PDA

View Full Version : How do you save water?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

fiamma
Jul 15th, 2009, 03:49 PM
Do you make a conscious attempt to save water? If so, how?
I don't shower every day, unless I feel I need to, and try to turn on taps for the time strictly necessary; generally every time I use water I try to use as little as I can. Thoughts? Suggestions?

TIA... :)

Reed
Jul 15th, 2009, 04:13 PM
I still don't really understand the concept of water conservation, to be honest.

leedsveg
Jul 15th, 2009, 04:39 PM
Why not drink your own wee?

http://www.theanswerbank.co.uk/Article480.html

leedsveg:eek:

herbwormwood
Jul 15th, 2009, 05:21 PM
1. At home I don't flush the toilet just for wee unless there starts to be a build up of toilet paper;
2. I only do washing up once a day;
3. I I live in a flat with no garden so no need to use water outside for gardens;
4. I don't drink bottled water.
5. I turn the tap off when brushing my teeth.

fiamma
Jul 15th, 2009, 05:59 PM
I still don't really understand the concept of water conservation, to be honest.

Just out of curiosity - do you pay for your water?

Festered
Jul 15th, 2009, 06:31 PM
Put a brick in the toilet cistern
Use same bathwater as housemate (I get in first!)
Water plants with leftover drinks tea/cordial etc
Wash up as little as possible (ok maybe that one's also 'cos I am lazy)

matt35mm
Jul 15th, 2009, 06:37 PM
I figure since I'm a vegan I can just let the water run and run and run. It saves me time when I want to get a drink of water or something.

Reed
Jul 15th, 2009, 07:07 PM
Just out of curiosity - do you pay for your water?

If you mean, do I buy bottled water, then no.

If you mean, do I have a water bill, the answer is also no.

Anyway, I've done some googling on water conservation and it is starting to make more sense.

fiamma
Jul 15th, 2009, 07:10 PM
I was referring to tap water. No water bill... lucky you. We, on the other hand do... one good reason to save as much as possible. Seriously, every time I turn on the tap I think of countries such as Africa where water means the difference between life and death for so many people.

puca
Jul 15th, 2009, 07:20 PM
I was referring to tap water. No water bill... lucky you. We, on the other hand do... one good reason to save as much as possible. Seriously, every time I turn on the tap I think of countries such as Africa where water means the difference between life and death for so many people.
Africa is a very big country. :p

lol if I take a bath I share it. XD

fiamma
Jul 15th, 2009, 07:29 PM
Africa is a very big country.

Many African countries, then ;)

Sloth
Jul 15th, 2009, 07:41 PM
I missed the above post where you referred to African countries instead of Africa as a country ;) Sorry about that.

Wooden Shoe
Jul 16th, 2009, 01:07 AM
In my house we have a sign in the bathroom: 'If it's yellow, let it mellow...if it's brown, flush it down'. It really does use a lot of water to flush your piss away each time, no need to get rid of it until it starts to ming. Also the brick in the cistern, having a water butt so you don't need to use tap water to water the plants. Having showers instead of baths, *unless your lucky enough to be invited to Puca's gaff! :p And not running the tap when brushing your teeth or shaving, only putting the washing machine on when it's a full load and doing one big load of washing up when it's needed. If you do have a car don't wash it at the car wash and don't use a hose, just some in a bucket.

Battles over precious resources such as water are already happening in the world, http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/jul/12/india-water-supply-bhopal There are even fears that future wars are likely to break out over water in some parts of the world. :(

Oh, and boycott Coca-Cola (if you didn't already!) if you're concerned about water shortages in parts of India and Latin America as their bottling plants use masses of water (2.7 litres to produce 1 litre of product). This is devastating when they're situated in drought prone areas such as Uttar Pradesh, and they have contaminated water sources in places like Kerala, as detailed in reports by War on Want. (Coupled with the fact they also do a nice line in workers' rights abuses as well as producing overly sugery crap!). It applies to all multi-nationals and mass produced products really, avoiding them as much as possible means you save water along with all the other positives it has for the planet, etc, etc. :thumbsup:

fiamma
Jul 16th, 2009, 09:07 AM
Note to self: Africa is a continent, you dummy. Sorry everyone. Note to self #2: Must Do Better :p

cobweb
Jul 16th, 2009, 01:36 PM
we have a timer on the shower (as my son can be very wasteful!)
our loos are the type that use a very small amount of water to flush, too

my son's primary school have a system where they use the rain water for the loos.

DavidT
Jul 16th, 2009, 01:37 PM
How do I save water?

We have no flush toilet; or, to be exact, it's been 'decommissioned'. We use a compost loo. All our poo 'n' pee is collected into a 'humanure' pile. Note that, as we have our own well, this saves electricity too. If anyone wants to know more about this, I'll start a separate thread. It's easy if you have the space and you end up with incredible compost.

