PDA

View Full Version : New Redwood Gourmet Burgers and Hot Dogs!

bignige
Jun 22nd, 2009, 01:59 PM
Popped in to my local Holland & Barrett & bought home some new Redwood Gourmet Burgers. A bit pricey at £2.49 for 2 but extremely delicious! I wrapped one in tin foil & baked for 20 mins.
I've not opened the Hot Dogs yet!

Mr Flibble
Jun 22nd, 2009, 02:05 PM
Their burgers are very good bbq'd. Have had them a couple of times now.

Spud Addict
Jun 22nd, 2009, 05:46 PM
I have to be honest, I didn't go a lot on the burgers. I much prefer Fry's. Definitely nice that they're bringing out new stuff though :)

Ms_Derious
Jun 22nd, 2009, 08:16 PM
Oooh, I like hot dogs, and lots of the veggie brands contain eggs, so this is good news. Been missing my unhealthy snacks!

bignige
Jun 23rd, 2009, 11:56 AM
Oooh, I like hot dogs, and lots of the veggie brands contain eggs, so this is good news. Been missing my unhealthy snacks!

Talfun Tofu-Wieners (Holland & Barrett, Waitrose & local health food shops) are probably the don of Hot Dogs, twice the size of most and they taste so good in a roll with fried onions, ketchup & english mustard! I got me a hankering!
They really need to be selling more of this stuff in the UK! The slices and slicing sausage looks amazing!! http://taifun-tofu.de/en/

Stu
Jun 23rd, 2009, 09:17 PM
Hot dang, I was in H&B today. Ah well, I suppose I'll just have to go back.

Kate1978
Jun 23rd, 2009, 09:30 PM
I haven't tried any of the Fry's stuff yet or Redwood gourmet, but have seen it in the local health food shop.

Might get some when I next go shopping, but it's Eat Up Week here (means I am trying to last out until payday without doing a grocery shop by living out of the freezer and cupboards!). :D

Gorilla
Jun 29th, 2009, 01:17 PM
i haven't seen the hot dogs but i've bought the burgers a couple of times. they're nice but a bit samey. i see they've also brought out 'pork style' sausages which are very similar to the sage & marjoram ones with slightly different spices but you only get four in a pack.

harpy
Jun 29th, 2009, 01:34 PM
We tried the burgers the other night - I didn't think they were anything to write home about TBH but I was glad I'd bought them because our vegetable delivery hadn't arrived so it was that or nothing! They would probably be fine if you had plenty of salad etc to stuff into the bun with them, and some mustard or chutney (we did have that).

I really prefer the kind of burgers that are made out of compacted vegetables, like those Firefly ones you used to be able to get? Do those still exist? Presumably that kind are fairly easy to make from scratch.

Zero
Jun 29th, 2009, 02:29 PM
I think the burgers are really nice especially considering that they are wheat and gluten free, most of these kinds of burgers are heavily reliant on wheat gluten.

Harpy, do you mean Dragonfly burgers? If so they are still around in many health food stores :)

harpy
Jun 29th, 2009, 04:09 PM
Yes, Dragonfly - that's it, thank you Zero. They seem to have vanished from our local healthfood shops along with much else (including silken tofu now :mad: ). I see Goodness Direct do them though so I might order some stuff from them, although a heatwave doesn't seem the ideal time for ordering chilled food for delivery.

Ms_Derious
Jun 29th, 2009, 07:23 PM
Yes, Dragonfly - that's it, thank you Zero. They seem to have vanished from our local healthfood shops along with much else (including silken tofu now :mad: ). I see Goodness Direct do them though so I might order some stuff from them, although a heatwave doesn't seem the ideal time for ordering chilled food for delivery.

Where in the UK are you Harpy?

I know of a few places that sell them on the Bucks/Oxfordshire border.

harpy
Jun 29th, 2009, 08:35 PM
Thanks, Ms Derious, I'm in SW London. I'm sure I could get them if I shifted my @rse (even just to some other part of SW London :o ). The health food shops in our local high st are a bit of a washout these days, though - too many supplements and not enough grub.

alisont
Jun 29th, 2009, 08:39 PM
I love those new Redwood burgers, not seen hot dogs yet:confused:

I also love the new Frys 'chicken' style burgers.

Mr Flibble
Jul 13th, 2009, 10:17 PM
Their burgers are very good bbq'd. Have had them a couple of times now.

I've really gone off these now. Too much of a good thing?

Ms_Derious
Jul 15th, 2009, 12:35 PM
And I've just found them in my local healthfood shop.

They were nice boiled, with caramelised onions and some burger mustard. I don't know I'll bother again because of the price of them compared to the sorts of things I normally eat, but nice as a 'now and again' thing.

*live*&*let*live
Jul 19th, 2009, 10:05 PM
I tried these Gourmet Burgers and gave the other one to my son. He liked it but I wasn't overly keen I must admit. I prefer other varieties. I must say that vegetarian burgers (such as Asda's own) are much tastier than vegan ones, I don't understand why a bit of egg and milk can make so much difference! Surely they could omit these things or replace them and use the same recipe! They were a lot cheaper too..:rolleyes:

Ms_Derious
Jul 20th, 2009, 08:17 AM
I tried these Gourmet Burgers and gave the other one to my son. He liked it but I wasn't overly keen I must admit. I prefer other varieties. I must say that vegetarian burgers (such as Asda's own) are much tastier than vegan ones, I don't understand why a bit of egg and milk can make so much difference! Surely they could omit these things or replace them and use the same recipe! They were a lot cheaper too..:rolleyes:

I think the difference is shop turnover times. If something has been sat in the freezer cabinet of the store, being kept at not very much below 0c because the door keeps being opened by shoppers, the difference between being there 1 week and 1 month is quite a lot.

TBH, I've not eaten a 'veggie burger' in probably 6 months, and the last vegan burger I bought from a shop wasn't too nice. I like my own homemade vegetable and nut patties more.... coz, yah know, I'm great ;)

*live*&*let*live
Jul 20th, 2009, 06:08 PM
These were fresh from Redwoods, not frozen. I have another packet in the freezer so they may taste better? I do have happier recollections of veggie burgers from Asda. :(
Understand what you mean tho' bout temperatures. Please can you PM me your burger recipe or post please...pretty please as you are so great n' all.....:o:satisfied:;)