PDA

View Full Version : What did you eat today? (13)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 [55] 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122

Risker
Dec 14th, 2010, 04:56 AM
http://www.veganforum.com/forums/showthread.php?3429-10-reasons-to-go-organic-(or-not-)

My opinion is that organic certification costs huge amounts of money, likely uses more animal products than non organic (blood, bone, manure and fish), opposes scientific advancement (hydroponic can't be organic), still uses pesticides and from what I've read has more chemical waste than non organic.

Back-Space
Dec 14th, 2010, 05:08 AM
http://www.veganforum.com/forums/showthread.php?3429-10-reasons-to-go-organic-(or-not-)

My opinion is that organic certification costs huge amounts of money, likely uses more animal products than non organic (blood, bone, manure and fish), opposes scientific advancement (hydroponic can't be organic), still uses pesticides and from what I've read has more chemical waste than non organic.

You're going to have to send me a link to where you're finding this information because I can't seem to find it on Google, and the thread you've listed seems to have some pretty compelling reasons to buy organic.

Risker
Dec 14th, 2010, 05:10 AM
You're going to have to send me a link to where you're finding this information because I can't seem to find it on Google, and the thread you've listed seems to have some pretty compelling reasons to buy organic.

Read all of the thread, I have several posts in there.

Try this - http://skeptoid.com/episodes/4019

Back-Space
Dec 14th, 2010, 05:36 AM
I've read through most of it, but I still fail to see where you get your facts from. You seem to have alot of opposition in that thread aswell... I notice you and Harpy going at it, but Harpy had all the sources. Sorry, I don't agree with you. Read the first post in the thread.

Just an idea for the future... ;) It's much easier to have people hear you out when you don't start on bad note. I attempted to hear your side, despite the sarcasm in your post putting me on the offensive to begin with.

Risker
Dec 14th, 2010, 05:57 AM
I do have a lot of opposition because I've dealt with organic certification boards and researched the matter thoroughly. I'm sorry if my original post sounded negative but I've got to a point where I'm sick and tired of current organic legislation being almost universally approved by vegans, veganic I totally agree with however.

Back-Space
Dec 14th, 2010, 06:04 AM
I do have a lot of opposition because I've dealt with organic certification boards and researched the matter thoroughly. I'm sorry if my original post sounded negative but I've got to a point where I'm sick and tired of current organic legislation being almost universally approved by vegans, veganic I totally agree with however.

Well I need to get some sleep, but perhaps I will look into this more thoroughly tomorrow. I also couldn't get your link open, but it may just be a safari issue.

And just out of curiosity... Do you buy nothing that's organic? Even the produce that's known for being laden with pesticides(some of them containing over 60 different pesticides)?

Risker
Dec 14th, 2010, 06:12 AM
I buy the occasional organic product, out of necessity rather than choice though, I won't pay extra for it. 60 pesticides? really? Organic farming uses pesticides too you know.

veganwitch
Dec 14th, 2010, 07:01 AM
I was so interested when you said you had onion rings. I spent atleast 20 minutes a few weeks ago thinking "I could go for some nice greasy onion rings right now

If you can't find the Ore-Ida ones, I bet you could make your own. I should take my own advice....lol. I'm sure homeade would be much healthier.

Today:

hot quinoa cereal with an organic, yellow apple diced up, raisins, walnuts, maple syrup, cinnamon, soymilk
glass of apple juice
a rather large cinnamon bun with icing
tofu scramble w/spinach, red onion, mushrooms, canadian bacun, tofutti cheese
tater tots w/ ketchup
english muffin w/ earth balance and marmalade
2 huge mugs of decaf coffee with hazelnut coconut milk creamer
1/2 muffin from WF (it wasn't very good and it has to be pretty bad for me to say that :-(. It was chocolate chip but very dry and just not very nice)
teas (black decaf, lemon throat coat echinacea, winter spice)

RubyDuby
Dec 14th, 2010, 01:36 PM
I just saw a recipe for onion rings n the ppk site.
Back-Space, do you have the veganomicon by any chance? There's an awesome recipe for chickpea noodle soup. I'll pm you the recipe.

Back-Space
Dec 14th, 2010, 05:53 PM
I buy the occasional organic product, out of necessity rather than choice though, I won't pay extra for it. 60 pesticides? really? Organic farming uses pesticides too you know.

Yeah, I just got that site open on firefox. I'll give you that, I was under the impression that no pesticides were used on organic foods. I watched a news program back home about foods that use the most amount of pesticides. http://green.yahoo.com/blog/daily_green_news/332/the-new-dirty-dozen-12-foods-to-eat-organic-and-avoid-pesticide-residue.html

If you can't find the Ore-Ida ones, I bet you could make your own. I should take my own advice....lol. I'm sure homeade would be much healthier.

