PDA

View Full Version : The Vegan Cook's Bible by Pat Crocker

Verencemos
Jun 1st, 2009, 03:38 PM
Just bought this, having browsed through it in a bookshop. I am so disappointed; I wish I had looked more carefully.
Despite the title, the author is not a vegan, and in her various recommendations, she keeps mentioning fish! What kind of vegan bible is that?
Other than that I suppose the recipes and nutritional info look ok, but I feel you can't have a vegan book that recommends fish - its just completely missing the point.

Risker
Jun 1st, 2009, 04:05 PM
Can you not take it back?

harpy
Jun 1st, 2009, 04:33 PM
Seems to be in breach of the trade descriptions act! Maybe you could write a review on Amazon to warn other people? And, as Risker says, see if you can get your money back if you want.

DavidT
Jun 2nd, 2009, 01:06 PM
That sounds crazy! With a title like that, recommending fish? What's going on? Good luck getting your money back. You should, you really should - and you should recommend that the bookshop returns all copies as flawed. You might just educate someone!

harpy
Jun 2nd, 2009, 01:17 PM
I see some reviewers on amazon.com have already taken issue with this aspect of the book, but no-one has on amazon.co.uk yet.

BlackCats
Jun 2nd, 2009, 01:25 PM
That's really annoying for you Verencemos.

I got a recipe book out of the library the other day called "The Vegan Diet" by David Scott and there are a few recipes that use honey.:rollseyes_ani:

Verencemos
Jun 2nd, 2009, 02:58 PM
I will see if they will take it back without the receipt. I have also found the author thinks one must combine grains and pulses to get a complete protein, which I think is pretty old fashioned thinking now.
I might screw up my courage and let Waterstones know the book is flawed. Will certainly report it on amazon - good idea.
Thanks for the feedback
V

Kitteh
Jun 10th, 2009, 05:18 AM
Definitely try and return the book and write to the publishers. This has been mentioned on two blogs that I know of, My Face is on Fire (http://my-face-is-on-fire.blogspot.com/2009/06/new-vegan-cookbook-just-not-really.html) and Super Vegan (http://supervegan.com/blog/entry.php?id=1284).

I don't get why an omni would bother to write a vegan cookbook and then suggest fish and honey, does she not get what vegan means? There are plenty of better and real vegan cookbooks out there for us to buy.