PDA

View Full Version : Vegan Succotash Recipe???

Mystic
Dec 28th, 2004, 08:14 AM
Does anyone have a recipe for vegan succotash (no soy milk please LOL :p )
I love butterbeans and I love corn - so I would love to try this dish :)

foxytina_69
Dec 28th, 2004, 08:27 AM
i found a few recipes online:

http://www.govegantexas.org/recipes/succotash.php

http://vegweb.com/recipes/beans/2903.shtml

and this i found:

BRYANNA’S SUCCOTASH
Serves 6

There are many variations on Succotash, a favorite American bean and corn dish that originated with the First Nations of the northeastern United States and southeastern Canada, the Algonquian and Iroquois tribes in particular. Modern succotash recipes often call for cream, but I prefer a version more like the original.

1 (10 oz.) pckg. frozen baby lima beans (or “sweet beans”—green soybeans)
1 (10 oz.) pckg. frozen whole small green beans
2 c. fresh or frozen corn kernels
1 and 1/2 c. light vegetable broth
1 c. chopped green onions
1 green bell pepper, seeded and diced
1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
1 tsp. cornstarch dissolved in 1 T. cold water
salt and freshly-ground black pepper to taste

Place the lima beans, green beans and corn in a medium saucepan with the broth. Bring to a boil, covered. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 10 minutes. Add the green onions and peppers and simmer 5 minutes more. Remove the cover and cook over high heat for 4-5 minutes, or until the liquid is reduced to about 1/2 c. Stir in the dissolved cornstarch and stir until it thickens and clears. Taste for salt and pepper and serve immediately.

feline01
Dec 28th, 2004, 04:13 PM
I've never had succotash with cream, even in my pre-vegan days. Maybe it's a geographical thing. I would think that if it is following Native American roots, then it would not have had cream or the red pepper for that matter (doubt that's native). I get frozen organic soycatash (org edamame, corn + red peppers) from a small speciality grocery chain (Trader Joe's :D ).

Mystic
Dec 29th, 2004, 04:59 AM
Thanx guys :)