PDA

View Full Version : Raw vegan food: What did you eat today? (2)

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Kitteh
May 13th, 2009, 02:10 AM
Yest'day (*=not raw)
B: narna, tea w/ rice milk*
M: green smoothie (baby spinach, 3 narnas)
L: salad w/ lettuce, tom, cuc, avo, carrot, lemon juice
A: spoonful of pb*
D: african sweet potato peanut stew w/ green beans, broccoli and brown rice*, later a raw pudding/mousse made with an avocado, cacao and agave syrup plus a mandarin

ellaminnowpea
May 13th, 2009, 07:02 PM
later a raw pudding/mousse made with an avocado, cacao and agave syrup plus a mandarin

That sounds interesting! Is that from Ani Phyo's book?

I had raw pad thai

http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm292/fondducoeur/DSCN1135.jpg

Ummm...omg! Looks so good! I am so glad you live near me!! Feeeeeeed me! :p

Kitteh
May 13th, 2009, 11:13 PM
That sounds interesting! Is that from Ani Phyo's book?

Hmm, she might have something like that in her book but I actually got the idea online, someone had lots of avocados and asked what they could do with them and someone suggested a raw pudding.
At home I had 4 very ripe avocados and decided to try it. I blended 1 avocado, a tbs of cacao, a tbs of agave and a tsp of vanilla. It was a bit too dark/bitter so I had to add a lot more agave! Next time I will add less cacao ;)

Kitteh
May 23rd, 2009, 10:53 AM
*= not raw
B: narna, ginger lemon tea
M: spelt strawberry shortcake*
L: green smoothie (baby spinach, 3 narnas)
A: tea w/ rice milk*
D: raw pad thai w/ zuch noodles, capsicum, tomato, cuc, carrot and almondy, chilli, lime sauce, ginger lemon tea

IwannabeKate
Jul 9th, 2009, 12:09 PM
i'm trying to do one raw food day a week. i work out regularly, but i figured on my off day i would try to make that my raw food day. i made a strawberry-blueberry-banana smoothie but i used soy milk. i really like it but is there a way to make it taste good and still be raw? help please!

Roxy
Jul 9th, 2009, 05:58 PM
I know some people make their own soy milk, but I'm not sure of the process. Perhaps the beans need to be cooked first? Anyone?

maidenofthewell
Jul 9th, 2009, 11:35 PM
I'm pretty sure you have to cook soy beans first. But you can make loads of different nut milks - I've made up brazilnut milk at the moment which is really good, or use cashews, almonds etc.
Another thing that is a great milk replacement in a smoothie is half an avocado, especially if theres a banana in there as well it goes soooo smooth and creamy!
My 'staple' smoothie at the moment is a banana, 1/2 avo and whatever fruit/berries I have around.

IwannabeKate
Jul 10th, 2009, 12:26 AM
mmm i'll have to try that. I have an avocado in my fridge that i've had nothing to do with for quite sometime. better use it before it turns... i'm a HUGE fruit person so making smoothies is something i love. i don't think i could calculate the mass amount of fruits and berries i consume on a daily basis! :p

fiamma
Aug 9th, 2009, 02:43 PM
B: Blueberry soy yogurt*, espresso*

L: Salad of shredded red cabbage, tomato, radishes, carrot, lettuce leaves, rocket and green olives*. Peach, 2 plums.

Are olives considered raw? They came in a jar in brine, so I imagine probably not.

D: Two peaches from the local fruit grower person :)

fiamma
Aug 10th, 2009, 02:51 PM
B: Two pieces of a raw cereal bar I made last night (absolutely divine - used raisins, almonds, sunflower seeds and sesame seeds), 3 plums. Espresso*

L: Raw tomato soup (fresh tomatoes, tahini, fresh ginger, turmeric, salt and pepper). Peach.

Actually I'm not sure if the tahini is raw; I have a feeling it's not. It's the Rapunzel light tahini, and I read somewhere it's the only raw one on the market, but...)

cedarblue
Aug 11th, 2009, 04:52 PM
i made 32oz of green smoothie this morning from banana, orange, kiwi, romaine, water.
enough to have breakfast and lunch out of.

it filled me up after breakfast till about 1ish but i was peckish again soon after the lunchtime serving - weird...

fiamma
Aug 12th, 2009, 08:28 AM
I bought a big bag of chard yesterday and am determined to get over my fear of green smoothies, but so far they've not been my thing... Do you have a fancy blender, Cedar? Like a Vita-Mix? I just have a bog-standard one - do you really think it makes a difference when it comes to green smoothies?

Today:

B: Raw "yogurt" (frozen banana, tahini, tropical fruit juice* and cinnamon). Yellow kiwi, peach. Espresso*. Molasses "tea"*.

L: Peach, yellow kiwi, 2 plums, 3 walnuts, handful of almonds. Espresso*, biscuits*

Planning a big salad for dinner...

cedarblue
Aug 12th, 2009, 08:51 PM
no i don't have a fancy blender, just a standard hand blender - which is why my smoothies arent very smooth at all, lumpy and bitty.

i'm saving up at the moment either for a vita mix or a dehydrator. the dehydrator may come first as it is cheaper to buy.

i'm convinced that a high powered blender will make a difference to smoothies and things like soups, dressings etc.

looking forward to the day when my smoothies are actually, just that!

smoothie today;
spinach from the garden
water
2 bananas
orange

i've decided, never ever to put kiwi in a smoothie again. i'd rather eat them as whole fruit.

fiamma
Aug 17th, 2009, 10:16 PM
I have a blender with my food processor, but whatever I'm blending leaks out of the bottom... :( Certainly hasn't helped the love affair between green smoothies and I... :D

B: 2 plums, espresso*

L: Salad (salad leaves, tomato, carrot) + olive oil, balsamic vinegar*

D: 2 peaches, nectarine, peanuts*

Kitteh
Aug 18th, 2009, 01:56 AM
I haven't posted here in months! I've still been having bananas for brekky, a green smoothie mid-morning as well as salad for lunch but the rest of my day is cooked.

fiamma
Aug 18th, 2009, 02:17 PM
It's good to see you back Kitteh... was wondering where you'd been! :)
I'm slowly getting back into the raw way of eating and loving it :)

B: Banana, espresso*

L: Mock "rice" pilaf (recipe from Jennifer Cornbleet book) - grated raw zucchini with marinara sauce (raw tomato, olive oil, red pepper, dried basil, salt, pepper, cayenne), raisins, parsley and cashew nuts.
Apple, nectarine.
Espresso*

I realise the raisins and cashews probably aren't raw.

D: Apple, yellow kiwi, nectarine.

Kitteh
Aug 19th, 2009, 02:57 AM
Thanks, Fiamma! I feel like I need too as well but I am using winter as an excuse for my lack of raw :P And that raw pilaf sounds good!

I am happy that I have kept up fruit, smoothies and salads and we are having warmer weather at the moment which makes me wants fresh, raw meals rather than cooked. I am easing back in by having a cooked, homemade veggie pattie with salad for lunch and sometimes dinner too. I will have to start making raw pad thai because I really loved that.

DiaShel
Aug 19th, 2009, 12:56 PM
Hm, I've been eating a lot of raw lately. Here's what I'm having today:

B- Green smoothie- 2 banana, 2 apples, spinach

L- peach and kiwi. Salad- mixed greens, avo, roasted pepper*, olive oil and apple cider vinegar and garlic, pecans.

D- Broccoli with hummus. Home made muffin. Lara bar.

fiamma
Aug 19th, 2009, 01:36 PM
Mmm... raw pad thai sounds good... could you share the recipe? And does it need lots of exotic ingredients? I can get fresh ginger, but that's about as exotic as it gets... :rolleyes:

The pilaf was great! I can send you the recipe if you want, Kitteh...

It's great to see you eating raw too, DiaShel :) I love raw food, and feel so well and vibrant when I eat raw.

Today:

B: Yellow grapefruit, nectarine. Molasses "tea"* (not raw, but very high in iron :thumbsup:).

L: Sprouted lentil soup.

Right now I'm looking for raw brownie inspiration... :cool:

DiaShel
Aug 19th, 2009, 06:19 PM
^ What is this "tea"? I need iron!

Ms_Derious
Aug 19th, 2009, 09:57 PM

Just molasses in hot water is the normal. I think its most often 1 tablespoon. I personally find that too much, so I do it with 1 teaspoon.

fiamma
Aug 19th, 2009, 10:29 PM

Two teaspoons of molasses dissolved in hot water will give you 50% of your RDA of iron, plus other minerals. If you have something rich in Vit C along with it (like I had a grapefruit) it will help with absorption.

DiaShel
Aug 20th, 2009, 02:46 AM
This is such a great idea. Does it taste... ok? I don't need it to taste great but it's not horrible is it? I have molasses and used it in a recipe once so I'm excited to have a use for it.

Ms_Derious
Aug 20th, 2009, 10:08 AM
This is such a great idea. Does it taste... ok? I don't need it to taste great but it's not horrible is it? I have molasses and used it in a recipe once so I'm excited to have a use for it.

Its odd. The first time I had it it was kinda weird tasting... then after a week or so I decide I really liked it!

I do find that sometimes I forget that that is what I'm drinking, so I look over at a dark cup of liquid, thinking it's my normal black coffee, and I get quite a shock when it's actually sweet yummy molasses!

fiamma
Aug 20th, 2009, 11:35 PM
^ My thoughts exactly!!! :)