PDA

View Full Version : Are there any New Zealand vegans here?

Pages : [1] 2 3

Chiaroscuro
Jul 8th, 2009, 04:06 AM
I recently changed to a vegan lifestyle and I am loving it and will never go back. However I don't know any other vegans at all - not that it is a problem but it would be nice. Any New Zealand vegans on this board?:)

jodyk
Jul 8th, 2009, 04:13 AM
Yep there's some around. If you go to the "Is it easy to be vegan in NZ" thread you will find some NZ conversation. Pretty quiet at the moment but things could revive I guess!

Chiaroscuro
Jul 8th, 2009, 05:16 AM
Thanks Jody. I see you are from Auckland. I'm from Christchurch but moving to Auckland next year. Any recommendations for suburbs? I'm not that familiar with Auckland but I'm thinking that North Shore city seems quite nice in parts and I like the idea of a place with a bit of a greenie, arty vibe and vegan-friendly! And good schools - I have a six year old.

jodyk
Jul 8th, 2009, 10:04 AM
There are lots of great places to live in Auckland - North Shore would be nice (and beachy) so long as you don't have to come across the bridge everyday - traffic is really unpleasant! Auckland is so sprawly it's best to live as near to the things you do as possible. An excellent location would be Grey Lynn / Ponsonby - Harvest Wholefoods and SAFE shop nearby, as well as some cafes with vegan food :)

I don't know much about schools sorry. I think there might be some groups with kids that meet up in Auckland? I have met a few lovely and friendly people around the place, but don't know anyone vegan well (yet!). Christchurch is has a very strong vegan community doesn't it?

jessica*
Jul 8th, 2009, 11:39 PM
Sorry to crash the thread, but JodyK, while you're talking about Auckland, I will be flying up to North Shore for the weekend later this month, and will be busy at the conference center the entire time. Hotel room has a small kitchen.

Do you know if there are any places in Takapuna where I could pick up a bite to eat on the run, or could grab some groceries at the end of the day? With almost no free time, a cafe or something ready-made would be best. Thanks for any advice if you see this in time.

And hi to Chiarascuro! :)

Chiaroscuro
Jul 9th, 2009, 01:31 AM
Hi! I'm new both to the vegan lifestyle and to this board, so I don't know if there is a strong vegan community in Christchurch. I hope so though! Although I'll only be here for another six months.

Most of the people in my life think I'm a bit strange for going vegan - I've had the 'If apples had feelings would you stop eating those too?' and 'It won't make any difference to the world', types of comments, but they are still supportive of me in the way you are supportive of someone you care about but don't really 'get'.

I'm not judging them - I used to think vegans were weird and extreme as well and thought I was doing great being a vegetarian/pescitarian - until I learned about the reality of the dairy, free range egg, and seafood industries. However it would be great to get to know some other like minded vegans, even if just online. This site is really great for cementing my decision.

Chiaroscuro
Jul 9th, 2009, 01:36 AM
Jody - luckily I wouldn't need to worry about traffic. I'm a self-employed designer and artist, so work from home. It's great! But it is super important to me to be in a congenial area as it is where I am all day. Thanks for the recommendations - I love Grey Lynn and Ponsonby, although they may be a bit out of my price range at this stage. I'm prepared to pay up to $400 per week to rent a two bedroom place, but I have a feeling those suburbs might be more expensive than that?

jessica*
Jul 9th, 2009, 05:13 AM
Chiaroscuro - Welcome!! :D It is nice to find fellow vegans online, isn't it.

I connect with other kiwi vegans here and with vegans in general on twitter (some great news and links believe it or not) and on livejournal's vegan people group (http://community.livejournal.com/veganpeople/).

I've met a few vegans through SAFE appeals and a trip to Wellington where I attended a Veg Society mtg, but the web is great for sitting down with a cup of coffee and reading some vegan news or finding new recipes or links. It also makes you realize you're not at all alone. Counteracts those messages we can get from others that we're weird. (I can't figure what's so weird about compassion, but I do remember when I too thought vegans were a bit extreme. :o)

I went vegan as you did. Once I read up about the dairy and egg industries I never looked back, and it's been one of the best choices I ever made. I thought it would be a sacrifice, but instead it's been easy and a joy.

Chiaroscuro
Jul 9th, 2009, 08:32 AM
I've found it surprisingly easy as well. The only area it gets a bit tricky seems to be eating out, but I don't do that a lot anyway.

Luckily I enjoy cooking and experimenting in the kitchen and most of the vegan recipes I've made have been very yummy and nutritious. I've found one of the keys to eating vegan is to keep a well stocked pantry so there is always something on hand. I really don't miss dairy at all. And I have so much more energy and feel so much better.

jodyk
Jul 9th, 2009, 09:13 PM
My knowledge of Takapuna is quite limited Jessica, but I do know there's a fatimas there (http://www.fatimas.co.nz/) and I think they can do vegan stuff by ditching yogurt etc. There is one up the road from me, but I haven't been there since veganism. They were good for vegetarian food though. Also Burger Fuel is in Takapuna and they have a vegan burger. Both would be quick and easy. I think there must be a supermarket in Takapuna too. Hope you have a good weekend there - it is a nice place.

