PDA

View Full Version : Alpro soon part of Unilever or Nestlé?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

applepie
Apr 28th, 2009, 05:20 PM
I hope this won't happen: http://www.flex-news-food.com/pages/23371/Belgium/nestle-unilever-reported-among-alpro-soya--bidders.html
No more Alpro for me then!

Buddha Belly
Apr 28th, 2009, 06:41 PM
That is disgusting. I really hope that does not happen. I hope they are selling Alpro and keeping Provamel as it will be so much harder to be vegan then.

Ms_Derious
Apr 28th, 2009, 08:56 PM
Oh, b***er.

First The Body Shop to L'Oreal, then Innoscent to Coke, and now possibly this.

Oh well, I only use the soy yogurt. Guess I'll either find another brand, or make my own.

bringsMore
Apr 28th, 2009, 09:11 PM
No way!
I can't think of any possible substitute to their chocolate pudding. :(
It happens to be one of my B12 sources...

Julilla
Apr 29th, 2009, 07:18 AM
That is disgusting. I really hope that does not happen. I hope they are selling Alpro and keeping Provamel as it will be so much harder to be vegan then.

As far as I know, (only german sources) they want to get rid of their whole soya foods division. :(

Enchantress
Apr 29th, 2009, 07:24 AM
As far as I Alpro only has one division, soya foods, so I doubt that can be true. It's their parent company, the Belgian Vandenmoortele Group, who are planning on selling them.

Julilla
Apr 29th, 2009, 07:32 AM
Sorry, I was unclear in my last post. I meant to say is that Vandenmoortele intends to sell its whole soya foods division, which would be Alpro and Provamel.

Troutina
Apr 29th, 2009, 11:11 AM
NO!

COFFEE!! Everywhere I buy coffee uses Alpro Soya.

applepie
Apr 29th, 2009, 11:13 AM
Time to send them a flood of angry emails. I already had a go at Innocent for betraying their supposed values. Not that they care when big money's involved...

emzy1985
May 3rd, 2009, 03:44 PM
You are having a laugh!!!!! I drink one cup of coffee a week with my friends at Costa and obviously have a soya latte with again is made with Alpro. Other than that I can live without Alpro because other brands do yoghurts and soya milk etc. Isn't Alpro owned by a dairy company anyway?

1gentlemaorispirit
May 3rd, 2009, 05:25 PM
Oh great! So even less vegan choice than before!:mad:

It's true, money is a great persuader over everything else!:(

loveganism
May 7th, 2009, 08:32 PM
If this happens, it'll be such a waste :(

I prefer Sojasun (http://en.sojasun.com/)'s (I hope they're not owned by some grubby meat company!) range of yogurts, but I've never seen their products outside independent health food shops. If this does go ahead, maybe if enough people write to the supermarkets with a list of vegan products that are safe i.e. yogurts, desserts etc, they might expand their special diet ranges?

Miss Cupcake
Jun 22nd, 2009, 06:09 PM
It seems Dean Foods has acquired Alpro & Provamel:

http://corporate.alpro.com/en/press-corner.html

I can't decide whether this is better or worse than unilever or nestle getting it. Why would a dairy company want to manufacture soya products anyway?

Gorilla
Jun 23rd, 2009, 03:49 PM
Why would a dairy company want to manufacture soya products anyway?

because it's a profitable growing market, particularly with people (non-vegans) who believe soya products to be healthfoods. i looked at the Alpro website and couldn't find the word 'vegan' on there even once.

gogs67
Jun 23rd, 2009, 04:04 PM
because it's a profitable growing market, particularly with people (non-vegans) who believe soya products to be healthfoods. i looked at the Alpro website and couldn't find the word 'vegan' on there even once.
This is why i'm never really comfortable with interlocking veganism and the whole 'health' thing!
The more they are pushed together then the more that people just look on it as some kind of wacky new health conscious diet rather then see into the ethical side which is, really, the whole point of veganism!

