PDA

View Full Version : Soup recipes

Pages : [1] 2

feline01
Jan 2nd, 2005, 05:01 PM
Lame name but I made up this yummy soup yesterday and since it's red and green mainly, thought that worked. All the measurements are approximate since I don't measure anything when making soup. I don't think you can really mess it up.

1 cup dried green split peas
1 cup dried red lentils
1 large onion, very finely chopped
3 cloves garlic, very finely chopped (I love garlic)
4 large carrots cut into coins
1-2 T olive oil
2-3 T soy sauce or tamari
2 cubes of sodium-free vegan bouillion or container of veggie broth
1 teaspoon each of the following: curry powder, turmeric, powdered ginger, coriander and cumin

Saute the onions/garlic in the oil until slighly soft then add all the spices and saute until the mixture is a yellowish color and smells really good. Add the bouillion and mash int onion/garlic mixture. Add the all the beans. Add water so that the water covers the beans by about 2 inches. If adding broth, add all of it to do the same or supplement with water. Add the carrots. Cook until the beans are soft, about 1/2 hour. Add the soy sauce/tamari.

I cooked the soup with 5 dried shitake mushrooms. I like the flavor and eating the shrooms but I don't think it makes much of a difference.

maya
Nov 9th, 2005, 05:52 PM
http://dingo.care-mail.com/c2misc/onepix_transp.gifCreamy Avocado Soup

4 ripe Haas avocados peeled seeded and cut in cubes

1/2 cup cilantro

3 serrano chilies

1 quart Vegetable broth

1 cup soy milk

1/4 cup Lime juice

Salt

Garnish

Tofutti Sour cream

Chopped cilantro leaves

Pico De Gallo

Lime and Chili Tortilla Strips

Lime and Chili Tortilla Strips

10 white corn tortillas
4 pasilla chilies
lemon-lime flavored salt

Pico de Gallo

5 Roma tomatoes diced

2 serrano chilies seeds removed

1/4 cup onion - finely diced

2 tablespoons chopped cilantro

2 teaspoons lime juice

salt

Combine the avocado, cilantro, serrano chilies and 1-1/2 cups of the veggie stock in blender. Blend until mixture is very smooth. Transfer to a medium-sized bowl and whisk in the remaining veggie stock, soymilk and lime juice. Add salt to taste and mix. Taste for seasoning, add additional salt if needed. Cover and refrigerate until well chilled before serving.

To make the lime and Chili Tortilla Strips:
Remove the seeds from the pasilla chilies and toast them in a dry skillet over medium-high heat until they are very crispy. Do not burn the chilies. Grind the chilies to a powder in a spice mill or coffee grinder. Toss the chili powder with some of the lime salt in a small bowl, blending well.
Preheat oven to 350F.
Spray tortillas lightly w/ oil and sprinkle with chile-salt-lime and stack them together. Cut the stack in app inch strips . Scatter the strips on a cookie sheet. Re-sprinkle if needed then bake them for about 10 minutes until lightly browned. Remove and allow to cool. Store in container with tight-fitting lid until ready to use.

To make the Pico de Gallo:Combine all ingredients except salt in a small bowl and toss to blend well. Season to taste with salt and refrigerate until ready to use.

Please share your favorite soup recipes!!!!!!!!

terra
Nov 9th, 2005, 08:44 PM
Maya - your avocado soup sounds so yummy!

I'm going to give that a try next week after I buy some avocados!

Here's my recipe for potato leek soup...

POTATO LEEK SOUP

3 large leeks
3-4 medium white pototoes
3 large carrots
3-4 cloves garlic
8 cups water
4 vegetable bouillon cubes
2 tablespoons olive oil

*Cut leeks into 1/4 inch slices (creating disks)
*Put all of the leek disks into a large bowl filled with icy cold water (make sure to wash leeks well, they have lots of dirt between the layers) and let them soak while you cut your other veggies!
*Cut potatoes into small cubes (peel first, if desired) and then I usually soak my potato cubes in cold water while I cut everything else.
*Cut your carrots into disks or half moons :)
*mince your garlic.

