PDA

View Full Version : Healthy Recipe

Frosty
May 21st, 2009, 04:05 PM
As my departments male health representative at work I have been askde to draw up a healthty recipe for inclusion on the companies intranet site. Only problem being, I tend to just throw lots of bits into a pan and cook until hot. It's usually tasty, and no doubt it is healthy, but I have no idea what I'm making :rolleyes:

Does anyone have a healthy and tasty recipe I could submit, to show people at work that eating vegan is not just hummus and celery sticks?

harpy
May 21st, 2009, 11:33 PM
I've been thinking about this, Frosty, but I'm a bit stumped because I tend not to use recipes either, and the few I do have either might not be viewed as healthy or are in the hummus-and-celery category :o How about choosing one from Cherry's www.parsleysoup.co.uk site and getting her permission to use it - she's usually helpful that way :)

I did find this one in the annals and remember that it's quite nice, but you might need to censor the gherkin in case pickled foods are viewed as unhealthy :-/

Haricot bean "goulash"

Serves 4

8 oz haricot beans, soaked overnight and then boiled 10 minutes
8 oz mushrooms, sliced
4 tsp olive oil
2 medium onions, sliced
T1 large garlic clove, crushed
1 tbsp paprika
2 tsp caraway seeds
1 tbsp tomato puree
3/4 pt stock
1 tbsp chopped parsley
1 bayleaf
2 large gherkins or small pickled cucumbers

Fry onions and garlic in oil, then add paprika and caraway seeds and cook
until the onions are soft. Add the tomato puree and stock. Bring to the
boil. Add beans, mushrooms, parsley and bayleaf. Cover and cook in the
oven at 325f for 2 hours or until the beans are tender. Add the sliced
gherkins about 15 minutes before the end of cooking. Serve with rice.

Frosty
May 22nd, 2009, 02:28 PM
Thanks for the info, Harpy :) That recipe looks reet tasty as well, might give it a bash sometime. I'll say it was my own recipe though ;) haha.

harpy
May 22nd, 2009, 05:37 PM
Yes, it is tasty - I must make it again.

I think I got it from a friend in Wigan but I'm sure she didn't make it up so it's yours as much as it's anybody's :D

ETA what else does being a male health rep involve, if it's not a rude answer?

Roxy
May 28th, 2009, 07:22 PM
That sounds like a nice recipe, Harpy :) And because I have most of the ingredients on hand, it should be a nice cheap recipe too! Thanks for posting.

Cherry
May 28th, 2009, 10:24 PM
How about choosing one from Cherry's www.parsleysoup.co.uk site and getting her permission to use it - she's usually helpful that way :)

:) Thanks Harpy. I'm ALWAYS helpful that way :D I'm not sure any of mine would be good enough (healthy AND meat-eater converting). Maybe lentil curry or beanburgers or something. http://www.parsleysoup.co.uk

Roxy
May 29th, 2009, 05:48 PM
Sue's Curry looks wonderful, Cherry!

Frosty
Jun 8th, 2009, 06:31 PM
ETA what else does being a male health rep involve, if it's not a rude answer?

Sorry for the delay, bewen without internet at home...

I have to try and encourage people from my department within the council(ICT) to get off their bums away from their computers and get healthy. This involves food, excercise, their worklife and day to day living. I have helped put on an event this month for men only, with info about local gyms, different ways of losing weight and getting healthy (me preaching my veganism me thinks :thumbsup:), and some other bits. It's something the government is putting together with the NHS. Our site is here (http://education.staffordshire.gov.uk/StaffRoom/change4life/), and the NHS site is here (http://www.nhs.uk/Change4Life/Pages/default.aspx?gclid=CMPkh7eZ-5oCFd4B4wodN0f2eg); if you want to know any more :)

harpy
Jun 8th, 2009, 06:33 PM
I have to try and encourage people from my department within the council(ICT) to get off their bums away from their computers and get healthy. This involves food, excercise, their worklife and day to day living.

That sounds a very good scheme - I'll look at the websites. Do people take much notice?

Perhaps I need a male health rep for my home office, to encourage me to get off my bum :)

Frosty
Jun 8th, 2009, 06:42 PM
The men certainly don't seem to, to be honest. I have had hardly any feedback or response from anyone within my dept. The people leading the programme, who are all women from what I've gathered, have been thankful for my input thoug, and have put some of my ideas on the internet and intranet pages. Not sure I'm goping to get any of my departments males to turn up on the 'men's day' this month though.

Cherry
Jun 8th, 2009, 07:29 PM
Sue's Curry looks wonderful, Cherry!

Thanks Roxy...though I don't get the credit for the recipe or the photo :D I got to eat it though, and it was fab. My half-sis is a very good cook.

Daffodil
Jun 9th, 2009, 01:23 PM
I tend to just throw lots of bits into a pan and cook until hot. It's usually tasty, and no doubt it is healthy, but I have no idea what I'm making :rolleyes:

lol, also MY style of cooking :D