I was thinking of making frizzled onions to put on top of my veggie burgers when I have people over :) Kind of the same idea.... And yeah, probably much healthier home made, but less tasty :p

I just saw a recipe for onion rings n the ppk site.
Back-Space, do you have the veganomicon by any chance? There's an awesome recipe for chickpea noodle soup. I'll pm you the recipe.

I'm not exactly sure what veganomicon is... I got the recipe, thanks :) I've got lots of stuff to make over the Christmas holiday now. Shouldn't be too hard to keep am omnivore vegan for a week :p

veganwitch
Dec 15th, 2010, 07:31 AM
hot quinoa cereal w/ yellow apple, raisins, walnuts, cinnamon, maple syrup, soymilk
english muffin with earth balance and marmalade
vegetable dumplings
"chicken" lo mein
a tangerine
baklava
potato chips w/ guacamole
teas (mayan cocoa spice, echinacea, black decaf)

RubyDuby
Dec 15th, 2010, 12:47 PM
coffee with plain Silk
lentil couscous mcdougalls soup
1 1/2 boca chicken sandwiches on ezekiel toast
4 crunchy tacos made with gimme lean beef- lettuce, onion, hot sauce

Kimberlily1983
Dec 15th, 2010, 08:27 PM
Okay, so not today, but this past weekend, I tried a few new things, while on a road trip to Ontario. :) I probably tried more than this, but this is what I remember: I had lotus for the very first time, mixed in with some Chinese veggies - very yummy! I also tried tabouleh for the first time, as well as soy protein nuggets and vegan saté at a Japanese restaurant. Mmm, me hungry now.

We bought a bunch of vegan faux meat and dairy products: salmon, shrimp, ginger and soy-peppered chicken, chicken nuggets, terrine, two kinds of vegan feta... Can't wait to try them all!

Back-Space
Dec 15th, 2010, 08:47 PM
Okay, so not today, but this past weekend, I tried a few new things, while on a road trip to Ontario. :) I probably tried more than this, but this is what I remember: I had lotus for the very first time, mixed in with some Chinese veggies - very yummy! I also tried tabouleh for the first time, as well as soy protein nuggets and vegan saté at a Japanese restaurant. Mmm, me hungry now.

We bought a bunch of vegan faux meat and dairy products: salmon, shrimp, ginger and soy-peppered chicken, chicken nuggets, terrine, two kinds of vegan feta... Can't wait to try them all!

Hey, you're back :p How'd the dinner go? Where'd you go to in Ontario?

veganwitch
Dec 16th, 2010, 07:54 AM
2 slices of oat nut toast with peanut butter
glass of apple juice
marinated portobello, sauteed and on bread with cheese and tomato
steamed asparagus w/ sun dried tomato and soy sauce marinade
potato chips
dill pickle
chocolate cream filled and frosted cupcake
teas (mayan cocoa spice and black decaf....countless cups)

TXvegan
Dec 16th, 2010, 03:45 PM
Yesterday's menu included:

Fruit - banana, navel orange, apple
Earl Grey tea
Big green salad with cucumbers, carrots, celery, tomatoes, onions, black olives, and garbanzo beans
Leftover spag
Mixed nuts

Kimberlily1983
Dec 16th, 2010, 05:48 PM
Where'd you go to in Ontario?

Well, we didn't do much in Ontario itself, actually. Just picked up speakers and an amp, and visited my partner's relatives briefly. We spent most of the time in Montreal, where we went to a Jeff Dunham show (not originally part of our plans, but we were held back by the storm and this was offered to us - show was quite funny), went to a few restaurants and had some awesome vegan food at the Hot & Spicy Restaurant (think that's what it's called). :) It wasn't a long trip - and it was longer than it was supposed to be because of the weather - but it was quite fun. The driving didn't feel as long as I expected it to... but I'm saying that as the passenger, haha.

RubyDuby
Dec 16th, 2010, 06:44 PM
coffee and mojo
split pea mcdougalls
boca chicken sandwich
salad
seitan steak and brussels sprouts

Back-Space
Dec 16th, 2010, 06:46 PM
Well, we didn't do much in Ontario itself, actually. Just picked up speakers and an amp, and visited my partner's relatives briefly. We spent most of the time in Montreal, where we went to a Jeff Dunham show (not originally part of our plans, but we were held back by the storm and this was offered to us - show was quite funny), went to a few restaurants and had some awesome vegan food at the Hot & Spicy Restaurant (think that's what it's called). :) It wasn't a long trip - and it was longer than it was supposed to be because of the weather - but it was quite fun. The driving didn't feel as long as I expected it to... but I'm saying that as the passenger, haha.

Lol :p I love Jeff Dunham. Him with Walter, and Achmed :p And Achmeds Christmas song :D

I used to live in Southern Ontario, about an hour south of Toronto. My family still lives there. I guess the 402 had some crazy traffic jams. People were leaving their cars on the highway because of all the snow. Same with in my home town, the pictures of the snow they've got are insane...