*strain the leeks in a coliander, rinse under cold water. Put back into your bowl and add cold water again, swishing it around to get the excess dirt off. *Strain again and rinse under cold water. (I do this a few times to make sure I have the dirt off, but twice is fine!)
*keep the leeks in the coliander and place ontop of the bowl to let the excess water drip off.

*heat your olive oil in a very large pot on medium to low heat.
*add the garlic and saute for a few minutes.
*add the carrots and saute with the garlic for another minute or so.
*next add your drained leeks & saute until tender. (about 3-5 minutes, I usually turn the element to a medium-high heat for this part!)

*Add 8 cups of water and bring to a boil on high heat.
*Add your bouillon cubes and stir until they have dissolved.

*Add your potatoes!

*bring it down to a medium-low heat and simmer until potatoes & carrots are cooked.

*Serve with sea salt and ENJOY!

I've never really followed any directions for this recipe..i sortof just made it up and I wing it everytime I make it..it's always different amounts.. sometimes, I won't put carrots and I will add more potatoes, sometimes I'll only have 2 leeks instead of 3 and sometimes I'll only have one big potato. I'll even saute some white onion with the garlic the odd time, it's sometimes very brothy and sometimes very chunky!....but it ALWAYS turns out awesome!

Also, the amount of water and the amount of bouillon cubes all depends on what bouillon cube you buy. Just follow the directions on the package....mine says to add 2 cups of water for 1 cube.... :)

It sounds like a lot of work, but it's really basic and easy!
Give it a try..it's one of our favorite soups!

It's great the next day too, the soup gets thick and a bit gravy-ish from the potatoes....it's wonderful!

maya
Nov 9th, 2005, 08:49 PM
I love potato leek soup. I also love split pea soup and gazpacho. Now that it is geting a little cooler I can start making more soups. If you are an avacado fan you will really like that soup.

terra
Nov 9th, 2005, 10:02 PM
I would *like* to be an avocado fan...

So I'm definately going to try it!

It's the whole texture thing I can't get over when i try to eat an avocado, but in a soup..i think that might just work!

maya
Nov 16th, 2005, 02:30 PM
Creamy Mushroom Soup

2 cups chopped onions (2 medium ones)
3-4 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup uncooked pearl barley
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1 pounds white mushrooms
4 baby portobello mushrooms sliced
1/4 cup sherry
1/2 cup chopped parsley
salt and pepper to taste

Saute onions and garlic in a large heavy pot in water or sherry. Add
barley and nutmeg and cook for 1 minute, stirring. Add chopped mushrooms,
broth and sherry. Bring to a boil, reduce head and simmer for 40 minutes.
Add parsely and cool soup slightly. Puree soup in batches in a food
processor or blender until very smooth. Return to the pot and season
with salt and pepper. Reheat and serve garnished with more sliced
mushrooms.

Mr Flibble
Nov 16th, 2005, 04:27 PM
4 vegetable bouillon cubes

how big is a cube? ;)

In the UK the most common cubes produce either 500ml or a UK imperial pint of stock each.

terra
Nov 16th, 2005, 04:57 PM
how big is a cube? ;)

In the UK the most common cubes produce either 500ml or a UK imperial pint of stock each.

Hey Mr. Flibble -

Each cube is 11 grams. :)

foxytina_69
Nov 19th, 2005, 10:25 AM
Tina's split pea soup:

12 cups of water
2 vegetable boullion cubes
3 carrots (chopped fine in food processor)
2 medium onions (chopped)
3-4 cups split peas
few dashes cumin
2 teaspoons garlic powder (roughly, i either used more or less)
about 8 drops of liquid smoke
squirt of mustard
lots of sea salt and pepper :D

fry the onions in the bottom of a large pot, until clear. add carrots and cook for a few minutes stirring often. then add the boullion cubes and water, and all other ingredients. cook on medium heat until split peas are fully cooked and soup is done. adjust seasonings if needed.

i just made this up the other day because i really wanted split pea soup. it was DELICIOUS. (surprisingly, it only lasted 2 days because my bf and sister loved it aswell LOL)

Cloudy
Nov 19th, 2005, 11:36 AM
Cauliflower soup is a good way to use a whole cauliflower.