We have several water butts around the garden for the collection of rainwater. More are planned as the veg. take a lot of water.

We have a low-flow shower; it's adequate.

We steam food rather than boil it wherever possible; this uses little water.

Save up the dishes rather than wash a few at a time.

We never buy bottled water. Ours is far too good: nothing comes near it.

That's all I can think of right now.

Buddha Belly
Jul 16th, 2009, 02:07 PM
How does the well save electricity? Am I being stupid? Pumping station electricity?

Opheliac
Jul 16th, 2009, 02:27 PM
To save water by showering and not bathing you have to consider that you only have three minutes, because more time under the shower would equate with a bath.

That's what I read in a magazine. (:

I think the "if it's yellow let it mellow [...]"-thing is such a great idea, but my mother doesn't seem to like that.. /: But we have a toilet where you can decide on your own how much water you need for your wee and stuff. ^^
If you don't have such a system, maybe those flush-buttons would help that say: "press twice to stop it". Does anyone understand what I mean? ^^"

DavidT
Jul 16th, 2009, 02:33 PM
How does the well save electricity? Am I being stupid? Pumping station electricity?

Sorry BB; badly put on my part. What I mean is, as we have our own well (which is an expensive option in both running and maintenance costs), not pumping water for the toilet gives us a huge saving on electrickery.

Buddha Belly
Jul 16th, 2009, 02:43 PM
Ok, sorry get it now.

How expensive is well upkeep? My friend had a spring which gave the tastiest water but cost quite a bit to pump.

DavidT
Jul 16th, 2009, 02:59 PM
We've been here 12 years.

Firstly, about five years we had to put in a new pump, its associated wiring and pressure tank. That was €1,200.

Since then, the pressure tank bladder failed three times. The engineer charged €45 for the first two occasions, then he recommended a new design of pressure tank, which he reckons has solved the old problems. €350.

While ever the pressure tank was malfunctioning (the first time for nearly a week) the pump would kick in every few seconds, trying to pressurise the bladder. I never worked out what that added to the leccy bill, but it would have been substantial as it draws 12 amps on start up.

The cost of actually pumping water from 130 feet down is surprisingly little. If we used what is classed as the 'average' for Irish usage (around 150 litres per person a day) and given that the pump only draws under 5 amps when running, it's roughly .4 of a kWhr per day, based upon it delivering 15 litres a minute.

I've seriously considered using a solar pv or windmill for pumping water but crikey, the cost! One day maybe.

cobweb
Jul 16th, 2009, 03:06 PM
oh yeah, we have a water butt, too

Gorilla
Jul 16th, 2009, 04:10 PM
i like the idea of composting toilets but have never had the space.

but i only flush when it needs it, and the toilet is a low-capacity cistern (so no need for a brick or hippo).
i never leave the tap running when brushing my teeth etc.
i only set off the washing machine or dishwasher when completely full and use the eco-settings whenever possible.
i never have a bath and always use a low-power shower (i don't time it because i only take as long as i absolutely have to and it would get on my nerves!). if i'm at home all day and not having visitors i'll shower every other day.
i use water from the water butt to water plants, to rinse out the recycling and do any other cleaning jobs around the house that need rinsing with water.
i don't buy bottled water unless i'm out and desperately thirsty with no other choice.

*live*&*let*live
Jul 16th, 2009, 04:44 PM
I figure since I'm a vegan I can just let the water run and run and run. It saves me time when I want to get a drink of water or something.

R u joking? :rolleyes: We share showers on occasion and everytime I fancy a bath it is shared, not second hand water, but we jump in together (not literally of course or we may end up in our lounge :o:D)
We have bottles that we take out with us to save on buying plastic water when out.
Wash up when sink is full
Only use amount of water needed in the kettle
Steam veg or stir fry (not so much to save water but as it's healthier)
Switch tap off when brushing teeth
We are not on an individual water meter here but pay monthly by dd. Fiamma I too think of people not having water as accessible as us. Especially when out with Elsie (our dog) and we take drinks with us, I always comment how easy it is for us. I asked my OH yesterday if you must become accustomed to being thirsty? Do you think the body adapts? I hate being thirsty and said that it must be awful when desperate for a drink and not being able to have one. :down::sad::mad: Basic human right IMO, water, food, roof over your head and clean air to breathe, with a lot of love thrown in.

Jiffy
Jul 17th, 2009, 01:12 PM
I used to share the bath with SWMBO, but it isn't all it's cracked up to be, all knees and elbows. I now make do with her second hand water.

I dunno, this playboy lifestyle gets too much sometimes.