And back to housing Chiaroscuro, yes, I think Ponsonby Grey Lynn are pretty expensive :( You can always find excuses to pass through the area and stop at SAFE, Revel (cafe), Harvest Wholefoods, and Victoria Park New World (best supermarket in the country in my opinion!).

jessica*
Jul 9th, 2009, 10:09 PM
Thanks JodyK - great quick options! :)

Chiaroscuro
Jul 16th, 2009, 10:22 AM
This is a really nice site. I've been on the TradeMe message boards recently and I cannot believe the level of nastiness that goes on there........sigh......so good to be back somewhere where having a difference of opinion doesn't automatically lead to name calling.

Aims
Aug 21st, 2009, 10:50 PM
Hi Chiaroscuro - congrats on the switch to vegan :)

I'm also in Auckland but like Jody don't really know any vegans in person around here.. I remember even when I first went vegetarian looking for message boards or sites with kiwis on it but they were all totally dead - still are, but at least there's a few of us here.

I don't have any good Aucklandy advice because I live South/Eastish Akl and feel very far removed from all the good places to eat and shop when it comes to vegan stuff. I'm really overdue for a trip out to the SAFE shop on K Rd (still haven't tried that fake parmesan! haha). But yeah there are quite a few yummy places to eat in town, I've only tried a few but hear there's a good curry place on K Rd and a cafe that sells vegan muffins? is it Verona?

Ew and I've heard the Trade Me boards are quite nasty. People here are nice!

Chiaroscuro
Aug 22nd, 2009, 04:33 AM
Oh yeah I was on the TM boards a while back on a thread debating whether milk was a good thing or not (you can probably guess which side I was on). Anyway virtually all the pro-milk people thought a fantastic argument was "Stupid blardy townies".

Um...ok.....that convinced me.

Aims
Aug 22nd, 2009, 09:35 AM
Oh that's so depressing.

Random happy thing: stumbled upon vegan white chocolate at Pak N Save of all places today. In the long run this could be a very dangerous thing, but oh well.

fftradio
Aug 22nd, 2009, 10:26 PM
Hi Guys, I'm from NZ too, Hamilton to be more exact

charmed_phi
Aug 23rd, 2009, 04:54 AM
Hay im from New Zealand to, Rotorua.
Countdown has some yum vegan food, frys burger patties and sausages. they have pasta, pre made falafel and heaps more. i think the brand is orgran. (although i may have spelt it wrong) They also have yummy white and dark chocolate. :)

Aims
Aug 23rd, 2009, 06:51 AM
Yay for new kiwi members - welcome to the forum :)

It sounds like that Orgran range is getting into a lot of supermarkets now, which is great. I like their gluten free breadcrumbs (it's surprisingly difficult to find good vegan breadcrumbs!!).

HanNZ
Aug 23rd, 2009, 10:39 AM
Hi,I am in Wellington. Back in feb I did a vegan triathlon in christchurch so I know there is quite a community of vegans there. The christchurch vegetarian societly you could get in touch with as many of them are vegan and i think they hold regular meals out etc. There is also the vegetarian festival/expo in chch coming up (but the food will be vegan), I decided against flying over for it though and will just attend the one in wellington.Hope you get to meet some others for the rest of your time there.

shanny89
Oct 31st, 2009, 08:08 AM
heya,
I'm in Takapuna and have found there are quite a few vegan options at the foodtown near by, also the burgerfuel is a definite must try with their vegan options!!

andrewNZ
Nov 3rd, 2009, 08:58 PM
Hay im from New Zealand to, Rotorua.
Countdown has some yum vegan food, frys burger patties and sausages. they have pasta, pre made falafel and heaps more. i think the brand is orgran. (although i may have spelt it wrong) They also have yummy white and dark chocolate. :)

I'm from Rotorua too! Wouldn't have thought I'd ever meet another on here, there sure aren't many of us around :)

There's not a lot of vegan stuff round here. I can't even find a source of organic veges :(

NZVeganPodcast
Nov 6th, 2009, 09:33 AM
Hi I am from New Zealand and I am a vegan. I live in Auckland. Hi Sam! (fftradio) good to see you on here. From Elizabeth
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PccYpRahpJ8

clare155
Nov 7th, 2009, 02:18 PM
Hi all the NZ vegans!

Im thinking of coming over to NZ next year on the 2 year Working Holiday Scheme :) I havent done too much research yet about being a vegan over there, so I thought I should ask your opinions on where you think is a good option? Of course Id love to do lots of travelling around, but would need to base myself here and there to work...

Another thing, it would be great to meet up with some of you while Im over there so if anyone is interested in being a tour guide to their town, that would be lovely :D

I know this thread is a bit quiet at times, but theres no rush! :thumbsup:

Thanks
Clare

shanny89
Nov 8th, 2009, 11:42 PM
Hi clare =]
Awesome to hear your coming over. I live in Auckland and would be keen to meet up at some point. I'm on the northshore of auckland in Takapuna by the beaches, it will be lovely in summer!!

Shan :)

clare155
Nov 9th, 2009, 07:08 PM
Hi Shanny, thanks for your reply! It would be great to come and meet up with you! You lucky thing living by the sea :D
Am I right in thinking that Auckland is a pretty good place to be a vegan? Are there many places to eat out? :) x