Just fry an onion and some garlic until soft, add 225ml (around half a pint) of stock and 225ml of soya milk, and stick your florets in. Add to this some salt and pepper, and a bit of nutmeg.

Soften this up then liquidise it when soft, and add whatever fresh herbs you have (I either use a little parsley or chives)

Don't forget the bread!

maya
Nov 22nd, 2005, 05:16 PM
Thanks! Foxy. Have to try this!!!!!!!

Tina's split pea soup:

12 cups of water
2 vegetable boullion cubes
3 carrots (chopped fine in food processor)
2 medium onions (chopped)
3-4 cups split peas
few dashes cumin
2 teaspoons garlic powder (roughly, i either used more or less)
about 8 drops of liquid smoke
squirt of mustard
lots of sea salt and pepper :D

fry the onions in the bottom of a large pot, until clear. add carrots and cook for a few minutes stirring often. then add the boullion cubes and water, and all other ingredients. cook on medium heat until split peas are fully cooked and soup is done. adjust seasonings if needed.

i just made this up the other day because i really wanted split pea soup. it was DELICIOUS. (surprisingly, it only lasted 2 days because my bf and sister loved it aswell LOL)

foxytina_69
Nov 22nd, 2005, 06:42 PM
i hope you like it maya :)

foxytina_69
Nov 22nd, 2005, 06:46 PM
im actually going to make this again tonight :D

im going to try using 1 veg boullion cube instead (if it works then yay i can not have to use so much :D)

catmogg
Nov 22nd, 2005, 06:55 PM
Okay, so its a little late for pumpkins but i love this 'peppery pumpkin soup'...

2 onions, chopped
a little veg oil or vegan marg
flesh of 1 pumpkin
3-4 cups soya milk
seasalt to taste
freshly ground black pepper

Fry the onion in the oil or marg until soft then add the pumpkin and salt and cook for a few minutes. Add the soya milk and bring to the boil - reduce heat and simmer gently until the pumpkin flesh is soft. Place the soup in a liquidiser and blend until smooth and frothy. Add the pepper.

YUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMY.

maya
Nov 22nd, 2005, 07:30 PM
I will save myself the trouble and invite myself to your house.:)

im actually going to make this again tonight :D

im going to try using 1 veg boullion cube instead (if it works then yay i can not have to use so much :D)

foxytina_69
Nov 22nd, 2005, 11:52 PM
:D come on over!

foxytina_69
Nov 23rd, 2005, 04:40 AM
i added nutritional yeast to it this time aswell. it was really yummy!

sophia
Nov 23rd, 2005, 06:09 AM
tomato, lentil and coconut

10 or so vine tomatoes (skinned)
cup of red lentils
an onion
grated creamed coconut/fresh coconut
tomato puree
good dash of liquid aminos
750 mls of stock
felafel (ogran) or home made

fry the onion in some oil, then chop up tomatos and add along with tomato puree. Cook for a couple of mins then add stock and leave to simmer for 20 mins.liquidise, return to pan and add grated coconut (to your taste) and liquid aminos. Add the lentils and cook on low heat for 5 - 10 mins.
Serve in bowls with 2 or 3 felafel in the soup.

This soup is good for people (like me) who have to avoid bread, as the falafel is wheat and yeast and still fills you up like bread.

catmogg
Nov 25th, 2005, 01:34 PM
Cauliflower soup is a good way to use a whole cauliflower.

