'm kinda having a soup weekend... right now I'm having a bowl of sunchoke, carrot and potato soup.

Glad you liked it!

mariana
Apr 26th, 2009, 07:57 PM
Italian?

How'd you guess? :p:D
I think I could live with that too--there are so many great variations on pasta!

fondducoeur
Apr 30th, 2009, 12:13 AM
I am making this now, while enjoying a glass of wine:)

missbettie
Jul 2nd, 2009, 09:55 PM
do you think that this would be nice to serve to omnis?

Roxy
Jul 5th, 2009, 09:44 PM
This sounds like a lovely, easy and cheap recipe! Just the type of thing that I'm looking for at the moment. Thanks for posting :)

*live*&*let*live
Jul 5th, 2009, 10:11 PM
YUM! Think I will try this during the week, will let you know what we think! :D

fondducoeur
Jul 6th, 2009, 02:57 AM
I have made this a couple of times and it's delicious. I use a whole tablespoon of chili powder though!

I don't know why omnis wouldn't like it; it's yummy and there are really no strange ingredients.

*live*&*let*live
Jul 6th, 2009, 02:04 PM
Strange = chickpeas according to my son! :D
I'm sure he would eat it though, especially as I will work my magic powers over him and transform him into...erm what I mean is I will lie and say it's something else! :D:satisfied: Then I will admit it and he will say YUCK and I will say Ahhh but you ate it though!! :devil:

Ms_Derious
Jul 6th, 2009, 02:20 PM
Strange = chickpeas according to my son! :D
I'm sure he would eat it though, especially as I will work my magic powers over him and transform him into...erm what I mean is I will lie and say it's something else! :D:satisfied: Then I will admit it and he will say YUCK and I will say Ahhh but you ate it though!! :devil:

Maybe try it with half chick peas and half some form of white bean.

Personally, I can't understand anyone not loving chick peas. They are made of pure awesome if you ask me :)