I didn't have much today. Had my morning bagel and a banana and went to my job interview. Unfortunately everyone's having problems listing jobs because the job posting said permanent, and they're considering hiring people for a month or two.... I went to the grocery store to buy some food for when my friend comes over. I got some vegan veggie burgers, and looked at the cheese. It's a good thing I read the ingredients because the third listed was casein... Why the hell did they put that in there? Omni's aren't going to eat it, and neither are vegans.... No wonder they were fully stocked :(

Kimberlily1983
Dec 17th, 2010, 04:05 AM
Lol I love Jeff Dunham. Him with Walter, and Achmed And Achmeds Christmas song

Walter and Achmed are probably my favorites, as well. Yeah, he's pretty funny.

I'd have to say my favorite comedian is probably Adam Hills; you ever see him? He's awesome, because he manages to be hilarious while at the same time being nice. Most often comedians are funny through being insensitive, etc.; not this guy. Then again, Jeff Dunham and other ventriloquists can get away with being "nice", too, since it's generally their dolls, etc. that are the mean ones, haha... so maybe that doesn't count!

I love Carlin, too, to get about as opposite from Adam Hills as you can get. And you ever see Rod Gilbert's sketch on his luggage being lost at the airport? Funnyyy. :D

I went to the grocery store to buy some food for when my friend comes over. I got some vegan veggie burgers, and looked at the cheese. It's a good thing I read the ingredients because the third listed was casein... Why the hell did they put that in there? Omni's aren't going to eat it, and neither are vegans.... No wonder they were fully stocked

Yuck, that's too bad. I can't stand when they do that... There are Veggie Patch chicken nuggets at our grocery store that I absolutely adored when I was vegetarian, and can't have now as there's egg white in them. :mad:

Back-Space
Dec 17th, 2010, 04:24 AM
Walter and Achmed are probably my favorites, as well. Yeah, he's pretty funny.

I'd have to say my favorite comedian is probably Adam Hills; you ever see him? He's awesome, because he manages to be hilarious while at the same time being nice. Most often comedians are funny through being insensitive, etc.; not this guy. Then again, Jeff Dunham and other ventriloquists can get away with being "nice", too, since it's generally their dolls, etc. that are the mean ones, haha... so maybe that doesn't count!

I love Carlin, too, to get about as opposite from Adam Hills as you can get. And you ever see Rod Gilbert's sketch on his luggage being lost at the airport? Funnyyy. :D

Yuck, that's too bad. I can't stand when they do that... There are Veggie Patch chicken nuggets at our grocery store that I absolutely adored when I was vegetarian, and can't have now as there's egg white in them. :mad:

I'll have to look some of those comedians up. I don't watch too many of them :p We just noticed Jeff Dunham a few years ago on tv and continued to watch. Then youtubed him to watch some more :D Veggie Patch is the brand we've got here aswell. I bought the Yves veggie burgers though because they're listed as being vegan. The Veggie Patch ones didn't say, and I don't know what some of the ingredients are.

Kimberlily1983
Dec 17th, 2010, 04:31 AM
Veggie Patch is the brand we've got here aswell. I bought the Yves veggie burgers though because they're listed as being vegan. The Veggie Patch ones didn't say, and I don't know what some of the ingredients are.

I think Veggie Patch's portobella burgers are vegan, but I'm not 100% sure... I don't think I've had them since going vegan... Their falafels definitely are, and are quite good. :)

We are big fans of Yves Veggie Cuisine products. Burgers, bacon, ground round, deli slices... Good stuff!

Back-Space
Dec 17th, 2010, 04:35 AM
I think Veggie Patch's portobella burgers are vegan, but I'm not 100% sure... I don't think I've had them since going vegan... Their falafels definitely are, and are quite good. :)

We are big fans of Yves Veggie Cuisine products. Burgers, bacon, ground round, deli slices... Good stuff!

Oh good :D I've been wondering how they taste because I know a few people haven't had much luck with store bought burgers. There were sausages there as well but I suppose Safeway isn't too worried about food going past its expiration date :p The best one I could find expired 3 days ago :rolleyes:

Kimberlily1983
Dec 17th, 2010, 05:17 AM
Oh good :D I've been wondering how they taste because I know a few people haven't had much luck with store bought burgers. There were sausages there as well but I suppose Safeway isn't too worried about food going past its expiration date :p The best one I could find expired 3 days ago :rolleyes:

Ugh, yeah, I've had that happen as well, with Yves Veggie Cuisine ham slices or something. We had already bought ours, opened them up and everything. We ate them anyway, and they were fine...

The Yves Veggie Cuisine Italian sausages, BTW, are nothing compared to Tofurky's Italian sausages with sun-dried tomatoes. The Yves Veggie Cuisine sausages make better hot dogs, IMO, whereas the Tofurky sausages might be my favorite meat replacement product, they're delicious.

Kimberlily1983
Dec 17th, 2010, 05:20 AM

So I guess the way this is working is that we're being friendly and speaking to each other in one thread, and being mean and nasty and not speaking to each other in another? Well, aren't we multidimensional and silly... :D