Just fry an onion and some garlic until soft, add 225ml (around half a pint) of stock and 225ml of soya milk, and stick your florets in. Add to this some salt and pepper, and a bit of nutmeg.

Soften this up then liquidise it when soft, and add whatever fresh herbs you have (I either use a little parsley or chives)

Don't forget the bread!

I made this today for lunch. I added potatoes and a some vegan cream. Yummy. :)

VeganBiker
Nov 26th, 2005, 05:21 AM
It's rather simple, but I've been making split pea soup! :) oh yummm... I add thyme, bay leaf, carrot, and about 25% wild rice, garlic and salt. The beans get soaked over night in twice the amount of water as beans (they suck it up over night). Salt and a bit of crushed garlic, carrot, add the rice in raw, and the two spices and a couple hours on the stove and wahlah sp? lol ... some great stuff. The nutty taste of the wild rice is captured in it; and looks good floating around with the green and orange colors; I just love it.

maya
Nov 28th, 2005, 02:54 PM
Cream of Asparagus Soup

2 1/2 cups vegetable broth
1 lb. fresh asparagus, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
1 large potato, thinly sliced
1/2 medium-sized onion, chopped
1/2 cup celery, chopped
2 Tbsp. unbleached all-purpose flour
2 cups soy milk
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1/4 tsp. dried tarragon

In a large saucepan over medium heat, bring the broth or water to a boil.
Add the asparagus, potato, onion, and celery, then reduce the heat and cook for 25 to 30 minutes.
Pour the soup mixture into a food processor along with the flour and purée until smooth.
Return the soup to the saucepan, add the remaining ingredients, and simmer until the soup begins to thicken and is heated through.

Serve in a crusty bread bowl. :cool:

GoodbyeGirl
May 2nd, 2006, 07:26 AM
CREAMY BELGIAN ENDIVE AND CELERY SOUP

4 Belgian endive, chopped
1 bunch celery, chopped
1 white onion, diced
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 large potatoes, peeled and diced
3 cups vegetable broth
2 cups soy milk
salt and pepper
chopped chives (to garnish)
dill sprigs (to garnish)

Saute the onion, garlic, celery and endives in the oil for 5 minutes.
Add the potatoes and broth and simmer for about 15 minutes, or until the potatoes are soft.
Blend until smooth, using an immersion blender, or carefully transferring hot soup to blender and then back to pot.
Add the milk, salt, and pepper and blend. Serve hot or cold.
Garnish with chopped endive leaves, chives, and dill.

this soup is also really good without the soy milk and without being pureed, so there are actually three different soup options here.

lozza
May 4th, 2006, 05:35 PM
i havent made a good soup in aaages. i think i might steal some of these.

i wish i had the internet at home. instead i have to save all these onto my USB stick then when i get home, i need to write it on a piece of paper and then go into the kitchen and make it. GUH.

Wildflower
May 5th, 2006, 05:46 AM
i havent made a good soup in aaages. i think i might steal some of these.

i wish i had the internet at home. instead i have to save all these onto my USB stick then when i get home, i need to write it on a piece of paper and then go into the kitchen and make it. GUH.

LOL - I do the same! And I *DO* have internet at home and about 3 printers that never seem to be working!

absentmindedfan
May 5th, 2006, 10:23 AM
Tomato Pasta Soup with 'Meat'balls...

Fry 1 small onion and 2 cloves garlic until translucent. Add 2 handfuls chopped cabbage, 3 carrots and 3 small potatoes. Add water and 2 OXOs and simmer until soft.
Meanwhile use organic burger mix with a little flour added to make little meatballs, and fry in a little oil until crunchy on the outside and cooked through. Set aside.
Add one can chopped toms to the soup and process until mostly smooth. Add 150-200g of little bow pasta (farfallini as it is sometimes called) a bit more water, the 'meat'balls and simmer for 5 mins. Add salt and pepper, rest for 5 mins and serve.

Yummy yummy yummy!
p.s if you leave it overnight the pasta will soak up more water so bear this in mind