PDA

View Full Version : Vegan Cookbooks

mysonvaughn
Jan 3rd, 2005, 03:29 AM
Hi. I tried to post this before but something must have happened. I was wondering if anyone had a favorite vegan cookbook. I know I can get recipes on the web but I invariably spend hours looking through options and give myself a headache when I do that. I would dearly love to have a simple vegan cookbook that doesn't have ingredients I have to ship in from Madagascar and one with some sample meal plans would be awesome. If anyone has a fave let me know. Meg

cast_the_flames
Jan 3rd, 2005, 03:59 AM
i'm a fan of "how it all vegan" and "vegetarian cooking for everyone" although the latter is ovo-lacto. it's a gigantic book with lots of information in it, though. "vegan cooking for one" has weekly plans that include a shopping list and some recipes reuse leftovers from earlier ones.

assilembob
Jan 5th, 2005, 06:47 PM
That sounds like my sister when she was little :)

I do both "How it all vegan" and "The Garden of Vegan" a lot and most of thier recipes are fairly simple.
Lately I have gotten most of my stuff off LiveJournal or Vegweb.

~Mel

feline01
Jan 18th, 2005, 07:18 PM
I love Vegan Vittles and the Candle Cafe Cookbook (a fantastic vegan restaurant in NYC). Oh and the Ultimate Uncheese Cookbook. I made some almond cream cheeze the other day from that book that was fantastic.

MzNatural
Jan 18th, 2005, 10:59 PM
Yes, I have made a few recipes for family/friends and they loved it!

eve
May 1st, 2005, 08:13 AM
In Ingrid Newkirk's latest book, "Making Kind Choices", she has several recipes at the end of each chapter, and they are very enticing, even to someone like me who really prefers raw! Even in the chapter about dogs, there are a few recipes for them too. :)

Wanda
May 1st, 2005, 01:56 PM
Ingrid Newkirk actually came to a bookstore just 5 minutes from where I live to read something from that book.
That was the first time I ever met her.
She is such a sweet lady!

mattd
Jun 11th, 2005, 03:44 AM
Garden of Vegan- duh
How It All Vegan- duh, again
Moosewood Cookbook (there's alot of nonvegan stuff in there, but it's easy to convert. example: we used coconut milk to make the corn chowder recipe in place of regular milk, it was the best corn chowder i've ever had)
Sinfully Vegan (awesome "cheese"cake recipes)
Post Punk Kitchen (http://www.theppk.com) (their cook bood isn't out yet, but they've got good recipes there)
The Angelica Home Kitchen- this is my favorite cookbook by far. They're fairly difficult recipes, but sooooooooooooooo good. My favorite is the open faced tempeh sandwich.

moochbabe
Nov 7th, 2005, 03:54 AM
I'm looking for a reasonably simple healthy recipe cook book/s - any recommendations? :)
my fav cookbook is by Nava Atlas. it's not 100% vegan, but most at least have a substitute, and everything is very nutritious and relatively simple. she also has ideas for how to "make it a meal" along with tips on foods and nutrients and then she lists a ton of sources in the back as well, a very good buy imo :)

maya
Nov 7th, 2005, 09:50 PM
Please Feed Me A Punk Vegan Cookbook

Vegan Fusion Cookbook

Rowan
Jan 8th, 2006, 06:57 PM
I just bought La Dolce Vegan, which is very nice. It's bigger than How It All Vegan & Garden of Vegan, too. A definite plus!

I also just got The Glad Cow cookbook from www.foodfightgrocery.com (http://www.foodfightgrocery.com) . The recipes in there are wonderful! Lots of baked goods & sweets, including a great recipe for caramels. Yum!

Does anyone have Vegan With A Vengeance or Vive La Vegan? I've been thinking about getting those two for a while.

Mr Flibble
Jan 8th, 2006, 08:26 PM
There's my thoughts on about 30 cookery books I own (mostly vegan or related to vegan food) here: http://books.offline.org.uk/index.php?cat=cookery

Hemlock
Jan 9th, 2006, 03:06 AM
There's my thoughts on about 30 cookery books I own (mostly vegan or related to vegan food) here: http://books.offline.org.uk/index.php?cat=cookery

Oh dear, Leah Leneman gets it:) I need to find an inspiring cookbook quick as my culinary skills are not famed throughout the land.
from what you say Mr Flibble I am doomed to wander chunky casserole valley for ever!:)

Roxy
Jan 9th, 2006, 05:50 AM
I just bought La Dolce Vegan, which is very nice. It's bigger than How It All Vegan & Garden of Vegan, too. A definite plus!

I just bought La Dolce Vegan, yesterday :D I'm looking forward to trying out lots of those recipes. They all look so good!!

I will buy CC's cookbook when it comes out too :D

Mystic
Feb 2nd, 2006, 11:43 PM
So far in my cookbook collection, I have:

The Vegan Cookbook (Nicola Graimes)
A Vegan Taste of the Carribbean (Linda Majzlik)
A Vegan Taste of North Africa (Linda Majzlik)
A Vegan Taste of India (Linda Majzlik)
Fat Free and Easy (Jennifer Raymond)
Easy Vegan Cooking (Leah Leneman)

I have ordered 8 :o cookbooks from Amazon - let me know if I have made good choices:

- Great Good Desserts Naturally
- Sinfully Vegan: Over 140 Decadent Desserts to Satisfy Every Vegan's Sweet Tooth
- The Mediterranean Vegan Kitchen
- The Candle Cafe Cookbook : More Than 150 Enlightened Recipes from New York's Renowned Vegan Restaurant
- Spicy Vegan
- Vice Cream: Over 70 Sinfully Delicious Dairy-Free Delights
- Vegan Deli
- Vegan Planet : 400 Irresistible Recipes with Fantastic Flavors from Home and Around the World

ConsciousCuisine
Feb 3rd, 2006, 12:24 AM
I have ordered 8 :o cookbooks from Amazon - let me know if I have made good choices:

- Sinfully Vegan: Over 140 Decadent Desserts to Satisfy Every Vegan's Sweet Tooth
- Vegan Planet : 400 Irresistible Recipes with Fantastic Flavors from Home and Around the World

Just wanted to comment on these 2...I have heard nothing but BAD reviews/comments about "Sinfully Vegan" but "Vegan Planet" has been given only the best reviews!

akaredarcher
Feb 6th, 2006, 06:05 AM
Hi everyone,
Was wondering if anybody could recommend a book about using different grains in cooking and baking? I've already got 'With the grain' by Sokolov on my list but was looking for something else more recipe oriented. Even one with a good section on (vegan) baking would suffice. Breads in particular...

My mother's offering to buy books on amazon and send them to me for my birthday in March cos we live in different states. So I'm preparing a list for her! The one I want the most is The China Study though.

Anyone got any ideas??

Diana
akaredarcher

gertvegan
Feb 6th, 2006, 11:51 AM
The one I want the most is The China Study though.
The The China Study (http://veganforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6906) thread may interest you then. :)

jennyL
Jun 7th, 2006, 07:46 AM
I bought a couple of cookbooks that seem pretty good so far

vegan planet and
vegan with a vengence

does anyone have any good (and uncomplicated!) cookbook recommendations?

Syren
Jun 11th, 2006, 06:09 AM
My favourites:
La Dolce Vegan and How It All Vegan (not the Garden of Vegan as much) and The Vegetarian Family Cookbook (LOVE!).

All three are very simple, kid-friendly, and appealing to a wide audience.

Roxy
Jun 11th, 2006, 06:31 AM
I can also vouch for La Dolce Vegan and How it all Vegan. Both very good cookbooks with nice, basic recipes.

snail
Jun 20th, 2006, 04:55 PM
try these books.

the voluptous vegan, artful vegan and angelica's kitchen cookbook. def a good start

veggiemaya
Jan 29th, 2008, 04:30 PM
does anyone know of any good vegan cookbooks that list nutrition facts for the recipes?

Dragonflye
Feb 19th, 2008, 11:57 PM
I love "The Joy of Vegan Baking" by Colleen Patrick-Goudreau. No specific nutrition tables though, sorry...

jalapeno
Mar 26th, 2008, 07:34 AM
I love "The Joy of Vegan Baking" by Colleen Patrick-Goudreau. No specific nutrition tables though, sorry...
This is such a great book! I received it for Christmas...beautiful pictures, clear directions, lots of information and it has 80+ 5 star reviews at Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Joy-Vegan-Baking-Compassionate-Traditional/dp/1592332803/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1206512936&sr=1-1

I am looking forward to meeting the author at VegFest Denver in a couple of weeks.