PDA

View Full Version : mushroom recipe

maidenofthewell
Jul 8th, 2009, 09:58 PM
I'm a big lover of mushrooms but my boyfriend hates them so don't have them as often as i would like. But he's going away this weekend so I was thinking I'd make myself some kind of mushroom dish, does anyone have any good wheat-free, wholefood recipes, with a fairly simple list of ingredients (I found a tasty looking mushroom stroganoff one but it had too many things I would buy in and only use once) I need inspiration!! (The more mushroomy the better!)

harpy
Jul 8th, 2009, 10:34 PM
Baked stuffed ones are good and you can stuff them with virtually anything. I sometimes use a mixture of chopped almonds or cashews, garlic, parsley, ginger and spring onions for a slightly oriental effect.

I'm afraid I don't have an actual recipe but you start with open mushrooms (big ones for an extra mushroomy flavour), which you just wipe. Remove the stalks and chop them up with the other stuffing ingredients. Put the mushroom caps, gills up (obviously!), on an oven-proof dish. Pile the stuffing on to the caps. Slosh the whole thing with a mixture of sherry, soy sauce and oil. Then bake for 20 mins or so at about 200c until the mushrooms are tender.

You can have them with rice, or just a green salad. There should be some juice in the baking dish so spoon it on top.

*live*&*let*live
Jul 8th, 2009, 10:45 PM
mmmhhh think I will try that too! Cheers Harpy! x :smile:

harpy
Jul 8th, 2009, 10:49 PM
If you do, l&ll, perhaps you could measure the ingredients and tell us how much to use ;) I'm on the "handful of this, handful of that" system I'm afraid :o

*live*&*let*live
Jul 8th, 2009, 10:53 PM
With this recipe though I think you can get away with it, it's not like it has to rise or anything!! I will make a note though. :smile:

Maiden how about a mushroom risotto? (I love the way american's say risotto!) I've never made one, just bought some rice so was going to have a go this month. Apparently there is a knack to getting the texture just right. Anyone have any pointers please pm me!

Roxy
Jul 9th, 2009, 06:01 PM
We've also stuffed them with avocado, which is soooo nice and creamy, especially after it's been baked in the oven. Before baking, top with a mixture of garlic, breadcrumbs, parsley and vegan cheese :) Mmmmm!

Baked stuffed ones are good and you can stuff them with virtually anything. I sometimes use a mixture of chopped almonds or cashews, garlic, parsley, ginger and spring onions for a slightly oriental effect.

I'm afraid I don't have an actual recipe but you start with open mushrooms (big ones for an extra mushroomy flavour), which you just wipe. Remove the stalks and chop them up with the other stuffing ingredients. Put the mushroom caps, gills up (obviously!), on an oven-proof dish. Pile the stuffing on to the caps. Slosh the whole thing with a mixture of sherry, soy sauce and oil. Then bake for 20 mins or so at about 200c until the mushrooms are tender.

You can have them with rice, or just a green salad. There should be some juice in the baking dish so spoon it on top.

Red Lion
Jul 9th, 2009, 06:08 PM
I used to eat a lot of mushrooms,until I started to think what they tasted
like.To me now,they taste like dried flesh,sort of cardboard pork.Old mushroom ain't no fun guy any more for me.In fact I'm going off root
vegetables too.

fiamma
Jul 9th, 2009, 06:14 PM
^ Sorry to hear that, RL. I love them baked and stuffed too - I use a mixture of chopped peppers and zucchini, rolled oats, a bit of lemon juice, soy sauce and a herb I can't remember - thyme maybe? Very yummy indeed :)

Roxy
Jul 9th, 2009, 06:20 PM
Rolled oats....I would never have thought to use that! Good idea fiamma. Do you just use them raw?

fiamma
Jul 9th, 2009, 06:21 PM
No, I brown them in a pan with the veggies. The recipe comes from the book Vegan by Tony Weston. I'll PM you the recipe if u like :)

maidenofthewell
Jul 9th, 2009, 11:38 PM
Oh yum I'm definitely having stuffed mushrooms this weekend! I have cashews too which sounds like an amazing topping :D

harpy
Jul 10th, 2009, 12:29 AM
To me now,they taste like dried flesh,sort of cardboard pork

:eek: Are you sure these are mushrooms you're buying? ;)

Actually I think I may know what you mean, as I often don't fancy the large strongly flavoured ones as much as I did. The smaller ones don't have such a domineering flavour though.

Hope you enjoy your mushroom orgy, maidenofthewell. While the cat's away etc.

fiamma
Jul 10th, 2009, 12:49 PM
I like them scrambled with tofu - an alternative you might want to consider. Chop the mushies and brown them in a little oil, add mashed firm tofu, or the silken kind if you prefer, plus a bit of turmeric for colour and soy sauce for flavour. Quick, simple and very tasty :thumbsup:

Mr Flibble
Jul 10th, 2009, 03:57 PM
I found a tasty looking mushroom stroganoff one but it had too many things I would buy in and only use once

You can make perfectly good stroganoff from mushrooms, onion, garlic, oil, veg stock, sherry (optional but nicer with), soy sauce, salt, pepper and soya cream.

fiamma
Jul 10th, 2009, 05:59 PM
Today I chopped up some mushrooms and cooked them in a frying pan for about 5 mins, then added some ready-made spelt (can you get those packets of ready made grains where you are? If not, just cook your favourite grain and add that in), together with a bit of soy sauce, thyme and a squeeze of lemon juice. It was really delicious, plus The Boyfriend liked it a lot :)

maidenofthewell
Jul 10th, 2009, 06:35 PM
Mmmm now i have too many options and not enough meals in a day lol! Perhaps my other half will have to learn to cook for himself so I can eat mushrooms allll the time

*live*&*let*live
Jul 11th, 2009, 06:03 PM
Thanks MR F, for the reminder about stroganoff, will be doing it tonight. But using brandy instead of sherry? Hope that is ok! :)