PDA

View Full Version : Northeast Meetup

Pages : [1] 2 3

terem
Apr 29th, 2009, 08:48 PM
Hey everyone in the Northeast! :D

Would you all want to meet up in NYC in June? DiaShel's already on board, how about the rest of you?

We have a bunch of places to choose from, so if there are any suggestions post them here!

fondducoeur
Apr 30th, 2009, 12:24 AM
If I can make it, I will come! That sounds like fun, but I have kind of a busy summer, so let me know when you decide on a date.

DiaShel
Apr 30th, 2009, 12:32 AM
Can we do the 3rd or 4th weekend in June? I should be settled in by then!

Since it's the summer Lulu's apothecary (vegan icecream shop!) might be one thing we can do.

Thanks for starting this Terem! Great idea.

terem
Apr 30th, 2009, 12:57 AM
mmm vegan ice cream, I'm down.

I can do whatever, just need two weeks advance notice to take off from work. Fondducoeur, does the third or fourth week of June work for you?

Eat Y'self Fitter
Apr 30th, 2009, 02:49 AM
LULUS! I tried to find that this weekend but I failed. I wrote down a bunch of addresses and then promptly lost the paper so I winged it and then I got hot so then I bought beer and drank it in the park like a degenerate.

Anyway I'd be totally down for that even if I'm the only male member.

Marrers
Apr 30th, 2009, 02:55 AM
Lula's (http://www.lulassweetapothecary.com/) is not very obvious EYF, I had the address and walked past it! I'm not from NY but recently visited - just to warn you it's not very big and there is only bench seating along a shelf table on the wall and two seats at the counter, no tables to sit around. I was also expecting them to have more goodies (aside from ice cream) when I went but they only had some small peanut butter truffles and some chocolate coated pretzels. Maybe someone local should check it out and see how suitable it is.

Eat Y'self Fitter
Apr 30th, 2009, 03:03 AM
hmmm maybe I did walk by it I remembered it being in the 600s for the address but its 500 something. Damn I did walk by it I'm looking at google maps right now! The store where I bought the beer was right on the corner. Oh well theres some lovely public gardens in the neighborhood so that made up for it

Marrers
Apr 30th, 2009, 03:07 AM
Well your beer drinking was not in vain - you have researched where everyone can take the ice cream to if you can't sit in the store! ;)

terem
Apr 30th, 2009, 06:21 AM
Ohh lovely public gardens sound nice :] We can bring our icecream there, good idea!

fondducoeur
Apr 30th, 2009, 10:46 AM
I believe the 4th week works for me. I will most likely bring my vegan fiance if he's up for it. Ice cream in the gardens sounds great :)

terem
Jun 3rd, 2009, 01:28 AM
Shall we start planning which day? So those of us who don't have set schedules can make sure we get the day off! Would a weekend be better or a weekday?

DiaShel
Jun 3rd, 2009, 03:10 AM
Well I'll be work 9-5 M-F so evenings are ok but I think weekend would be better especially if people have a bit of a commute. 20/21 or 27/28 maybe?

ellaminnowpea
Jun 3rd, 2009, 04:56 PM
Oh wow! The only US meetup thread I've ever seen on VF!! And it's in my area of the country!! Unfortunately, I can't make it. :( I definitely want to see pictures, though!!

RubyDuby
Jun 3rd, 2009, 05:19 PM
I'm going to try to make this happen, but doubt we'll be able to make it. It's just far enough that we'd have to book a hotel and expenses are a bit tight right now.

We will def be coming the first week of Sept though to meet Bryzee and Joeybee.

terem
Jun 3rd, 2009, 11:43 PM
Ah that sucks ellaminnowpea! Maybe next one!

RubyDuby, I totally understand that. Although I would suggest a hostel over a hotel to save money for any trip, especially in the city.

DiaShel, I'm assuming 27/28 weekend would probably work out best since fondducoeur mentioned the 4th week of June.
I guess we just have to work out what time we'll meet! :D

Eat Y'self Fitter
Jun 5th, 2009, 04:37 AM
I'm still interested in this and rather unemployed the moment so I'm sure I could make it. I'd love to meet all of you but it seems to be a strictly female event, if you wanna keep it as a gals outing thats quite alright by me. Regardless I'm not 100% sure if I could make it. I'd bring some friends, but I have no vegans :(

Hm perhaps if I do go I'll take the train in from new haven with my bike and cycle from grand central down there.

DiaShel
Jun 5th, 2009, 04:55 AM
^ Good plan, it's only $14 which is decent for that distance on metro north. Seem to be anyway.

There are so many vegan restaurants I want to go to! How will we decide?

Eat Y'self Fitter
Jun 5th, 2009, 05:00 AM
eh I only really take the train if I travel alone. Driving ends up being cheaper, I know of a cheap garage in union square area, thats practically the same price as new havens garage and of course it doesn't take that much gas. Although I do have a habit of getting lost in yonkers on my way home. I try to avoid tolls and I always mess it up. Your town is a curse to me, its trying to suck me in.

DiaShel
Jun 5th, 2009, 03:45 PM
"lost in yonkers" tee hee. :lol:

terem
Jun 5th, 2009, 04:56 PM
No way EYF, it's an all vegan event, and who ever else you want to bring!

This (http://www.supervegan.com/r.php?id=157) looks like a good pizza place. Or we could still meet at Lula's like EYF suggested earlier. Have any other ideas DiaShel?

DiaShel
Jun 5th, 2009, 05:16 PM
That does look good Terem. I can't find Lulu's online now. Are they at all close?

terem
Jun 5th, 2009, 05:30 PM
Yes it's very close!:
Viva Herbal Natural Pizza to Lula's Sweet Apothecary (http://www.mapquest.com/maps?1c=New+York&1s=NY&1a=179+2nd+Ave&1z=10003-5752&1y=US&1l=40.730568&1g=-73.986241&1v=ADDRESS&2c=New+York&2s=NY&2a=516+E+6th+St&2z=10009-6604&2y=US&2l=40.725312&2g=-73.983584&2v=ADDRESS)

terem
Jun 5th, 2009, 05:32 PM
EYF, was Stuyvesant Square the public gardens you were talking about? That would be a nice place to eat if it was.

DiaShel
Jun 5th, 2009, 05:50 PM
well doesn't that work nicely :)

Eat Y'self Fitter
Jun 5th, 2009, 06:14 PM
not sure, they were on 6th street though. Kinda just behind apartment buildings. But I do like the idea of the pizza place.

I'm going to new york, tomorrow to go cycling with a friend, so we can cover a lot of ground perhaps we'll explore the area and or other areas, if I have time I'll make a list of areas with lots of vegan things and check them out.