PDA

View Full Version : milk

gyp5ym00n
Jul 9th, 2009, 05:58 AM
Looking for input on milk. I don't like soy milk and I don't like rice milk. Only other ones I've heard of are Almond and Hemp (but I've never tried or seen either one). Is there any others? I dislike soy and rice because it's too sweet. I do not like sweet stuff, heck I don't even like sweets in general and prefer veggies over fruit because fruit is too sweet for me. So what's a good vegan NON sweet milk I might like?

Red Lion
Jul 9th, 2009, 07:13 AM
The only non-sweetened vegan vegan milk I know of is unsweeteened soya
milk,I've been using it for over 20 years and I find it actually makes muesli
and other breakfast cereals taste better,I also enjoy it on it's own.It is
basically persevering with it and you will find you come to like it.Before I
became vegan I used to drink cows milk,literally as they say "until the cows
come home" now the only milk I drink is soya,I have never heard of hemp
milk,almond milk I have never tried and rice milk I have but I will stick with
soya.I trust I have been of some help gyp5mOOn

harpy
Jul 9th, 2009, 08:45 AM
I don't know where you are but in the UK there's also oat milk, which as far as I know isn't sweetened; you may find it's naturally sweeter than you like, though. Like Red Lion I would think unsweetened soy milk could be a good bet if you can get used to it.

If it's for tea/coffee I think there may be some vegan "creamers" but I don't know anything about them as I don't take milk in tea/coffee myself.

Ms_Derious
Jul 9th, 2009, 11:43 AM
As Harpy says, there is also oatmilk. It's really easy to make your own with some cooked oatmeal, water and a blender. If you google, you'll find loads of recipes :)

I find sweetened soymilk horrible! Shop around for non sweetened ones, you might find something you like.

Cherry
Jul 9th, 2009, 05:52 PM
I find sweetened soya milk horrible too. I do love sweet things, but I don't like sweet tea/coffee/cereal (or lasagne!) so I always get the unsweetened stuff.

There's quinoa milk as well.

*live*&*let*live
Jul 9th, 2009, 09:33 PM
The creamers are made by Oatly and are really very nice! I too dislike soya milk and rice milk, but then tried Alpro light. It is fine with coffee and cereal but not too keen on it in tea. I purchaed some oat milk last week but not tried it yet. It's more expensive that some of the other milks but if it works in my cup of tea, it will be worth it! There is only me that has it in my house though and it takes ages for me to drink it so there is always the chance of it going off. You can only seem to get them in large cartons where I shop. I have not had a cup of tea since becoming vegan, apart from the fruit/herbal ones and I love my tea! :smile:

Cherry
Jul 9th, 2009, 09:38 PM
I have not had a cup of tea since becoming vegan:smile:

:surprised_ani: Oh my! I'm not sure I could survive for more than 24 hours without tea!

*live*&*let*live
Jul 9th, 2009, 09:43 PM
^ tell me about it ^ I do miss my tea, but not enough to have one with cows milk! :)

Cherry
Jul 9th, 2009, 09:49 PM
Eurgh, well no. Quick, go and test out your oat milk! It's making me anxious thinking of tea-lovers going without tea :D

Sometimes I can't get through a whole carton of soya milk in a week at work, so I have hot chocolate, cereal or porridge to finish it off.

Cherry
Jul 9th, 2009, 09:49 PM
Oops. Posted twice by mistake.

*live*&*let*live
Jul 9th, 2009, 09:52 PM
Can't until this carton of Alpro light is used up or it will go off! What do you recommend?! :thumbsup:

Cherry
Jul 9th, 2009, 10:01 PM
To use up your alpro light? Tea!! No, wait... :D I don't know. Hot chocolate at bed time, cereal in the morning and a couple of cups of coffee?

Red Lion
Jul 9th, 2009, 10:05 PM
The only thing that mixes well with alpro light is more of the same

*live*&*let*live
Jul 9th, 2009, 11:13 PM
Cherry, I meant to put in my tea :lol: My hairy daughter will drink the Alpro Light if I give it to her, but was meaning for my tea!! :D

threeheadedpuppy
Jul 9th, 2009, 11:59 PM
I tried almond milk the other day, and found it to be on the same level of sweetness to rice, but with an odd, flavour. I would imagine cashew nut milk might be a winner, but i don't know if it exists. (well if its good enough for ice cream...)

Cherry
Jul 12th, 2009, 03:38 PM
I haven't tried almond milk. Will have to give it a go - not in tea, though!

Cherry, I meant to put in my tea :lol: My hairy daughter will drink the Alpro Light if I give it to her, but was meaning for my tea!! :D

I recommend whichever milk you find palatable! I'm happy with any carton of unsweetened soya milk. I find rice milk too watery, 'so good' too sweet and hazelnut milk (which is nice to drink on it's own) too clumpy, sweet and makes the tea taste funny. Have you tried the oat milk yet? I think I've had that in tea before and it was ok.