Conversely though, the more the word is out in public domain then the more people will come to think of it as mainstream and veganism will grow, but when you get a company like this totally turning their back on their founding market and pushing their product solely on 'health' reasons then it does piss you off!!!

Zero
Jun 23rd, 2009, 04:06 PM
The dairy free market is probably bigger than the vegan market. I used soy milk before I was even vegetarian just because I found cows milk to be disgusting even when I was a child.

I'm sure I'll still buy Alpro or Provamel. I buy Tesco soy milk now and I have no idea who makes that.

gogs67
Jun 23rd, 2009, 04:10 PM
The dairy free market is probably bigger than the vegan market. I used soy milk before I was even vegetarian just because I found cows milk to be disgusting even when I was a child.

I'm sure I'll still buy Alpro or Provamel. I buy Tesco soy milk now and I have no idea who makes that.
It's a huge market now. You only have to look at their national tv advertising campaign with not a mention of the word vegan to see they have well outgrown their initial customer base!

chico
Jun 23rd, 2009, 05:02 PM
Worst vegan-related news I've heard for a while. I suppose it won't make much difference for me anyway, as I funnily enough I never buy any of their stuff, but it sure is really revolting. I hate them.

Prawnil
Jun 23rd, 2009, 06:07 PM
I hate them.
I don't really understand. What do you know about Dean Foods', (or Vandemoortele's for that matter) practices that makes you say so?

DavidT
Jun 25th, 2009, 01:11 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dean_Foods

Zero
Jun 25th, 2009, 01:45 PM

Going back to this point, I am looking at a carton of Alpro soya milk I just purchased and it says on the side (I hadn't really noticed previously):

Produced in nut-free production unit
Suitable for Vegetarians/Vegans
Lactose and dairy free
Non GM Soya beans

So that's something I guess :)

Zero
Jun 25th, 2009, 01:59 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dean_Foods (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dean_Foods)

Dean Food's own Silk soy milk, the most popular brand of soy milk in the USA.

To me they are no different than most other multinational corporations in the food industry.

chico
Jun 29th, 2009, 09:22 AM
I don't really understand. What do you know about Dean Foods', (or Vandemoortele's for that matter) practices that makes you say so?

Why do you ask that, do you have any shares on the company? I hate Provamel/Alpro for selling themselves to a big giant corporation (as if they weren't big enough already as is), yes. When I wrote that I thought they were being sold to Nestle or Unilever, but now I know they were sold to Dean Foods, I don't hate them any less. What do I have to know about Dean Foods to hate them? The fact they're a milk and dairy company. Is that not enough to you? YES I f******* hate them.

Ms_Derious
Jun 29th, 2009, 09:55 AM
Chico, I think you need to cool your jets. Prawn was just asking. I think we all agree the way animals are treated in the dairy industry is not good, but Prawnil's question I think was to ask if there was something specific not great about their practises.

Personally, I think it's good for the diary industry to see first hand how sales of non-dairy milks etc. are taking off, so it's not really an issue for me. If it was Nestle, I might have more to say on the subject.

To my mind, veganism is a form of lived protest against the injustices perpetuated against animals, if we cloister ourselves away from the rest of the market, it doesn't really work that way. We just dissappear as a potential market, so nothing is done to attract or mainting our custom.

DavidT
Jun 29th, 2009, 10:11 AM
But Ms_Derious, there's also the danger of funds from vegans propping up the dairy industry, or even (and some people will think I'm mad to say this) a danger of the dairy industry deliberately suppressing or limiting vegan options, much in the way that the oil and automotive industries are reputed to suppress alternatives to their products.

I could easily be wrong in this case and yes, I am a bit mad.

I agree with chico - a selling-out by a previously relatively trustworthy company is more likely to be a negative move, particularly to an American company. Although I don't use soya milk I do occasionally buy their soya yoghurt. I'll think twice from now on.