PDA

View Full Version : Goodwill

Pages : [1] 2

Lord Perennialist
Jul 4th, 2009, 02:29 PM
I have a confession to make... I purchase all my clothes at Goodwill! :D The fashion industry kinda sickens me with its emphasis on beauty and all the problems it has created among men and women whose self esteem are spiraling downwards. Plus fashion seems to conformist for my liking; being part of the crowd is not my cup of tea. Wondering if anyone else shops at Goodwill like I do. You can find great stuff there. I picked up a copy of Jon Stewarts America book for one dollar there. Any other Goodwill fans on this forum? ;)

P.S.: not everything at Goodwill is vegan. So be careful when shopping there and take some extra time to look at the tags on the clothes to determine what material they are made out of.

*live*&*let*live
Jul 4th, 2009, 03:45 PM
I love charity shopping LP! I think that's the same as goodwill in your neck of the woods! I go for a rummage every now and again, but usually pick up bits of jewellery to re-make stuff. Used to get lots of things from there but they are not as good as they used to be sadly:(

missbettie
Jul 6th, 2009, 07:08 PM
i love thrift store! cheap vintage and cute! And you're right not everything is vegan, but is there really anywhere that you purchase food or clothing from that solely has vegan products, unfortunately not likely.

but goodwill is AWESOME!!!...however our local one smells a bit like cat pee...

*live*&*let*live
Jul 6th, 2009, 07:18 PM
Hi Miss B

We recently had a docu over here about the state of our charity shops and you should have seen what people gave away! OMG they should have cringed in shame if they saw that programme. Old, grey bra's that were allegedly once white, knickers that were dirty and had sanitary wear in them, broken items, really old clothes that were neither vintage, retro or chic just plain nasty! Stuff that really should have been in the local tip. I felt sooo sorry for the ladies who volunteered there having to sort through all that, and having to mind for used needles too. :eek:

missbettie
Jul 6th, 2009, 08:16 PM
^ well there are always gross things in the second hand stores but once in a while you will find a gem. :) Also it depends on what area you go into as well, the nicer cities have nicer stores.

but i stand by what i said, they are awesome!

One of the last times i went to one i found a reall old train case in really good condition. its so adorable. :)

*live*&*let*live
Jul 6th, 2009, 08:30 PM
Oh I DO agree! I was just following on from your cat pee comment :o:eek:

PS what's a train case, as in luggage?

missbettie
Jul 6th, 2009, 09:58 PM
yup luggage :D the ladies used to take them with them for their make up and hair stuff....i just put jewlery and hair ties in mine as i don't go anywhere :D

a lot of our thrift stores are dirty and kinda spooky, but as long as you wash everything you buy (which you should do before you wear brand new clothes anyhow) it should be fine.

*live*&*let*live
Jul 7th, 2009, 01:24 AM
Ahhhh, me thinks a vanity case? :D Gotcha now! I find it kinda cute how we have different words for things :)

Gorilla
Jul 7th, 2009, 01:45 PM
i buy nearly all my clothes second-hand, some of them from charity shops. i don't care about fashion, i just buy stuff i like.

i also buy most of my books, CDs, DVDs and furniture second-hand if possible too.

charity/second-hand shops are great around here.

fiamma
Jul 7th, 2009, 04:20 PM
You are all so lucky having Goodwill/charity shops - there's nothing like it here! :sad: I go crazy in them when I'm in the US or UK.

Lord Perennialist
Jul 8th, 2009, 09:20 PM
I agree... washing is a must! But if your diligent you can find some of the most amazing thing. One day I found a board game called anti-monopoly where the goal wasn't to make money but prosecute corporations! I've had a lot of fun playing that game.

*live*&*let*live
Jul 8th, 2009, 10:03 PM
I'll bet you did LP! For some reason I knew that game would suit you! :D:devil:;)

Lord Perennialist
Jul 11th, 2009, 01:40 AM
Hehe... :), are my anarchist tendencies that obvious?

*live*&*let*live
Jul 11th, 2009, 01:50 AM
:D Just glad you took my post the way it was intended as sometimes it is very hard to gauge people's tones, inferences or mood! :rolleyes:

janetc
Jul 11th, 2009, 01:59 AM
I'm solely a thrift shop girl! I am not fashionable and I cannot see paying big bucks for something that I can pay $1 for at a thrift store!

Besides, I'm hard on clothing, shoes, etc. I don't want to spend money for something I'll tear up anyway...

Lord Perennialist
Jul 11th, 2009, 02:42 AM
:D Just glad you took my post the way it was intended as sometimes it is very hard to guage people's tones, inferences or mood! :rolleyes:

:smile: Sorry, I have a tendency to procrastinate when answering posts, or emails for that matter :rollseyes_ani: sometimes I'll go for days meaning to get around to answering an email or post but not doing it! Procrastiantion is indeed my most indulged vice. :lol:

P.S. I agree. It is hard to gauge peoples tones and moods. I think we need an extended set of smilies!

*live*&*let*live
Jul 11th, 2009, 05:52 PM
LP I don't understand why you are apologising? Please can you explain? (this is what I mean about being difficult to gauge people in cyber land!) :D

Lord Perennialist
Jul 11th, 2009, 08:17 PM
Oh, I was just saying sorry for not replying to your post for a day or two... giving you the impression that you had said something wrong. :)

*live*&*let*live
Jul 11th, 2009, 08:26 PM
O.I.C!! I getcha! Don't worry I know people have this problem called 'life' it does have a tendancy to get in the way sometimes, I have it myself!! :D

Lord Perennialist
Jul 11th, 2009, 08:44 PM
lol:lol:

*live*&*let*live
Jul 12th, 2009, 01:27 AM
:thumbsup::lol: back at ya! x

PaintedXSkyline
Jul 12th, 2009, 03:06 AM
I get a lot of my clothes at thrift stores. There are three pretty close to my house that I go to.

I think we should start posting pictures of things we find at thrift stores in here. :) Or make a thread for it.

Lord Perennialist
Jul 12th, 2009, 03:10 AM
Good idea! maybe a new thread would work better, since this one's just titles Goodwill and doesn't include all thrift stores.

PaintedXSkyline
Jul 12th, 2009, 03:37 AM
http://www.veganforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=589332#post589332
there it is :)

Gorilla
Jul 16th, 2009, 03:32 PM
^ cool thread PXS, thanks for starting it.

we've had a swap day at work, where we bring in items we don't want and for each item we bring, we can take away an item someone else has brought in.

i brought in some old videos and tapes, and i picked up two pairs of smart trousers, two books and a little plastic goat :)