PDA

View Full Version : raw vegan weight loss

Pages : [1] 2 3

rawreform
Jan 1st, 2005, 02:06 PM
Hi, I posted a notice here some time ago about my testimonial raw vegan weight loss site, but I can't find the thread now, so am writing a new post for a new year...
I overcame morbid obesity by eating a mainly raw vegan diet - I went from an all time high of 21stone, BMI 46, dress size 28, to my current healthy and happy 10stone 3lbs, BMI 22, size 10-12. My life has been completely transformed by adopting this lifestyle and I want to share this story with others who are looking for a way out of the self-destructive patterns of compulsive overeating and obesity.
You can check out my story at www.rawreform.com and let me know what you think. Today is actually the one-year anniversary of my site going online, so I'm feeling very proud and happy to spread my message - there have been some great recent updates to the page, including a before-and-after photo gallery, so please take a look.
Thanks and a happy new year to you all,
Angela.www.rawreform.com (http://www.rawreform.com)

Tigerlily
Jan 1st, 2005, 02:22 PM
...interesting. I get the feeling that this is more of an advertisement than anything...

cedarblue
Jan 1st, 2005, 02:34 PM
hi rawreform, welcome back!

the forum recently lost lots of info and korn is busy reinstating lots of old threads.

i notice that you did not regularly post here - try to spend a bit more time with us interacting and posting, letting us know about you and a bit more about your experiences - we're a friendly bunch you know! :D

we get a few folk who come on here simply to advertise their sites and then never join in, that does get up a few noses! - they seem just interested to advertise but not interact :(

looking forward to seeing some interesting posts!

cedar :)

Korn
Jan 1st, 2005, 02:42 PM
Hi Angela, your old post is now inside the Weight (http://www.veganforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=275&highlight=weight) thread...

rawreform
Jan 1st, 2005, 02:48 PM
Hi, thanks for your replies guys - and thanks for the advice Cedar - i'll try to be more in touch from now on,
Cheers, Angela.

PinkFluffyCloud
Jan 1st, 2005, 03:44 PM
Hi, Angela, I am currently aiming to go completely raw, do you mind if I PM with questions? :)

And do stick around to post here, will you? ;)

rawreform
Jan 1st, 2005, 06:28 PM
Dear Pinkfluffycloud - no problem, though it took me a while to work out what 'PM' meant...

PinkFluffyCloud
Jan 1st, 2005, 07:00 PM
TeeHee, - see, if you stayed around you would know what a PM is (wags finger at Angela!)............... ;)

PinkFluffyCloud
Jan 1st, 2005, 07:07 PM
Actually, maybe it's better for me to post my questions here (unless I think of any really personal ones!), then others who might be interested may benefit?

Right, then:
Are supplements considered 'Raw' - how are they actually made?
I have read that tap water is not considered part of a Raw lifestyle, so what is right? I hate buying bottled water due to cost and plastic packaging.
Are there any particular concerns with correct nutritional balance, especially when you can't always be too sure of the age/source of your food.
Is it easy to be 'Raw' without all the fancy equipment such as juicers and dehydrators?
I have little money and wish for a very simple, peaceful life, without whirling, whizzing kitchen equipment!

Will think of more questions, I'm sure!

rawreform
Jan 1st, 2005, 07:42 PM
Well, I don't claim to be an expert about being raw, but here are some answers for you:
about supplements - a lot of raw foodists are very against taking any supplements, as you should be able to get everything you need from your food. Well, I'd go along with that to a point, but personally, I have a seriously under-functioning thyroid and as I am off all allopathic medicine, I find it essential to supplement daily with sea kelp tablets. I also take acidophilus for stomach problems, some B vitamins sometimes and C if i'm really run down. so, from my point of view, I don't have any issue with supplemeting if I feel I need it. I imagine in America it must be possible to get hold of 'raw' supplements - I just use 'normal' stuff from health food shops.
Tap water - hmmm...well, I've managed to basically escape that issue as i live in Iceland, but whenever I am in Britain or elsewhere I do find the tap water quality just atrocious - mostly undrinkable - so, I use simple water filters there or resort to bottled water if necessary...
yes, raw foodists have many varied concerns about nutritional balance - B12 deficiency of course, but also protein issues, lack of vitamin/mineral content in supermarket fruit/veg etc. How concerned you want to be with these kinds of issues is a personal thing - I personally just try to listen to my body and give myself what feels right to eat - I feel it if there's something missing/going wrong.
equipment concerns: this has been a real issue for me too - until just this christmas, I have spent most of my time as a raw eater without a simple food processor - now we thankfully have one and my partner has also promised to make me a homemade dehydrator from the design we found on the www.sadtoraw.com site, direct link: http://www.k-clements.fsnet.co.uk/dehydrator.html - very excited about that. Until now, have just been drying things out on the radiators. We've also had a simple blender to make nut milk with that we got for about 15quid, so...basically, I haven't had much equipment all this time and have been just fine - it is after all about getting back to basics, back to a natural lifestyle of whole foods - one writer coined the phrase 'combo-abombos' for the often disastrous combinations raw foodists throw together in blenders and processors - so, maybe you're better off without one...
well, that's enough for now,
good luck.
Angela.

PinkFluffyCloud
Jan 1st, 2005, 07:56 PM
HeHe, thanks, Angela!
Annoyingly, I had a very complex do-it-all type food processor a few years ago (to make baby food with), but I threw it out after a year or so, it was so noisy, and so fiddly to get really clean! :o

I am glad to speak with you, I have asked questions of others in the past but felt that they got a little defensive. Also, I was really puzzled about why they wouldn't drink herbal tea, but would take a supplement such as a multi-vitamin, which can hardly be natural, can it? I do understand more, now, as I have been reading a lot lately. I suppose my biggest two worries are:
That I will get bored with it - but I am more sure now that I won't, as I have seen the variety of foods available.
That I don't want to join another 'minority group' - especially one that I occasionally have found a little 'elitist'. However, I suppose I may have had the same reservations about going Vegan at some point.

Right, hand on heart, my other worry is chocolate - but I did look up info on raw Cacao beans, mm, think I will order some! ;)

I couldn't get the 'food and nutrition' bit of your site (good site, btw!), your pics came up again, so excuse me if I ask anything that is already covered there. :)

rawreform
Jan 1st, 2005, 08:08 PM
hi - thanks so much for the info about the food/nutrition page - we've been fiddling with the site for days and obviously that link got messed up somehow - have fixed it now...
and don't be too worried about the chocolate situation - raw carob powder mixed in with all kinds of stuff is just brilliant...my saviour...
angela.

PinkFluffyCloud
Jan 1st, 2005, 08:29 PM
Thanks, section sorted!
I am printing off the whole food section now, to keep in a file.

This week I am finishing off some yummy things I still have left over, like Vegan Mayonnaise, cooked Homous, etc, then I plan to GO FOR IT!! Think I have all the info now! I will still have to cook for my son and husband, but only once a day so it won't be too annoying!

ConsciousCuisine
Jan 1st, 2005, 09:23 PM
[QUOTE=PinkFluffyCloud]

I am glad to speak with you, I have asked questions of others in the past but felt that they got a little defensive. Also, I was really puzzled about why they wouldn't drink herbal tea, but would take a supplement such as a multi-vitamin, which can hardly be natural, can it? QUOTE]

Niether multi-vitamin supplements nor teas (unless they are sun-teas or soaked teas) are "raw". "Natural" is another story...I do wonder why anyone would get "defensive"...it must have been because they weren't really "Raw" ???

eve
Jan 2nd, 2005, 06:46 AM
Thanks for your website info, and congratulations on an great achievement.

I must say it was surprising, though, to read that you eat honey and sometimes tuna. The foods I eat are mostly raw, though as I've not committed to a raw diet, there's not the least bit of guilt for occasionally cooking some sweet potato, and I do have the odd soy food and soy milk, and make my own homas - none of which is raw! :)

rawreform
Jan 2nd, 2005, 02:41 PM
hi Eve, thanks for your message - yes, as I say on my website, I'm not at all dogmatic about being raw and actually, I don't eat honey anymore, as I'm basically off all sugars...but my main focus is to eat as much raw as possible and listen to my body for what it needs...

MzNatural
Jan 2nd, 2005, 02:51 PM
I like your website!
So what do you consider yourself? For some reason I thought Raw foodists were vegetarian/vegan?
I eat about 50-75% raw. I have to admit I feel my best when I am raw.
I still have not made the decision to go 100% raw. I am still reading books, articles, research, etc, about it.
I have not seen any raw food bodybuilders. I think a concern of mine would be not having enough muscle mass for Figure competition.

PinkFluffyCloud
Jan 2nd, 2005, 04:29 PM
[QUOTE=PinkFluffyCloud]

I am glad to speak with you, I have asked questions of others in the past but felt that they got a little defensive. Also, I was really puzzled about why they wouldn't drink herbal tea, but would take a supplement such as a multi-vitamin, which can hardly be natural, can it? QUOTE]

Niether multi-vitamin supplements nor teas (unless they are sun-teas or soaked teas) are "raw". "Natural" is another story...I do wonder why anyone would get "defensive"...it must have been because they weren't really "Raw" ???

HeHe, no, I think it's because I ask far too many questions! :D :D

On a serious note, I began today, it's been fine but I think I really could do with a mixer, at the very least. :rolleyes:
I feel spiritually 'lighter' having made the decision! :)
Wish me luck, and I need all the advice I can get.

