PDA

View Full Version : amazing veg!!

rainleaf
Jun 1st, 2009, 06:40 PM
I was in a korean restaurant today, and ordered a dish made of wild "fiddle head ferns" (go-sa-ri bok-kum in korean), I guess it som kind of fern.... (it was just the tops, so there were tender)
Do you know if there is something similar that is edible in western countries? Do you know of any "wild plant recipe"? ferns or other plants?....

harpy
Jun 2nd, 2009, 09:55 AM
I have heard of these but never had them - there is a wikipedia entry all about them http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiddlehead_fern What did they taste like?

There are quite a few wild plants that people eat here in the UK. Nettle tops and wild garlic seem to be trendy but I think it is a bit late in the season for those. Then there's mushrooms...

Obviously identifying the plants correctly is pretty important so as not to get poisoned. Maybe you could find a "wild food" book for the country you're in?

Gorilla
Jun 2nd, 2009, 03:43 PM
i had fiddlehead ferns in a Japanese restaurant in New York. :) they were good. i'm not sure where they sourced them from but i think they're quite a delicacy. i remember seeing some for sale in a market in Vancouver too. i don't remember ever seeing any for sale in the UK.

eta they tasted like green veg, not all that distinctive i didn't think but nice anyway.