PDA

View Full Version : Food types you have never eaten, but really want to try

Pages : [1] 2

Ms_Derious
Jul 16th, 2009, 04:10 PM
This thread is for foods or food types you have never eaten, but really want to try. Perhaps you could also say why you have never had them.

I'll start in post number two.

Ms_Derious
Jul 16th, 2009, 04:12 PM
Morel Mushrooms

I have only in the past year found out I actually like mushrooms, previously thinking I hated them, but I've not seen any morels anywhere, and expect they might be rather pricey if I did.

*live*&*let*live
Jul 16th, 2009, 04:13 PM
Vegan sushi, got most of the ingredients to make it and the mat to roll, but not got round to it. Mmmm, just thinking about it makes me wanna eat it! ;)

RubyDuby
Jul 16th, 2009, 04:43 PM
durian.

I hadn't even seen it anywhere until recently, and when I did it was so expensive I didn't want to buy it not knowing if it was ripe or edible or how to eat it...

also yuca. I can't find it.

*live*&*let*live
Jul 16th, 2009, 04:46 PM
^curious not even heard of them^:question:

harpy
Jul 16th, 2009, 04:48 PM
That's funny RubyDuby - I was thinking durian too, before I read your message. I don't think I've actually encountered one and I'm not 100% sure whether I want to try it or not.

There's some other supposedly evil-smelling fruit that it would be interesting to have but I can't think what it's called - oh, is it mangosteen?

RubyDuby
Jul 16th, 2009, 05:18 PM
I saw a couple of durian for sale in an asian grocery store.
I'm pretty sure I've never seen mangosteen either.

yuca = cassava. I've seen other forum members mention having that before and somebody posted a pic of the yuca tortillas from vcon in the pics of good food thread.

There's something else I've been wanting to try, but I can't remember what it was. I was on the look out in the asian grocer... TVP chunks and something else.

harpy
Jul 16th, 2009, 05:23 PM
I've actually had cassava in Indian and African restaurants - it seems very much like potato to me though I gather it's more trouble to prepare.

TVP chunks - just say no. (Although some people seem to like them.)

Mr Flibble
Jul 16th, 2009, 06:07 PM
Vegan Marshmallows

i want to try them, but am waiting till they are vaguely sensibly priced.

Lord Perennialist
Jul 16th, 2009, 06:13 PM
Vegannaise

I've heard of it, but back when I was a carnivore I thought Mayonnaise was the most disgusting thing in the world. Fat mixed with sugar. So I'm not sure I'm willing to try the vegan kind.

fiamma
Jul 16th, 2009, 06:26 PM
Natto (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natt%C5%8D).

Enchantress
Jul 16th, 2009, 09:07 PM
Jicama
Red bananas
Red quinoa
Vegan white chocolate
Oat, hemp or quinoa milk

fiamma
Jul 16th, 2009, 09:09 PM
Never heard of red bananas, or red quinoa. Sounds intriguing :)

Enchantress
Jul 16th, 2009, 09:14 PM
My local health food store sells red quinoa. I should pick up a box sometime soon.

helen105281
Jul 16th, 2009, 09:59 PM
Red quinoa is nice I often mix the two types together. Red bananas did not taste much different really.

Kate1978
Jul 16th, 2009, 10:01 PM
I've never tried tempeh!

*live*&*let*live
Jul 16th, 2009, 10:35 PM
Jicama
Red bananas
Red quinoa
Vegan white chocolate
Oat, hemp or quinoa milk

Oat milk is lovely but sweet, I recommend it on cereal and coffee as opposed to tea. I have seen red bananas but not tried them yet either. Let me know what you think! :smile:

Natto (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natt%C5%8D).

They look like raisins that you find in dodgy cheap curries years ago (may still do them, but I don't get them!) :satisfied::wink_ani:

I know something that we ALL haven't eaten (in a loooong time.................)
ANIMALS YAY!!!!!!!! :D:D:D:D

Mr Flibble
Jul 17th, 2009, 11:05 AM
I've never tried tempeh!

You're not missing much ;)

fiamma
Jul 17th, 2009, 11:19 AM
I love tempeh - it's great marinated and grilled. :thumbsup:

loveganism
Jul 17th, 2009, 12:42 PM
That's funny RubyDuby - I was thinking durian too, before I read your message. I don't think I've actually encountered one and I'm not 100% sure whether I want to try it or not.

There's some other supposedly evil-smelling fruit that it would be interesting to have but I can't think what it's called - oh, is it mangosteen?

Mangosteen is gorgeous and definitely not smelly! The outside is hard and red/purple, and the fresh fruit inside is very small and white, extremely sweet and fragrant. It's usually pretty expensive though- probably pay 80p-£1 to eat something the size of a very small clementine!

I bought a durian from China Town a few years ago. The flesh inside tastes like onion-flavoured vanilla custard. It's quite nice, in a weird way, but because I ate too much of it, I went off the taste a bit. The spikey shell smells a bit like a sewer, but not as bad as people say!

I would like to try: sapotes, jicama, carob pods, vegan marshmallow fluff (ricemallow?), vegan tiramisu :D

Ms_Derious
Jul 17th, 2009, 01:34 PM
I've never tried tempeh!

I hadn't until the start of this year, and now it's my favourite protein portion :)

It reminds me a bit of Quorn in texture*, but I don't get a gut stabbing stomach ache after eating it, so that's a reason even veggies should favour it over Quorn.

*Which makes sense as they are both based on fungal mycelia.

*live*&*let*live
Jul 17th, 2009, 05:28 PM
^ Is it like Tofu? I didn't like marinated Tofu (unless someone can recommend a specific brand won't try it again) Elsie loved it tho' :o
The brand I tried was Clear Spot from Abel & Cole Blerrgh..:eek:;)
I quite like the sound of battered Tempeh what is that like?

Ms_Derious
Jul 17th, 2009, 07:11 PM
Its not really like tofu, well, not to me. If you get a choice to have a 'nom' give it a go :)

everdream
Jul 17th, 2009, 08:51 PM
TVP chunks - just say no. (Although some people seem to like them.)
I happen to be one of them! Love 'em.:amazed_ani:

*live*&*let*live
Jul 17th, 2009, 08:53 PM
Its not really like tofu, well, not to me. If you get a choice to have a 'nom' give it a go :)
What is a nom please? :dizzy: