PDA

View Full Version : New Member Seeking Recipes

sbond
Jan 3rd, 2005, 12:03 AM
Hello, everyone. I hope someone here can help me.

I would like to find or develop a vegan recipe for 100% whole wheat bread (no white flour) that allows for the addition of whole grains such as amaranth, rye, oats, wild rice, millet, barley, quinoa, buckwheat, flaxseeds, and brown rice. The recipe should be adaptable for dinner rolls, too. I understand that such wholegrain breads are invariably dense, but should like to make it as light and fluffy as possible.

In addition, I am trying to create some sort of stuffing for artichokes that includes black or kidney beans, chickpeas, and lentils. I am willing to experiment with any herb or spice, except cinnamon. I prefer to use extra-virgin olive oil if I must use oil at all.

If anyone has a recipe or has an idea how I might start my own, I would truly appreciate it!

cast_the_flames
Jan 3rd, 2005, 04:07 AM
i recently made a whole wheat bread that was surprisingly fluffly! i'm sure that you could add some other grains, although that owuld make it more dense. the trick is the gluten, which some people don't like to add. however, it gives it a nice texture and you dont neeed much. i was going to make it with some oats, but i forgot.

for two loaves:
sponge:
2 1/2 cups warm water
1 scant tablespoon active dry yeast
1/4 cup molasses
1/2 cup gluten flour
2 cups whole wheat flour

bread:
1/3 cup vegetable oil
2 1/2 tsp salt
3 1/2 cups whole wheat flour.

i'm assuming you know the basics of bread making, so i'll make the directions breif:
mix sponge until smooth, let rice for about an hour in a warm place until it's foamy on top and doubled in volume.
stir the sponge, add oil, salt, and 1 cup of flour and beat until smooth. add the rest of the flour by 1/2 cup increments until you have a heavy dough.
knead on a lightly floured surface and continue to add as much of the remaining flour to the dough as you can, a few tbsp at a time. knead until the dough is smooth but slightly tacky, 3-5 minutes.
let dough rise in oiled bowl until doubled in bulk, about 1 1/2 hours or longer.
punch down dough and shape into two loaves and place in two bread pans. let rise for about 45 minutes, or until doubled in volume.
bake at 375 F for 45-50 minutes.