CC, what are Cacao beans like, do they taste chocolatey? ;)

Also, I have read somewhere that periods can stop on a Raw diet, or reduce anyway, have you found that to be true? I have been told it is because they are just unnecessary. :confused:

PinkFluffyCloud
Jan 2nd, 2005, 04:32 PM
I like your website!
So what do you consider yourself? For some reason I thought Raw foodists were vegetarian/vegan?
I eat about 50-75% raw. I have to admit I feel my best when I am raw.
I still have not made the decision to go 100% raw. I am still reading books, articles, research, etc, about it.
I have not seen any raw food bodybuilders. I think a concern of mine would be not having enough muscle mass for Figure competition.

Isn't Pat Reeves 'Raw'? (I have seen her on Vegan Bodybuilding). I may be wrong, check her out, Mz!
My main concern was protein, as I seem to feel better when I eat a lot of protein (when I am active, anyway), that's why I have started eating a lot of sprouted food now.

gertvegan
Jan 2nd, 2005, 05:21 PM
I must say it was surprising, though, to read that you eat honey and sometimes tuna.
And then.....

hi Eve, thanks for your message - yes, as I say on my website, I'm not at all dogmatic about being raw and actually, I don't eat honey anymore, as I'm basically off all sugars...but my main focus is to eat as much raw as possible and listen to my body for what it needs...

So do you still eat fish Angela ?

rawreform
Jan 2nd, 2005, 06:51 PM
Hi everyone - thanks for messages - well, in reply to Mz on what I consider myself - I consider myself to just be me - I'm not interested in labels - I believe everyone is different and you just need to listen to your own body's needs and eat what feels right - that's why I've stopped eating honey now for example, but not fish - which is something I actually never ate when growing up, but have come to have a taste for now. Most raw foodists are indeed veggie or vegan I'm sure, but it is not a prerequisite for eating more raw foods to improve your health and lose weight, which is what I went into raw foods for.
I remember meeting someone last september at the 'Festival of Life' in London who was a very healthy looking raw bodybuilder - think his name was possibly steve and he was from Bristol or somewhere over that way I think - don't have any details for him anymore - but as I recall, he had some videos or books or smthg about how to build muscle on raw... also, isn't that what a lot of Doug Graham's work is about - training athletes etc on raw? just remind yourself about gorillas - almost nothing but raw leaves and enormously powerful and strong...
and pinkfluffycloud - congratulations and best of luck for your new path. Yes, periods are indeed supposed to eventually get much lighter after a while raw, as it's another detox path for your body...
cheers,
Angela.

Gorilla
Jan 2nd, 2005, 07:11 PM
just remind yourself about gorillas - almost nothing but raw leaves and enormously powerful and strong...

ha ha, if only! ;) :D

i'm interested in raw diets but don't feel ready to make the transition to 100% raw just yet. your website is very interesting though Angela. :)

PinkFluffyCloud
Jan 2nd, 2005, 07:31 PM
Thanks, Angela, I am happy to make this decision, but tonight I am feeling a little light headed and a little 'lost', because I had to cook for the others (roast potatoes and veggie-sausages, mmm!). Mind you, my Green Salad with crushed Garlic and Lemon *was* good!. :)

I have ordered some Cacao Beans from Shazzie's site. I see that Yaoh do some raw sweet bars now, which is nice to know (I have a terrible sweet tooth at certain times of the month - mind you, maybe I won't now???). I am going to try not to buy stuff like that, I would just be swapping to more bad habits, wouldn't I? :eek:
I can justify the Cacao Beans, though, as they are full of goodness, and, kept in 'Bean' form, I reckon I can refrain from becoming addicted!! :)

More food for thought, though, part of my motivation for going 'Raw' in the first place is the need to live a 'frugal', 'simple', 'natural' life - and my own interpretation of these concepts is to live in a very plain, uncluttered manner, e.g not to rely on electrical gadgets (hmm, maybe the P.C will have to go eventually!), and to eat unmodified foods. I wonder if I would be 'cheating' my own criteria by making Almond milk, etc, in blenders?? :rolleyes:

Ha! By now anyone reading this will realise that I hate to make things too easy for myself, I like a challenge (as long as it's a positive one!), and I always like to go 'one step further' with everything! :p

ConsciousCuisine
Jan 3rd, 2005, 03:17 AM
Cacao Beans make lovely chocolates with coconut oil, dates or agave and almond butter (MMMM!)

I am proud of you, PFC! I am actually transitioning to not be 100% Raw at this time ;)Let me know if you need anything. As always, i'll give ya what I know if ya ask :)

tails4wagging
Jan 3rd, 2005, 06:12 AM
Ive looked at the website, and I do need to lose weight drastically as I am over two stone overweight.

I need to lose this by April as I am seeing a medic about breathing difficulties I am having at night and I know he will strongly advise weight loss, so I will have a go at this raw food diet. I must admit I do like raw veg, I nibble raw cabbage before I cook it and have been known to eat raw peas and their shells (home grown so no pesticides).

Any chance Angela on producing a diet sheet so I could follow it (strictly vegan though)?.